Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Is that facing the southwest quadrant? Did it start in the spring? If so it looks like southwest injury. I’d let it callous and heal on its own. Painting the bark white before winter helps that. Basically the juices get flowing on the S-W side during sunny, warm stretches in late winter and then harder freezes start to split it. The white paint reflects the sun.

I think you may have nailed the issue. The spot I sent in the pic is dead southwest and so is the older spot I just noticed.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks…. I just noticed one higher up on the tree… same direction, that looks like it’s healed up/closed.

I’ll take a look at the fungus stuff just to be safe.

the tree appears to be healthy…. Fully leafed out, and putting out good new growth 

Is that a Japanese cherry or another exotic?  Sure doesn't look like the native ones.  (Or it's the biggest chokecherry ever.)

I'd never encountered the term "southwest injury", but it makes sense if there's a very mild and sunny day ahead of the growing season - bark gets scalded and dies.  "Sunscald" is one I've known about since forestry school, usually an issue when formerly shaded trees get exposed to sun by a thinning.  It's particularly an issue when thinning young white pine.

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Is that a Japanese cherry or another exotic?  Sure doesn't look like the native ones.  (Or it's the biggest chokecherry ever.)

I'd never encountered the term "southwest injury", but it makes sense if there's a very mild and sunny day ahead of the growing season - bark gets scalded and dies.  "Sunscald" is one I've known about since forestry school, usually an issue when formerly shaded trees get exposed to sun by a thinning.  It's particularly an issue when thinning young white pine.

I’m pretty sure I first read about it here, probably a Dendrite post.  Here is a link:

https://www.purdue.edu/fnr/extension/preparations-to-prevent-southwest-injury/

• Like 1

I think people use a 50/50 mix of white latex paint and water on the SW half of the tree in the fall. There's other things you can use as well if you search online....tree white wash, lime wash, white milk based paint, etc.

You can use white guards, but voles can wiggle in there and gnaw right up the tree. I have a maple out back that I noticed has a large crack right down its south facing side.

7 hours ago, Whineminster said:

We read about this yesterday.  Absolutely sucks for all involved.  I wouldn't eat it.

The company wasn't doing it maliciously. No one was trying to create this problem.  Yet here we are.  

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We read about this yesterday.  Absolutely sucks for all involved.  I wouldn't eat it.

The company wasn't doing it maliciously. No one was trying to create this problem.  Yet here we are.  

No they weren't, I feel bad for them too, they made a quality product at a good price.  

Yeah and the garden is next to my well, granted my well is 200' deep in rock and I just put it there this year, but still.   Eeeek! Luckily I'm on the other side of town. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The irony...organic composting facility leaching out forever toxic compounds into the water.

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Headed up to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine this week. Never been to Vermont before. Looking forward to traveling around the area.

That’s a sizable area to cover considering there are no great east to west routes across those states.

Enjoy, it’s a beautiful time of year to visit northern New England.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Nice. Where are you going to be in VT?

Burlington

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That’s a sizable area to cover considering there are no great east to west routes across those states.

Enjoy, it’s a beautiful time of year to visit northern New England.

We're just taking our time. First vacation in 2 years. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, alex said:

:) I’m originally from italy so we rented a cat with my family which is still in Italy. Nice way to do a family reunion after 3 years of not seeing them due to COVID! 

why would you rent a cat? couldn't you just adopt one from a local shelter? :P

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Any plumbers or similarly skilled folks?  I’ve got a leak underneath a bathroom sink. I circled the bad part. This seems to click when I pull it out and push it back in, but still leaks when using the sink. Any recommendations on how to fix this?

5CB759E9-5CEB-4AFC-9230-7B22D59D5CA8.jpeg

That's the sink stopper/lever. It's leaking out of there or out of those black threads where the pipe attaches to the sink?

11 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Burlington

We're just taking our time. First vacation in 2 years. 

Some New England/Dacks ski areas will run a lift for summer tourism - easy way to get views.  (Or at least they did 51 years ago.  On our honeymoon excursion we rode the gondi at Stowe and the terrifying chairlift to Little Whiteface.)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sweet man. Glad you were reunited 

Thanks! :)

some really cool spots in this area. Just went into a cave, maybe 1/5 mile deep and you get to a beach at the end of it in complete darkness. This is my nephew coming out of it.  Lots of cool places in the world. Most Americans don’t even know these islands exist, and yet they’re a stone throw from Rome where you have to battle like a million to look at a fountain. 

E316E955-4961-4E1B-AA30-6B47D40D0182.jpeg

E981E2C8-C2A8-4523-BB88-CB639B908E77.jpeg

3EB1D61D-DB20-4DE9-98F5-9B10B0DB11D8.jpeg

5B26E3FE-4DF5-4FC2-8AA3-A125507EE0F1.jpeg

C20AD2A3-6AB1-4F1A-BEEC-6E096088F14D.jpeg

BF88DBDB-BB70-4D12-8874-1BBCFF6BBE6C.jpeg

• Like 2