Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Some New England/Dacks ski areas will run a lift for summer tourism - easy way to get views.  (Or at least they did 51 years ago.  On our honeymoon excursion we rode the gondi at Stowe and the terrifying chairlift to Little Whiteface.)

Thanks! Now all we need is some fishing recommendations and we're set.

21 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

You skipped the man's best beer song: 

Great...More country songs promoting getting completely obliterated.  Keeping the stereotype alive. :beer:
[Disclaimer...The above comment is coming from a guy who doesn't remember half of what he did on July 2nd and July 4th parties last weekend,...and his girlfriend was not thrilled about his actions]

:whistle:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Thanks! Now all we need is some fishing recommendations and we're set.

Most waters encountered in those states have decent (or better) fishing, and most offer temporary licenses, 1 day/3 day/7 day (some/all of those periods) that are lots cheaper than a full year non-resident license.  Can't make more specific recommendations without knowing your itinerary.

23 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

:blink: Wonder what happened to him. That is pretty crazy.

I read the hiking party was covered in snow but mostly powder dust from the dust cloud.  By that point I think most of the heavier debris has pulled up short but the powder cloud can rush ahead at like 60-80mph for quite a while before dissipating.  It would’ve been hard IMO for the “real” burial debris to make it up that little gully.  Had they been down in that terrain trap though might have been much worse off.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tamarack said:

Some New England/Dacks ski areas will run a lift for summer tourism - easy way to get views.  (Or at least they did 51 years ago.  On our honeymoon excursion we rode the gondi at Stowe and the terrifying chairlift to Little Whiteface.)

@Eskimo Joe I was going to say that you could drive up the Toll Rd. on Mt. Mansfield but when I looked, it says closed right now.  @powderfreak might have more info on that.  If that is your type of thing, you should take a ride up the Mt. Washington Toll Rd. if you're in that area.  It can make you a bit queasy at times if you have a fear of heights.  

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

@Eskimo Joe I was going to say that you could drive up the Toll Rd. on Mt. Mansfield but when I looked, it says closed right now.  @powderfreak might have more info on that.  If that is your type of thing, you should take a ride up the Mt. Washington Toll Rd. if you're in that area.  It can make you a bit queasy at times if you have a fear of heights.  

A week or two ago we had that FROPA drop a very fast 1-2” and the upper Toll Rd slid.  The slide ran a few hundred feet down through the woods.  They are currently working on reinforcing the hillside.

From what I saw on the progress my guess is next weekend it reopens.

AACB0C3D-B9D5-434B-B949-9B63524EB7BD.jpeg.2faaae5253400cdc7bf1c1221abebbf6.jpeg64BCBB61-072B-4A7D-9E43-CDC0E44430D2.jpeg.2dec2e19ef7f90dff781c27432898e9c.jpeg7C89B8A6-C19F-49D5-ABC9-2DF504C7A1CD.jpeg.f322188ff968be9a6b61fec5454c0e80.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

A week or two ago we had that FROPA drop a very fast 1-2” and the upper Toll Rd slid.  The slide ran a few hundred feet down through the woods.  They are currently working on reinforcing the hillside.

From what I saw on the progress my guess is next weekend it reopens.

AACB0C3D-B9D5-434B-B949-9B63524EB7BD.jpeg.2faaae5253400cdc7bf1c1221abebbf6.jpeg64BCBB61-072B-4A7D-9E43-CDC0E44430D2.jpeg.2dec2e19ef7f90dff781c27432898e9c.jpeg7C89B8A6-C19F-49D5-ABC9-2DF504C7A1CD.jpeg.f322188ff968be9a6b61fec5454c0e80.jpeg

Plenty of room still for a vehicle, my SIL freaked out when I drove up to the top. My wife and sister had anxiety when I drove up Pikes Peak.

11 hours ago, tamarack said:

Hey Tom.

https://ctexaminer.com/2022/07/05/as-beech-leaf-disease-spreads-across-connecticut-scientists-gauge-effects/

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Oxygen canisters are a must 

I have a family history of heart stuff, high blood pressure, and am in my mid 50s.  We prob won't be doing any strenuous hikes but I might pick up a couple at Walmart near Denver

Parts of Rocky Mountain Nat Park are over 10k feet, Mesa Verde, Black Canyon, etc are pretty high. Plus Pike's Peak

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I have a family history of heart stuff, high blood pressure, and am in my mid 50s.  We prob won't be doing any strenuous hikes but I might pick up a couple at Walmart near Denver

Parts of Rocky Mountain Nat Park are over 10k feet, Mesa Verde, Black Canyon, etc are pretty high. Plus Pike's Peak

I think some parts of the park are over 11k, I started feeling it at about 8k driving up Pikes at one of the stop offs.

• Like 1

Yeah looks like black walnut to me. If you decide to plant some be careful what you plant them near because they are high in juglone. I was growing some in pots here last year, but a vole killed all but one of them and even that one had to sprout back from the base.