Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022-23

Ji

6 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My reading comp isn't perfect by any means, but the post seems to be implying reason for pause with respect to wholesale changes, as guidance has been exhibiting a -PNA bias and the NAO looks to dip decidedly negative.

Yes, you are correct, the models have been wanting to tank the PNA to no avail the last 2 months, however, this time, it actually has support in the global circulation to do so. 

• Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

If I may, what usually happens when you have those two together? Blocking but not enough cold, or?

With a -PNA, storms will typically cut west of us.  The -NAO can force storms to redevelop on the coast after cutting west, which can create a Miller B bonanza for SNE while we smoke cirrus.  A -PNA/-NAO combo can be very lucrative for NYC and points north.  Much harder to get it to work for us. 

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

With a -PNA, storms will typically cut west of us.  The -NAO can force storms to redevelop on the coast after cutting west, which can create a Miller B bonanza for SNE while we smoke cirrus.  A -PNA/-NAO combo can be very lucrative for NYC and points north.  Much harder to get it to work for us. 

It can work well for parts of the region. Many times here those storms will lay down a few inches of snow, glaze it with sleet and freezing rain, then dry slot us while it jumps. 

I’ll take anything over dry during the winter.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

That’s rarely true down here.

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

True. Though I think 2010-2011 was decent down there, no?

4 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Good. Let’s have a solid 6 week period of -PNA to charge up the cold air source region and then get a pattern flip again in mid December.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Give me the fattest mother of all f*cking torches from November 1-December 15 and then have the pattern flip. If that means six weeks of that flipped pattern with it again going warm to end the winter, then that's 100% fine with me.

The funny thing about that Twatter re-post is that the PNA is rebounding back towards positive territory by the end of October. I honestly hope it remains negative for weeks...

• Like 1

@40/70 BenchmarkDid you look at 2016-2017? Yes, I know it was coming off the super El Nino, this Niña is much stronger and the current -PDO, high solar flux/geomag, Atlantic ACE and volcanic stratosphere don’t match up, however, it was strong -IOD, +QBO and unfavorable Atlantic SSTs for -NAO and you also have this: 

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, snowman19 said:

@40/70 BenchmarkDid you look at 2016-2017? Yes, I know it was coming off the super El Nino, this Niña is much stronger and the current -PDO, high solar flux/geomag, Atlantic ACE and volcanic stratosphere don’t match up, however, it was strong -IOD, +QBO and unfavorable Atlantic SSTs for -NAO and you also have this: 

I have that as an analog...it was also a very dry summer on the NE.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:04 PM, WxUSAF said:

Even northeast Md gets a little to a lot 

6 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have that as an analog...it was also a very dry summer on the NE.

That was the winter with the crazy 24+ hour sleet storm. They actually had to plow it in my area. Never seen sleet accumulate like that in my life, had to be 4-5 inches worth all together

33 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have it as one of my more heavily weighted temp analogs.

The +NAO/+AO actually helped that winter or a few of the storms that hit would have been OTS and south. The models kept severely underestimating the SE ridge/WAR and were showing misses then in the last day or two the NAM was the 1st to pickup on the jog back west and north from the SE ridge/WAR push 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The +NAO/+AO actually helped that winter or a few of the storms that hit would have been OTS and south. The models kept severely underestimating the SE ridge/WAR and were showing misses then in the last day or two the NAM was the 1st to pickup on the jog back west and north from the SE ridge/WAR push 

I had about normal snow that season, though it was rather mild. It was a weaker la nina and more of a modoki.