Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We almost decided on a Canada trip instead of the Colorado one. Our son’s girlfriend’s passport had expired though and we didn’t think her renewed one would arrive in time. 

Is an enhanced driver’s license available?  That’s what my son has. His passport needs renewing too. 

41 minutes ago, BrianW said:

@powderfreak

Rubbermaid industrial and supposedly bear proof trash can was easily defeated. Its been a very active summer here in Northern NJ with bears at our lake cabin.

20220702-072812.jpg

Ha those look easy for the bears.  Probably pop them like a pimple, just squeeze until the garbage pops out.  That’s what they do with our compost buckets.  Can’t get the top off so he smacks his paws together on both sides of it and it explodes.

58 minutes ago, BrianW said:

@powderfreak

Rubbermaid industrial and supposedly bear proof trash can was easily defeated. Its been a very active summer here in Northern NJ with bears at our lake cabin.

20220702-072812.jpg

The NNJ lake community where i grew up (1950-71) now has bears wandering between the houses - most on lots 1/4-1/2 acre - and along the road I took for the 1/2-mile walk to the beach.  Never saw one while living there, only a friend's sighting one crossing a side road about a mile from our home.

More pics from the Mt Blanc area (both Italian and French side - Courmayeur and Chamonix). Went on the “ice train” to the glacier cave today. So sad to see how the glacier is retreating. About 8 meters of ice lost every year - it’s crazy. I remember as a child a glacier that went almost all the way into Courmayeur, now you have to hike up some 3000 feet higher in elevation to find any ice, and where the glacier used to be is just a round valley filled with rubble. So sad. 

B5495B06-182A-410E-8830-2D244AD9B2BF.jpeg

D15D69F6-B869-454C-9A2E-F1E669667A25.jpeg

CB8516B9-EDE4-4051-900D-9B87DE61440F.jpeg

55AD620A-97E0-45C2-9277-4F9BEC5C200E.jpeg

5CC88B82-7596-4396-BB50-E41694D01788.jpeg

65A041C7-9C45-4BFF-A983-93C84C5E3CAE.jpeg

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s sick Dave!  Right in the yard.

That was taken from inside.  I wish I had been on the front steps.   He (?) went though our yard and through the woods to our side and back.  A neighbor on the next street over posted a video of the moose going through her back yard a few minutes later.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That was taken from inside.  I wish I had been on the front steps.   He (?) went though our yard and through the woods to our side and back.  A neighbor on the next street over posted a video of the moose going through her back yard a few minutes later.  

Thank god you had Ginx’s old camera! :whistle:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Looks like some nubs ahead of the ears, so likely a yearling bull.  Weve had moose prune our apple trees, though less often than deer, but neither critter has messed with the garden.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mreaves said:

I immediately thought of Alex when this flashed up on my phone earlier. Not sure if he is anywhere near there. 

Thanks. I appreciate that. No I’m in Val d’Aosta, on the Western Italian Alps - on the border with French. The collapse was way East of here.  Crazy to see that. You can’t really see it from my pictures but as you take the 5 Km gondola above the “Mer de Glace” you realize how the glacier is a giant playground. There are groups of 20-30 people rappelling down into crevasses, and many groups of hikers all roped to each other making the treck from Punta Helbroner on the Italian side, above Courmayeur, to Aguille du Midi, on the French side above Chamonix. It’s a bit surreal because the area is essentially a plateau at about 3500 m of elevation, so it feels like you're crossing Antarctica on a tiny 4 person gondola that spans 5 Km, about 3 miles, with not a single supporting beam. The glacier is called Mer de Glace, sea of ice - and pretty aptly named. As a kid I remember there being lifts there (movable J Hook style tows) but apparently they recently decided that the occasional skier falling into a crevasse is not worth it. The Mer de Glace gondola was closed for years - not sure why, so we jumped at the opportunity to do it since it was open and it was worth every minute, truly a once in a lifetime experience, although a bit scary. It’s about an hour and a half round trip in a tiny cramped 4 person gondola suspended at 3300-3800m of elevation above a glacier. Definitely anxiety provoking but the scenery is just indescribable. Sad that people lost lives visiting such incredible places - and even sadder that these places may be gone when my kids are my age. 

• Like 2