• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Watch out.  The Bears are getting smarter.  Very educated bears around here.  They have always been smart... our trash is in a so-called "bear proof" contraption but a mama bear dismantled it last week and spread trash everywhere while my wife watched a cub run around the yard.  That's business as usual.  But now they have been opening doors.

Lately on the Stowe Front Porch Forum have been numerous posts about bears opening doors and letting themselves into places. 

Here's two consecutive posts about bears opening car doors.  Then a friend on instagram has a video of a bear trying to open a shed door.

These animals are hilarious :lol:.  Black bears are like racoons mixed with pigs.  Very resourceful, crafty, and will eat anything but aren't hunters, only scavengers.

This animal in the video (I only showed a screen shot) is literally trying to turn the knob and open the door.  These creatures are smart.

2.thumb.jpg.39ac0fd4792e7918323fc8753179a146.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Watch out.  The Bears are getting smarter.  Very educated bears around here.  They have always been smart... our trash is in a so-called "bear proof" contraption but a mama bear dismantled it last week and spread trash everywhere while my wife watched a cub run around the yard.  That's business as usual.  But now they have been opening doors.

Lately on the Stowe Front Porch Forum have been numerous posts about bears opening doors and letting themselves into places. 

Here's two consecutive posts about bears opening car doors.  Then a friend on instagram has a video of a bear trying to open a shed door.

These animals are hilarious :lol:.  Black bears are like racoons mixed with pigs.  Very resourceful, crafty, and will eat anything but aren't hunters, only scavengers.

This animal in the video (I only showed a screen shot) is literally trying to turn the knob and open the door.  These creatures are smart.

Wait til they learn about locksmiths. 

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

https://video.nest.com/clip/801114b066444ddfa5da007d4b7a8a1a.mp4

https://video.nest.com/clip/3a859ca2effd4724b69c1df80784ed4e.mp4

I forgot to take in my Feeder on Monday night and had one come to the back of the house, which has happened many times.  What is interesting is that the Bear is so delicate with the Feeder, he just sucks the seeds like a vaccuum it seems, the holes are pretty small where the seed comes out.  The Feeder itself is still the exact same shape it was before he got to it, not like he smashed it into pieces and then ate the seeds-seems to have some experience with these feeders---lol.

The second clip is funny, dude just pops a squat on the lawn enjoying his feast..ha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The boldface isn't totally true.  During the most recent (unsuccessful) attempt to reintroduce caribou to Maine, bear kills trailed only the brainworm in dooming the project.  There were a number of cow-calf double kills, as these non-migratory animals from Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula had learned that they could stand their ground and save their calf against a single wolf.  Didn't work for bears.  The bruin's incredible sense of smell also enables them to occasionally find deer fawns as well.  Old saying:  An Indian shot an arrow into the air.  The eagle saw it fall, the deer heard it fall, the bear smelled it fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

https://video.nest.com/clip/801114b066444ddfa5da007d4b7a8a1a.mp4

https://video.nest.com/clip/3a859ca2effd4724b69c1df80784ed4e.mp4

I forgot to take in my Feeder on Monday night and had one come to the back of the house, which has happened many times.  What is interesting is that the Bear is so delicate with the Feeder, he just sucks the seeds like a vaccuum it seems, the holes are pretty small where the seed comes out.  The Feeder itself is still the exact same shape it was before he got to it, not like he smashed it into pieces and then ate the seeds-seems to have some experience with these feeders---lol.

The second clip is funny, dude just pops a squat on the lawn enjoying his feast..ha.

Haha that’s hilarious.  “Why stand, let’s just sit down and relax and enjoy this meal.”

I think I heard a VT Game Warden say the black bears can smell a single sunflower seed dipped in black oil from a mile away.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The boldface isn't totally true.  During the most recent (unsuccessful) attempt to reintroduce caribou to Maine, bear kills trailed only the brainworm in dooming the project.  There were a number of cow-calf double kills, as these non-migratory animals from Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula had learned that they could stand their ground and save their calf against a single wolf.  Didn't work for bears.  The bruin's incredible sense of smell also enables them to occasionally find deer fawns as well.  Old saying:  An Indian shot an arrow into the air.  The eagle saw it fall, the deer heard it fall, the bear smelled it fall.

That’s pretty nuts.  I’ve never really heard of bear kills around VT.  Maybe because they have so many other food sources they don’t feel the need?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

beers have killed multiple chickens at a neighbors house in the last few years. they definitely are carnivores

Black bears are classic omnivores.  As PF noted, they eat almost anything.  That's true of most North American bears, with the obvious exception of the polar bear.  Even the salmon-gorging monsters of the Alaskan coast spend much of the summer chowing down on fruit and veggies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Enjoying a 7&7 watching the boats go by at Perkins Cove.  Spectacular day today. Might have gotten a bit too much sun on my balding head 

6AE25DA0-BEA4-4BDE-B4D6-D0A989CBDC53.jpeg

Congrats on completing another school year. As someone with family members and friends as teachers, you deserve that 7&7 for sure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, powderfreak said:

A few years back at my dads place in the Adirondacks he came downstairs to find a bear cub in the kitchen.  The cub and my dad were scared of each other and doing circles around the table until the bear found it's way out the door he came in...and to his mother who was steps away from coming in the house as well.   Simple lever that the bear just leaned on and pulled the door open.

A bear also opened the car door and found the snacks that my mom left in the seat. Surprisingly the car interior was not ripped to shreds. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Congrats on completing another school year. As someone with family members and friends as teachers, you deserve that 7&7 for sure!

I would have thought that 2020-2021 was going to be the toughest year since we were switching models every few weeks. I had something like 7 or 8 different configurations.  
2021-2022 takes the cake though. Toughest in 22 years. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Enjoying a 7&7 watching the boats go by at Perkins Cove.  Spectacular day today. Might have gotten a bit too much sun on my balding head 

6AE25DA0-BEA4-4BDE-B4D6-D0A989CBDC53.jpeg

Funny you say that, when I spent the day at Perkins and went out on one of the sailboats I forgot my hat and my head got sunburned and peeled a few days later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I would have thought that 2020-2021 was going to be the toughest year since we were switching models every few weeks. I had something like 7 or 8 different configurations.  
2021-2022 takes the cake though. Toughest in 22 years. 

Balding? You have a full head of hair . Not receding like Scooter 

• Haha 2

Some more bear action in SE MA lately. They shut down 495 in Raynham yesterday because a bear was stuck in the median. Looked like it may have been hit as the poor thing couldn’t move its hind legs. Supposedly being cared for now. Another sighting last week in Brockton. I suppose it could be the same one. 

Here in the NW section of the Lakes Region of NH it seems the bear population is definitely increasing.  I bought this house in 89.  Back then I rarely saw a bear.  It was news if someone saw one.  Now they are everywhere.  Why has the bear population in New England increasing?   On the other hand I use to see Moose fairly regularly.  I have not seen one in 2 years.  From time to time someone posts a picture of one on our face book group.  I guess it is the ticks and climate change?  Ticks are not killed off as much in the winter?

57 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Here in the NW section of the Lakes Region of NH it seems the bear population is definitely increasing.  I bought this house in 89.  Back then I rarely saw a bear.  It was news if someone saw one.  Now they are everywhere.  Why has the bear population in New England increasing?   On the other hand I use to see Moose fairly regularly.  I have not seen one in 2 years.  From time to time someone posts a picture of one on our face book group.  I guess it is the ticks and climate change?  Ticks are not killed off as much in the winter?

The moose decline is certainly related to the increase in ticks.  Bears are a success story of protecting habitat combined with less hunting.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

When I lived in NNJ (moved to Maine in 1973), bears were a myth except in Stokes State Forest in the NW corner of the state.  A friend of my dad saw one crossing the road about a mile from our place, and almost no one believed him.  Now I see FB pics of big bears along the route I took walking to my lifeguard job on the local beach (and for 10+ years before that, starting at age 6 when I gained deep water solo privileges.)

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Some more bear action in SE MA lately. They shut down 495 in Raynham yesterday because a bear was stuck in the median. Looked like it may have been hit as the poor thing couldn’t move its hind legs. Supposedly being cared for now. Another sighting last week in Brockton. I suppose it could be the same one. 

...This happens as white privilege continues to gentrify their native habitat

• Like 2