Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The worst night to be a dog.

We are right next to the town of Stowe display that takes place in neighboring fields.  Dog reacts like WWIII.  The industrial grade fireworks are close, like you feel it in your body as a human.  We are right on the closure do not enter line.

She got a heavy sedative two hours ago (she gets a lighter version daily to keep her energy levels down after her knee surgery) and goes into the master bathroom with loud relaxation music and fan on.  As dumb as it sounds, it seems to work.  

• Like 4

The noise is bad enough, but I can't imagine how much debris pollution is being spread around the country right now. My neighbors shot some up in 2020 and I spent 3 hours in my backyard picking up all of the parts so my chickens couldn't eat them. I wish NH would ban them again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The noise is bad enough, but I can't imagine how much debris pollution is being spread around the country right now. My neighbors shot some up in 2020 and I spent 3 hours in my backyard picking up all of the parts so my chickens couldn't eat them. I wish NH would ban them again.

Boom boom chicken tho...

l.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Sorry. :( 

• Haha 2

Living 600 feet on a hill above Newfound Lake was quite a sight.  Most of the houses and cottages that line this 7 mile long lake are owned by Southern New Englanders.  Everyone was up this weekend shooting them off over the lake.  Although the town of Bristol puts on a great show  backyard fireworks went on for 3 nights.  Hours of explosions.  We put on the AC and keep our 4 cats in a room.  I'm sure Newfound Lake is littered with debris this morning.

I wonder how pets do in Florida when there is thunder almost every day?  Do they get use to it?

https://video.nest.com/clip/53bdd3a09ea2434883bb1e02d9c7d537.mp4

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We are right next to the town of Stowe display that takes place in neighboring fields.  Dog reacts like WWIII.  The industrial grade fireworks are close, like you feel it in your body as a human.  We are right on the closure do not enter line.

She got a heavy sedative two hours ago (she gets a lighter version daily to keep her energy levels down after her knee surgery) and goes into the master bathroom with loud relaxation music and fan on.  As dumb as it sounds, it seems to work.  

We also gave some sedation to Tigger and put on beach river sounds and it worked. Actually the 3rd was much worse today.

Found these 2 fatties yesterday when clipping under my chestnut trees. Notice the dried up catties next to them…there were more not in the pic. All of my oaks seem fine so far, but these 2 spongys were definitely plump and pooping up a pile. They weren’t moving when I touched them so idk if they were dying. Seems weird that they were on an old oak leaf. Maybe they liked the chestnut but it killed them in the long run? 

@Damage In Tolland

image.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Found these 2 fatties yesterday when clipping under my chestnut trees. Notice the dried up catties next to them…there were more not in the pic. All of my oaks seem fine so far, but these 2 spongys were definitely plump and pooping up a pile. They weren’t moving when I touched them so idk if they were dying. Seems weird that they were on an old oak leaf. Maybe they liked the chestnut but it killed them in the long run? 

@Damage In Tolland

image.jpeg

Siesta during the day and then massive damage at night.

• Sad 1

I regret sounding "that way" but, if I were being completely honest with self part of me last night harbored resentful feelings at the very notion of any celebratory traditions that hubris the ole Red White and Blue. 

Pride is fleeting ... Not sure how any sentient being the fits into any kind of moral taxonomy really could.  I don't know.  It's no movement to manipulate people with some moral heavy handedness ( i.e. gaslighting') to recognize that,

...killing innocence by means of

(constitutional history + moral decay and the loss of community)/2   = civility cancer

That cannot in good conscience be celebrated.    

Engaging in any celebration of pride and national spirit when bullets cause  Red blood to flow because of White -rooted supremacy in a Blue tinted moral state of decay ... What the f do "fireworks" mean again?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I used to like them but I've soured on them.  

I like them but they are pretty obnoxious and disruptive in neighborhoods.  
I love the whoosh of big 8-10oz rockets but man are they dangerously unpredictable. I can’t believe they are legal.  Lol. 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

@Damage In Tolland

image.jpeg

i noticed a lot of tree damage heading up the southern part of I-89 the other day, and also on 202/9 in Henniker. not good

Sad day yesterday.  My wife grew up in Highland Park, IL and her mom and aunt were at the parade and in the line of fire.  By luck and who knows what they escaped unscathed.  The familiar downtown where I’ve been countless times is a scene of carnage.  And that was one of 2 mass shootings in Chicagoland yesterday.  Our nation is broken and the potus babbles about how we’re together.  I don’t know any answers…

• Sad 10

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Sad day yesterday.  My wife grew up in Highland Park, IL and her mom and aunt were at the parade and in the line of fire.  By luck and who knows what they escaped unscathed.  The familiar downtown where I’ve been countless times is a scene of carnage.  And that was one of 2 mass shootings in Chicagoland yesterday.  Our nation is broken and the potus babbles about how we’re together.  I don’t know any answers…

Yeah, shit gets a lot more real when you know somebody that was there.  Glad they are ok. 
our society is an emotional mess and seems to be heading in the wrong direction with regards to mental health. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, shit gets a lot more real when you know somebody that was there.  Glad they are ok. 
our society is an emotional mess and seems to be heading in the wrong direction with regards to mental health. 

Not to be a douche but that was true 20 years ago ...

This?  We're in the next higher order dystopia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Mental health struggles are all around the world though. Mass shootings are the result of easy access to guns, which is the only thing America is number 1 in.

Mental health and mass shootings are not directly correlated. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/mental-health/stop-conflating-mass-shootings-with-mental-illness/?amp=1

• Thanks 1

“It’s important to understand the most common underlying factors that lead to violence: untreated anger, family violence, past history of violent acts, growing up where violence is used, and being young and male. To be clear, anger is not a mental illness. Hatred of others is not a mental illness. 

Wasting time pointing to mental illness doesn’t get us closer as a nation to solving the gun violence epidemic, and doing so leads to discrimination and stigma against those with mental illness — who are more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators.

Other countries with similar percentages of people with mental illness in their populations don’t see the same level of mass gun violence that we do in the U.S. In 1996, a massacre in Scotland killed 16 students and one teacher. The United Kingdom took legislative action, and 23 years later, all forms of gun violence have significantly dropped. In stark contrast, America has more guns and more guns per capita than any other nation. With 120 civilian firearms for every 100 people, the United States more than doubles the next country in line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to be a douche but that was true 20 years ago ...

This?  We're in the next higher order dystopia.

A fourth of July parade…..At this point it’s not a matter of if but when you or the people you love will be affected by gun violence. We’re just sitting on our hands waiting for the bullets to hit our kids, spouses, parents, etc. We had an assault weapons ban before and the government didn’t go all King George and take away our freedoms. Time to ban them again. I know that there are millions who will never give them up but perhaps it could stop from getting these weapons in the hands of a few would be killers. It’s a lot harder to kill lots of people with a hand gun, shot gun, single shot rifle, or a knife. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

I’m sorry fella. Unfortunately the only answer is an extremely drastic one.

The first video in this Instagram post has to be the most visual depiction of our country that I have seen in a very long time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfooKSHtprl/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That video, of Americans running away from a celebratory fireworks display because of an active shooter is absolutely on-brand for the USA.  If that doesn't drive home the point, its hard to imagine what would.  Americans, going to celebrate our Independence, are in full sprint away from the celebration because someone is gunning them down.

The imagery is incredibly damming to the American brand.  We as a citizenry were regarded world wide as the model of civilization and the great American experience was a full win.  Not anymore, their are cracks.

Cracks in the foundation have occurred.  Widening cracks as the ground shifts over time.  Maybe it's as simple a comparison as a single house/homeowner, who after a long period of time experiences cracks in the foundation.  There are some growing structural issues, even with a grand home standing above it.  The owners revamp it, repair the foundation but the house above it remains the great place it always was... and it's an expensive fix.  It was stressful.  But in the end, the homeowner is left with another period (decades) of stability in that house.  Eventually the foundation will crack again, but you repair it and enjoy another run of prosperity.

On the flip side, we cannot forget the millions of Americans who work together.  The unspoken majority.  A friend wrote this, it's not a viral post or quote.  But he explained it quite well.  There are a lot of us out there who are a melting pot that just want to improve ourselves and country daily.  It's not a team sport, you can be both dismayed at the current state of things and yet proud to be an American.  It's not a team sport.  Say that to yourself as many times as you can.

Untitled.jpg.150563ba7e84b66220eb19f68dcf13d7.jpg

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The first video in this Instagram post has to be the most visual depiction of our country that I have seen in a very long time.

That video, of Americans running away from a celebratory fireworks display because of an active shooter is absolutely on-brand for the USA.  If that doesn't drive home the point, its hard to imagine what would.  Americans, going to celebrate our Independence, are in full sprint away from the celebration because someone is gunning them down.

The imagery is incredibly damming to the American brand.  We as a citizenry were regarded world wide as the model of civilization and the great American experience was a full win.  Not anymore, their are cracks.

Cracks in the foundation have occurred.  Widening cracks as the ground shifts over time.  Maybe it's as simple a comparison as a single house/homeowner, who after a long period of time experiences cracks in the foundation.  There are some growing structural issues, even with a grand home standing above it.  The owners revamp it, repair the foundation but the house above it remains the great place it always was... and it's an expensive fix.  It was stressful.  But in the end, the homeowner is left with another period (decades) of stability in that house.  Eventually the foundation will crack again, but you repair it and enjoy another run of prosperity.

On the flip side, we cannot forget the millions of Americans who work together.  The unspoken majority.  A friend wrote this, it's not a viral post or quote.  But he explained it quite well.  There are a lot of us out there who are a melting pot that just want to improve ourselves and country daily.  It's not a team sport, you can be both dismayed at the current state of things and yet proud to be an American.  It's not a team sport.  Say that to yourself as many times as you can.

Well said and agreed.

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We have a yearly tradition of parking at a friends house in downtown Greenfield, having a big feast and then walking over to the fireworks. (they were on Friday)
This year one of the guests brought they’re three tenants, three quiet young men in their late 20’s.  They recently moved here from Southwest Afghanistan and were all in the military.  
Only one of them spoke enough English for me to effectively communicate with him.  He was telling me about how happy they were to be in the US and away from the influence of the Taliban.
We all walked down to the big field in town for the fireworks and they were amazed at how many people turn out. They were also amazed and a little bit horrified that we celebrate our country with explosions in the sky.  They were good sports about it but I could tell they were a little bit rattled by the big fireworks.  It definitely made me pause to think about it as a tradition. “The rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air.”

• Like 3