• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022-23

Ji

@40/70 BenchmarkThis is what we spoke of a couple of weeks ago….what you don’t want to see come winter. Very persistent Eastern Indian Ocean/Maritime Continent forcing. IMO keep a very close eye on this going into November and see what happens….if this is where the main forcing is going to be this winter, we have a problem: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Heisy said:

This was the first event I experienced after joining the wx community. About a week or two prior there was a massive cold front and blocking formed. Dec 30 2000 was originally a Miller A HECS on the models in the medium to long range, then it morphed into the Miller B it became. I remember texting Ji at around 3am the day of the event and him saying he couldn’t see a cloud in the sky which definitely didn’t bode well lmao. 

Yeah. Thats reason I remembered and mentioned it above. It was a classic screwjob for us. And is one of the main MillerB's I use every winter to remind myself that Miller B's suck here. :)

• Haha 1

On 9/29/2022 at 6:58 PM, raindancewx said:

As promised.

Not a bad call on my end from June - I'm sure everyone else expected near record early October rains in the Southwest in a La Nina right? Especially with a lot more coming still?

ImageScreenshot-2022-10-07-6-43-36-PM

I've been very busy lately, but I did upload my winter forecast today if anyone is curious.

https://t.co/2IM4n7Vt5J

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

Long term forecast is such horseshit.  In one tweet winter is gonna be a bust but in the next tweet it's gonna be epic for the eastern US.  Friggen A, I could do that job.  

Thing is for our area if you go slightly below average with your forecast you are golden 80% of the time. Our numbers are so skewed by big noreasters in the winters that we get them that going with an 80% fail rate is good science. And I am being serious. Forecasting here is an absolute crap shoot. But 80% of the time you will be right. Because we wont get a monster coastal. I will say when we get stalled Mid Atlantic storms it is game on though. We get buried as well or better than anyone else when the conditions are right. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

Not a bad call on my end from June - I'm sure everyone else expected near record early October rains in the Southwest in a La Nina right? Especially with a lot more coming still?

ImageScreenshot-2022-10-07-6-43-36-PM

I've been very busy lately, but I did upload my winter forecast today if anyone is curious.

https://t.co/2IM4n7Vt5J

Let me guess I don’t even have to read it you’re predicting a less snowy year for the northeast and less cold

Yup. Although some areas that don't get much snow should fluke their way to well above totals this year. Going to be a lot of moisture around this winter. Just need one get setup in those spots, and it's easier with elevation.

I mean, some of you must have noticed by now that October looks a bit like 2011 nationally right? I'm not a big fan of that year because it has very different precipitation tendencies to this year - but it has been decent to a strong match almost every month for like 6-8 months now.

October 1995/2004 as a blend is also a near opposite to how Oct 2022 looked on the CFS/Canadian, but we'll see soon enough if any of my thoughts are right.

45 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The signs for a possible pattern change by November are finally starting to show up. For the 1st time in months, the models are starting to breakdown the extremely persistent +PNA ridge that has been in place since August 

I'm curious...are you a snow miser or a heat miser?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The signs for a possible pattern change by November are finally starting to show up. For the 1st time in months, the models are starting to breakdown the extremely persistent +PNA ridge that has been in place since August 

What do you mean the first time in months it was just negative back in September Unless I’m reading the chart wrong

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Signs a month from now lol

• Weenie 1

Gonna see two things in the Mid Atlantic this winter: Lots of deep troughs, and an increasingly active southern jet stream.

Stock up NOW on whatever enables you to stay up for days on end analyzing model runs. You're gonna need it. Mid Atlantic is going to get buried in snow alive. You'll be crawlin' out of your second story windows, the snowpack will get so deep. DT is gonna be WOOF'n a LOT, and Bob Chill is gonna need a much bigger FACE.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Weenie 3

16 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Reading comprehension isn’t your strong point. By November. If you actually took the time to look at the chart, the change begins towards the end of this month, we are already nearly at mid-October 

My reading comp isn't perfect by any means, but the post seems to be implying reason for pause with respect to wholesale changes, as guidance has been exhibiting a -PNA bias and the NAO looks to dip decidedly negative.