Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

6 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I have a family history of heart stuff, high blood pressure, and am in my mid 50s.  We prob won't be doing any strenuous hikes but I might pick up a couple at Walmart near Denver

Parts of Rocky Mountain Nat Park are over 10k feet, Mesa Verde, Black Canyon, etc are pretty high. Plus Pike's Peak

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I think some parts of the park are over 11k, I started feeling it at about 8k driving up Pikes at one of the stop offs.

We got up towards 10K a couple of times in Wyoming last year in the car and 9K walking around and doing light hikes.  I was surprised that I didn't feel much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

https://whdh.com/news/new-hampshire-search-for-maura-murray-over-investigation-continues/

This is such a weird story. My wife listened to one of her true crimes thing on it

I'm in that area of NH frequently..... Not much there and it's so odd of a story... Not the place you would go if you wanted to lose your identity as someone would notice you

I don't get altitude sickness, but I do "notice" elevation during my first couple days at higher altitudes.

That said, for me, the key is sleeping a high altitude. For example, when skiing at Telluride, you're sleeping at about 9,000 feet. So despite the fact that you're skiing at 11-12,500 feet, it doesn't affect me too much. Similarly, when I hiked Kings Peak, UT (13,528ft), we camped at about 11,000 feet the night before summiting. I don't remember being winded by elevation, more so by the death march that was the exit from the wilderness (30ish mile day). 

On the other end of the stick, I definitely notice the elevation when skiing at comparatively low Snowbird (9-11,000ft) when I'm sleeping at 4,500 feet in the valley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our plan is to hit 4 National Parks.  Rocky Mountain, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, and Great Sand Dune.  A couple of 6 hour driving days and sleeping in 4 different places.  Also hoping to do the Durango-Silverton train (wife spent a semester in college in Durango), Pike’s Peak, and Garden of the Gods.  

Plus assorted breweries I’m sure

• Like 5

I went to an estate sale today and found this nice little booklet.  I asked the first moderator, that was running the sale, how much it was and she said, she would “need to look it up”. 
So then I went and asked the moderator in the next room and he said “how about a dollar?”  :lol:

Published in 1938!

03FF2BF1-29E8-4FA7-AEFF-57B468C480A1.thumb.jpeg.4f4cde630d2b110994f060eecf2fe29d.jpeg07A592E7-AB19-44E1-AC1E-744AE85F0454.thumb.jpeg.07db4adc161781037c940a87ca99e30c.jpeg

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I went to an estate sale today and found this nice little booklet.  I asked the first moderator, that was running the sale, how much it was and she said, she would “need to look it up”. 
So then I went and asked the moderator in the next room and he said “how about a dollar?”  :lol:

Published in 1938!

03FF2BF1-29E8-4FA7-AEFF-57B468C480A1.thumb.jpeg.4f4cde630d2b110994f060eecf2fe29d.jpeg07A592E7-AB19-44E1-AC1E-744AE85F0454.thumb.jpeg.07db4adc161781037c940a87ca99e30c.jpeg

While portions of New England have experienced greater floods - VT in 11/27, western CT/MA in 8/55, central Maine in 4/87 - March 1936 is probably the most widespread major flood in the 6-state area's records.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Published in 1938!

Score

I appreciate and love the photos that members post here.  Unfortunately in most cases they have been shrunk down to a size that makes them not look great if you want to use them for a wallpaper/desktop picture on a computer, tablet, or phone.  I thought it might be a good idea to create a shared Google Drive as a repository to post the full size versions of the photos we're seeing here, for those willing to share.  I've already set it up (you get 15GB of storage for free from Google), but wanted to see how others in the forum felt about this.

Here's the link to the shared folder on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fn4cL9VTB1viOiTYA2-BlsTsxZEzeHIJ?usp=sharing

If members decide that they want to participate, maybe we can create a thread dedicated to photos, or something like that.  What I'm looking forward to is being able to use some of these beautiful photos on my desktop as I stare all day at my computer 6 days a week, and hopefully share some of my own as well.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, bristolri_wx said:

I appreciate and love the photos that members post here.  Unfortunately in most cases they have been shrunk down to a size that makes them not look great if you want to use them for a wallpaper/desktop picture on a computer, tablet, or phone.  I thought it might be a good idea to create a shared Google Drive as a repository to post the full size versions of the photos we're seeing here, for those willing to share.  I've already set it up (you get 15GB of storage for free from Google), but wanted to see how others in the forum felt about this.

Here's the link to the shared folder on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fn4cL9VTB1viOiTYA2-BlsTsxZEzeHIJ?usp=sharing

If members decide that they want to participate, maybe we can create a thread dedicated to photos, or something like that.  What I'm looking forward to is being able to use some of these beautiful photos on my desktop as I stare all day at my computer 6 days a week, and hopefully share some of my own as well.

Thoughts?

Good idea, or you could put naked girls on your screen like the rest of us :P

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Decided to opt to go back to southern Vermont after hitting up Burlington. We liked Lake Champlain, but did not care for Burlington. Ended up in Wilmington and loved it. This evening's sunset over Harriman Reservoir.

20220716_201756.thumb.jpg.d1b956ff09323b3f77e3b231c1a27ba7.jpg 

Nice, enjoy.  Although you may be the first person ever to say they enjoyed Bennington more than Burlington...lol. I think you had a post the other day about it. 

Their are defintley more "quaint vermont towns" I guess than Burlington if that is what you are after.