Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

On 8/6/2022 at 1:38 PM, tamarack said:

Our one HI trip stayed on Oahu, as my BIL lives in Haleiwa.  The temp difference between south shore Honolulu and the North Shore was quite a contrast, sunny 80s vs showery low 70s with locals shivering around their electric space heaters.  Coming from sleety Maine March, we much preferred the cool.

Big humidity difference too! 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I know nothing about HI climate, but how can an island in the middle of the ocean have big humidity differences?  I’ll have to do some looking at it, I just pictured the islands all similar climate.

Hawaii has at least 10 of the 14 climate zones.   Pretty neat stuff

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/hawaii-has-10-of-the-worlds-14-climate-zones-an-explorers-guide-to-each-of-them/

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I feel so naive.  Guess we need to visit now. The wife will be devastated.

Just a mile or two has such drastic difference in yearly rainfall. It's overwhelming. I was young last time. This time I had some knowledge under my belt from this forum, it was beyond cool. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I know nothing about HI climate, but how can an island in the middle of the ocean have big humidity differences?  I’ll have to do some looking at it, I just pictured the islands all similar climate.

8 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The Big Island has all but 2 of the Worlds climate zones.  Desert and Tundra are only 2.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

In my younger days I thought it would be a terrible place to be a forecaster because the weather never changes, but in some sense it's more difficult because everything is so subtle. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Absolutely!
Rain shadows downwind of the higher volcanic mountains are found on all the major islands.  It still amazes that HI has places that get rain similar to that at Phoenix and places (on Kauai) that are in the running for the Earth's wettest climate.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Ya the southwesten coast of Oahu was super dry ......like cactai dry.  But the north east coast was super lush with rain everyday.  Had to even put a shawl on to take the chill off at the Pali while looking at the wild chickens

On our 2016 visit, we had dinner one night at an Italian place in Honolulu, where it was 70s into late evening, and driving back to Haleiwa the car thermometer dropped down to 60 (with drizzle) as we went thru the notch between the mountains.  Probably less than 1500' asl so I was a bit surprised at the coolness.

Edit:  Just traced our route on Google Earth, and our drive peaked at a few feet above 1,000, a half mile or so north of Dole Plantation.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sad.  Seems like the defense did a "good" job of creating doubt, pointing to witness inconsistencies.  However, that's what eyewitnesses do.  The only way there would be no inconsistencies would be if all the witnesses had gathered and synchronized their stories.

On 8/7/2022 at 11:28 PM, DotRat_Wx said:

Just a mile or two has such drastic difference in yearly rainfall. It's overwhelming. I was young last time. This time I had some knowledge under my belt from this forum, it was beyond cool. 

Yeah the road to Hana. You can look behind you and it’s lush, but two miles ahead it looks like Mars. It’s crazy. 

• Like 2