Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022-23

Ji

15 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

To be honest, I'm kind of at peace with this stretch because I was lucky enough to experience one of the most unbelievable winters in terms of snow of all time around here in 09/10. Also, three consecutive very solid winters from 13/14 to 15/16. Felt due for an extended stretch of sub-par. What comes around goes around. 

Great for you, now think about someone like me who’s too young for to have any real significant snow memories before 2016 and got sick during the 2016 blizzard. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Great for you, now think about someone like me who’s too young for to have any real significant snow memories before 2016 and got sick during the 2016 blizzard. 

Dude, unless I got ebola or something no sickness is gonna keep me from hiking around in a true blizzard.  

Also, I'll trade you your young joints and tendons for my 2016 blizzard experience lol.   

You'll get your chance, just gotta bide your time.  Too bad you missed 09-10.  

• Like 2

Dude, unless I got ebola or something no sickness is gonna keep me from hiking around in a true blizzard.  

Also, I'll trade you your young joints and tendons for my 2016 blizzard experience lol.   

You'll get your chance, just gotta bide your time.  Too bad you missed 09-10.  

100%. I had a legit case of the flu during the 16 blizzard and still when out every few hours just to feel the fury. Biggest snow I have ever witnessed but felt like arse.
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 7:38 PM, poolz1 said:

100%. I had a legit case of the flu during the 16 blizzard and still when out every few hours just to feel the fury. Biggest snow I have ever witnessed but felt like arse.

2016 was an awesome experience. Had to go into work that morning and I will say I'd never driven with that much snow on the roads. Hard to tell where the sides of the road were

I work for a grocery retail chain and of course they wanted us to go in to check on the store. Was just myself and a couple of office assistants who made it in. They lived behind the store. My drive was from Smithsburg to Hagerstown.

We were open for about 3 hours and did 60$ in sales lol. Had a conf. Call at 10am with our regional Director.  He said to close up and get home safely. 

So weird driving with no one else on the road. I did not see a another vehicle on the roads  that day on the drive home. Snow plow drivers had given up and were hanging out at the Ac&t.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, poolz1 said:

Lol I had C. Diff once and 48hrs after I left the ER I was climbing Mt. Shuksan.  

2016 was sort of a let down in SoMD.  We got about a foot of snow, which is great of course, but that was less than half of what we got in December 2009.  That's the benchmark storm for SoMD.  DC made out a lot better in '16.   We actually got quite a bit more snow last winter for the storm in early January than we did in 2016.  Difference of course being there was zero wind during the snow last year vs 2016.  Ah well, were overdue for a serious noreaster, hopefully this year it happens.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

If anyone puts stock in this index, pray for a miracle the next 8 days, nothing has changed since 10/19: 

My observation of Siberian snow cover over the past ten years is that it really doesn't mean shit down here.   Looking at that graph (hard to read as it is), snow cover isn't far behind where it was in October 2009.  We all know how that turned out.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IronTy said:

My observation of Siberian snow cover over the past ten years is that it really doesn't mean shit down here.   Looking at that graph (hard to read as it is), snow cover isn't far behind where it was in October 2009.  We all know how that turned out.  

It's going to be pretty favorable this last week of October. 

Interesting seeing the MJO freeze around 6/7 on the RMM method.

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-46-56-PM

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-48-18-PM

It's right in the zone where the ~31C water goes to ~28C, like 87F to 80F roughly.

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-49-53-PM

My assumption for winter is that the spot will continue to see slow MJO progression through winter.

For reference 6/7 is generally favorable for Western US cold if the thunderstorms enhance/get stuck there a lot. October for both US temps/precip has behaved like a pretty canonical MJO phase five month.

6/7 aren't that cold in the West in December - but I do think we'll likely get to 8-1 or start in 5 which are colder. The timing is generally MJO +45 days = same MJO as now. So early December (6/7) warm, then maybe 8/1 later - that would tie in well with my low-ACE idea where mid-Dec to mid-Jan is colder in the SW US in lower ACE years.

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-53-36-PM6/7 January is pretty cold Utah/Nevada with cold shifting SW to NW

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-53-44-PM6/7 February is pretty cold West

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-53-54-PM

2 hours ago, raindancewx said:

Interesting seeing the MJO freeze around 6/7 on the RMM method.

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-46-56-PM

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-48-18-PM

It's right in the zone where the ~31C water goes to ~28C, like 87F to 80F roughly.

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-49-53-PM

My assumption for winter is that the spot will continue to see slow MJO progression through winter.

For reference 6/7 is generally favorable for Western US cold if the thunderstorms enhance/get stuck there a lot. October for both US temps/precip has behaved like a pretty canonical MJO phase five month.

6/7 aren't that cold in the West in December - but I do think we'll likely get to 8-1 or start in 5 which are colder. The timing is generally MJO +45 days = same MJO as now. So early December (6/7) warm, then maybe 8/1 later - that would tie in well with my low-ACE idea where mid-Dec to mid-Jan is colder in the SW US in lower ACE years.

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-53-36-PM6/7 January is pretty cold Utah/Nevada with cold shifting SW to NW

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-53-44-PM6/7 February is pretty cold West

Screenshot-2022-10-24-6-53-54-PM

If I'm not mistaken, someone on the boards took the time to break it down with phases and the differences when formidable blocking was present awhile back. Of course, amplitude had an effect too. 

As one would expect, blocking did alter the canonical MJO Phase. 

3 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

If I'm not mistaken, someone on the boards took the time to break it down with phases and the differences when formidable blocking was present awhile back. Of course, amplitude had an effect too. 

As one would expect, blocking did alter the canonical MJO Phase. 

Of all the indexes I find the MJO the most exhausting to try and follow *waits for a joke* I mean I have a fainr understanding of it...but if it's during the winter and we spend more than a post or two discussing it...It usually means we ain't in a good spot, lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Of all the indexes I find the MJO the most exhausting to try and follow *waits for a joke* I mean I have a fainr understanding of it...but if it's during the winter and we spend more than a post or two discussing it...It usually means we ain't in a good spot, lol

At high amp it can be a very dominant driver.