• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022-23

Ji

You guys are often (rightly) skeptical of the stuff I post with ACE, so I wanted to give an example of how it is supposed to work when you have a close match for timing and intensity tendencies:

ACE: June / Jul / Aug / Sept / Oct / Nov

1988: 0 / 0 / 2 / 72 / 24 / 5

2022: 1 / 2 / 0 / 76 / 5 /  ?

Unlikely to hold as a match into November, but I do think a lot of similar looks to 1988 will show with different timing occasionally. I had it as a C tier analog for the winter. The main reason it should break is the MJO died in Nov 1988, but it will likely remain active this November. But for now, both late Oct 1988 and late Oct 2022 have the MJO fairly active in 6/7.

October 1988

Screenshot-2022-10-26-7-04-54-PMScreenshot-2022-10-26-7-05-09-PM

October 2022 (so far)

Screenshot-2022-10-26-7-06-46-PM

Screenshot-2022-10-26-7-07-00-PM

It looks like there are some wheels in motion to lead to a pattern change later on in November... mainly the development of an +EAMT, a flip to +AAM, and hints of Scandinavian ridging.

First off, the +EAMT:

eamt.thumb.gif.3fc443581336f18a97a7205ce6d0e044.gif

There is pretty good model agreement on anomalously strong HP moving over Mongolia and the rest of east Asia, which helps lead to a +EAMT. +EAMT events often lead to an extension of the Pacific jet and subsequent poleward ridging around Alaska. This is bolstered by the shift to +AAM in the tropics, which often builds poleward and encourages blocking a few weeks down the line...

aam.thumb.png.67c234dcc34df3d4ec7d053cf67764cc.png

Scandinavian ridging is also beginning to show up on both the GEFS and EPS in the extended range. This can both help to disrupt the SPV, which is a possibility, but this shouldn't impact the pattern too much unless it couples with the troposphere. Also, notice the beginnings of an Aleutian low beginning to form - this is a result of the Pacific jet extension after the +EAMT begins to form.

scandi.thumb.gif.2868fac56cd48b08d4e4ed5645fd7a95.gif

However, what's more important is that ridging in this area tends to retrograde towards Greenland like so:

retrograde.PNG.4286756ddbdf638e20aecf1bf69f9016.PNG https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/clim/33/7/jcli-d-19-0447.1.xml

So, although the pattern to open the month will be very warm and quiet (enjoy the great weather!), I expect a flip to colder and more active weather around Thanksgiving once all of these pattern drivers really take shape, mainly with the Pacific jet extension around two weeks from now. The Scandinavian ridging often takes longer to retrograde. We want to see these signals move forward in time.

The analogs that some have proposed for this winter also featured blocking early on (2000-01, 2020-21, 2010-11), so it's nice to see some pattern drivers support it! We shall see.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 14

16 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Our coldest weather typically occurs with an -EPO. Which I’m sure you know and are just trolling. 

My point was that as soon as some people see a -EPO they automatically assume a huge full latitude trough and arctic cold dump into the east. That graphic showed that’s not always the case

• Weenie 3

On 6/15/2022 at 9:32 PM, raindancewx said:

It's very early, but compared to last year I'd wager -

- I do think where I am is favored for a cool winter believe it or not. It's unlikely we'll match the coldness of the 2021-22 La Nina. Any warm up in the tropical Pacific y/y favors cold in the Southwest. It won't be wet though. There is a window in the years with matching temperature and precipitation data nationally that consistently shows a wet period in the West in Oct-Dec though.

Your move, "Dec 2000 / Dec 2010" crew.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:02 AM, snowman19 said:

My point was that as soon as some people see a -EPO they automatically assume a huge full latitude trough and arctic cold dump into the east. That graphic showed that’s not always the case

There are some people that think the Earth is flat.  We don't need posts pandering to them either.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

First 10 days of the month are a total torch, but ensembles are in agreement for now that it flips to a BN pattern after mid-month. 

EF7C14A0-30DB-4B92-81EE-E0AE4B750EAF.png

61DD0ABB-CEB2-4158-9BA0-00DB20F15F78.png

If we go cold to end the month, then we likely have through the New Year to maximize our potential. If we figure that patterns shift every 45 days or so, then we could realistically expect to go mild for most of January and into February, with a shot at something near the end of the winter. It would suck to lose prime climo, but there's no use worrying about it.

If...IF...we can somehow cash in early in the season then getting anything of note the rest of the winter would be relative gravy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IronTy said:

Yup, time for SoMD to feast again while listening to the desperate wails of DC folk between lectures about "climo".   

Yeah I mean SoMD have been makin' out like fat rats the last 7 years!

And man I'm exhausted from having 5 ninas in 7 years...the results have been like groundhog day, lol

• Haha 1

Meanwhile, out at the other homestead, a lovely vista and an overnight low of 12 degrees. (and it looks like a pretty big storm might be coming next week)

Next best thing to being there is full-screening the video and pretending I'm looking out the window. :) 

I've finally figured out how to make DC winters bearable!

snow.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah I mean SoMD have been makin' out like fat rats the last 7 years!

And man I'm exhausted from having 5 ninas in 7 years...the results have been like groundhog day, lol

I wouldn't say so.  We sort of got shafted in the 2016 blizzard, but we did get one decent snowfall in 2018...then basically nothing til last winter.  

9 minutes ago, jacindc said:

Meanwhile, out at the other homestead, a lovely vista and an overnight low of 12 degrees. (and it looks like a pretty big storm might be coming next week)

Next best thing to being there is full-screening the video and pretending I'm looking out the window. :) 

I've finally figured out how to make DC winters bearable!

snow.jpg

Congrats, Wyoming?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1