Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

11 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Decided to opt to go back to southern Vermont after hitting up Burlington. We liked Lake Champlain, but did not care for Burlington. Ended up in Wilmington and loved it. This evening's sunset over Harriman Reservoir.

20220716_201756.thumb.jpg.d1b956ff09323b3f77e3b231c1a27ba7.jpg 

Why didn’t you like Burlington? I was up there walking around the lakefront last night. 

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Decided to opt to go back to southern Vermont after hitting up Burlington. We liked Lake Champlain, but did not care for Burlington. Ended up in Wilmington and loved it. This evening's sunset over Harriman Reservoir.

20220716_201756.thumb.jpg.d1b956ff09323b3f77e3b231c1a27ba7.jpg 

Nice choice!   I am an hour or under drive to most of Southern Vermont.  Go check out Grout Pond.  Not far from where you are. 
Also, the deck at Whetstone brewery in Brattleboro is quite nice.  The Marina in Brattleboro is also nice River views and outdoor dining.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bristolri_wx said:

I appreciate and love the photos that members post here.  Unfortunately in most cases they have been shrunk down to a size that makes them not look great if you want to use them for a wallpaper/desktop picture on a computer, tablet, or phone.  I thought it might be a good idea to create a shared Google Drive as a repository to post the full size versions of the photos we're seeing here, for those willing to share.  I've already set it up (you get 15GB of storage for free from Google), but wanted to see how others in the forum felt about this.

Here's the link to the shared folder on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fn4cL9VTB1viOiTYA2-BlsTsxZEzeHIJ?usp=sharing

If members decide that they want to participate, maybe we can create a thread dedicated to photos, or something like that.  What I'm looking forward to is being able to use some of these beautiful photos on my desktop as I stare all day at my computer 6 days a week, and hopefully share some of my own as well.

Thoughts?

great idea

23 hours ago, mreaves said:

Why didn’t you like Burlington? I was up there walking around the lakefront last night. 

We live in DC Metro. When we vacation, we don't want to be near people. 

13 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Did you stop at Stowe while you were up there?

Negative. Originally supposed to go Bennington -> Burlington -> Portland, ME, then home. We liked southern Vermont so much we decided to change everything and go back down after Burlington. Ended up in Wilmington and loved it. Just fish and lay by a lake. Amazed at the damage Hurricane Irene did...every restaurant in town had a picture of how bad they were flooded out during the event, there was a memorial to the fatality as well.

13 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

13 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

That makes sense. Did you drive down Rt. 100 or take Rt. 7 back dow to Bennington and the 9 to Wilmington?  I like 100 better than 7. 

Negative. Originally supposed to go Bennington -> Burlington -> Portland, ME, then home. We liked southern Vermont so much we decided to change everything and go back down after Burlington. Ended up in Wilmington and loved it. Just fish and lay by a lake. Amazed at the damage Hurricane Irene did...every restaurant in town had a picture of how bad they were flooded out during the event, there was a memorial to the fatality as well.

If you don't want to be around people why'd you plan to go to some of the biggest cities in the region?

We didn't think Burlington was going to be that big. Typical tourist mistake. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Talk about towns and growth.  I grew up in Pikesville in the 60's and 70's.  Left Baltimore in 79.  Reisterstown was a sleepy little town way out Reisterstown Road. Lots of corn fields past the Beltway.  They were just starting to clear for the NW expressway.  Now Owings Mills and Reisterstown are so built up.  

Tough week last week. Lost one of our dogs… 8 year old spaniel greyhound mix. Fine Tuesday morning, sick Tuesday afternoon. Went to the vet, she diagnosed her with immune mediated thrombocytopenia and took blood work to see how bad it was, sent us home with meds, call us Thursday with results.

Dog couldn’t move once we got her home, wouldn’t eat or drink or take any meds. She passed away at about 10pm on Wednesday night. Happened so fast.

• Sad 12

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Tough week last week. Lost one of our dogs… 8 year old spaniel greyhound mix. Fine Tuesday morning, sick Tuesday afternoon. Went to the vet, she diagnosed her with immune mediated thrombocytopenia and took blood work to see how bad it was, sent us home with meds, call us Thursday with results.

Dog couldn’t move once we got her home, wouldn’t eat or drink or take any meds. She passed away at about 10pm on Wednesday night. Happened so fast.

I’m very sorry man 

This is my MexiCali thunderstorm climate map I made.

The orange and red zone only rarely get summer thunderstorms. They are cool ocean Mediterranean or desert respectively… and are generally devoid of the ingredients.

But the yellow and green zones get thunderstorms in the summer at times. The yellow zone is a transition zone from desert to tropical.

What exactly goes on within these zones does vary depending on microclimate, but this is a general depiction.

This is mostly for coastal locations. The picture is a lot different when one heads inland anywhere along here.

I had asked myself at one point “ok so you don’t get thunderstorms in the summer here, and I know why. So how far south do you need to go before it becomes tropical?” This far.

6DB84825-DD50-49D1-9E8D-C4F9937F6C87.jpeg

12 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We didn't think Burlington was going to be that big. Typical tourist mistake. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sucks, wished we had known you were looking to avoid people, ha.  BTV is definitely a small city.  Traffic, parking, bustle.  Just on a lower scale.  Some great views of the lake, Adirondacks, etc.  University of VT, Champlain College, Saint Mikes in the area.  Lots of college students even in the summer when classes aren’t in session.

I’m with you, I’d rather chill in the woods on vacation than in a more urban area.

10 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Dude.  So sorry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sorry to hear man. It’s always tough losing a pet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sorry man it fuking sucks. We lost our OBI Saturday 

FB_IMG_1657989885910.jpg

• Sad 4

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

@powderfreak or any of you other Vermonters out there...

Are you familiar with this place? I'm considering getting some trees from him and may make the ride up this weekend. It's right next to MPV.

https://www.perfectcircle.farm/

I've never bought anything there but I drive by seemingly daily sometimes.  Like you said, it's pretty much next to MPV, not far from the end of one of their runways.  

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

I've never bought anything there but I drive by seemingly daily sometimes.  Like you said, it's pretty much next to MPV, not far from the end of one of their runways.  

He does a lot of grafted pawpaws there. I've been emailing with him for awhile. Seems like a nice guy.

Welp, I have a house now. Can’t wait to get everything moved in. I’ll be in the lawn thread looking for DIY tips as I got a landscaping quote today for $1k. :lol:

Part of me wants to put a camera on the roof and point it west but I’m not sure the neighbors would like that lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Welp, I have a house now. Can’t wait to get everything moved in. I’ll be in the lawn thread looking for DIY tips as I got a landscaping quote today for $1k. :lol:

Part of me wants to put a camera on the roof and point it west but I’m not sure the neighbors would like that lol. 

Congrats! Now you can be broke too! Lol. It’s nice having only yourself to blame when something breaks. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I just had a stroke looking at this 

Do you like how in the middle there’s suddenly a spot that just says “TEXT”!! Like I made an error by adding a text window and just didn’t do anything with it or notice it before I wrapped up my work and sent it out.

And in the southern part of the Western Sierra on the map I may have been slightly too generous. The cutoff may be more brutal but then again I’ve experienced thunderstorms in the foothills there on multiple occasions just by visiting so…