Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022-23

Ji

12 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

You’re really trying to drive @Maestrobjwacrazy aren’t ya!  

Lol I'll admit his post made me a bit sad. It would be awful, awful snow luck and a slap in the face after what we've dealt with lately. But listen...if we get to this time next year and it looks like that's happening, I may just quit tracking altogether. Now perhaps in 2024-25 we can try our hand with niño leftovers a la 78-79...if another la nina doesn't form al la 2011...oof. Glad he brought this up...expectations lowered!

15 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Lol I'll admit his post made me a bit sad. It would be awful, awful snow luck and a slap in the face after what we've dealt with lately. But listen...if we get to this time next year and it looks like that's happening, I may just quit tracking altogether. Now perhaps in 2024-25 we can try our hand with niño leftovers a la 78-79...if another la nina doesn't form al la 2011...oof. Glad he brought this up...expectations lowered!

I would recommend just being happy with what we get. A little bit of snow can make everything look nice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I would recommend just being happy with what we get. A little bit of snow can make everything look nice. 

Little bit of snow can indeed make nice scenery...and I'm learning to appreciate said scenery snow a bit more. But man...I just feel like the occasional bigger snow we used to get is just being taken away, man. Like just once to have stuff to actually shovel...my 20s and younger had those moments interspersed between the mediocre snows. But it's just all light now, and I miss the warning snows so much, man...snows you could feel to your ankles or higher, steps blanketed, piles on the grass, right now all I got is memories, lol Don't tell me nobody else feels the same?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Are you both referring to the volcanic eruption? If so...I mean I think I heard that a 1992 nino was ruined by Pinatubo...and if that happens again, that would be horrible snow luck...my goodness.

Was the strength of this year's eruption that powerful, though? 

Pinatubo and Hunga Tonga are very different eruptions with different mechanisms that will impact climate. But they both may produce strengthened NH winter strat PVs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Are you both referring to the volcanic eruption? If so...I mean I think I heard that a 1992 nino was ruined by Pinatubo...and if that happens again, that would be horrible snow luck...my goodness.

Was the strength of this year's eruption that powerful, though? 

91-92 was a strong east-based el nino....maybe the volcano enhanced the impact as far as +NAO/AO, but I don't think that season needed much help to suck.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Just keep in mind over the years I’ve busted high more than low with my seasonal forecasts.  The last time I was taking heat for being a huge deb the whole sub ended up with single digit snow and many places got a total goose egg. I truly honestly hope this time it blows up in my fave and we get buried and you all can make fun of me. 

You know we're just bustin' stones.

The thing is...we know that we suck hard at snow, so we need some level of hopes and dreams to keep us going through the season, though deep down inside we all know that those hopes and dreams are highly likely to morph into nightmares come January. Just let us sleep gently until Freddie Krueger pops in for a visit!

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

You know we're just bustin' stones.

The thing is...we know that we suck hard at snow, so we need some level of hopes and dreams to keep us going through the season, though deep down inside we all know that those hopes and dreams are highly likely to morph into nightmares come January. Just let us sleep gently until Freddie Krueger pops in for a visit!

Either that or ignore it altogether, lol The suckage may feel better if we don't track it for days at a time! Hey, maybe we shouldn't even call them "threats" anymore...but "hopes", lol

27 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Little bit of snow can indeed make nice scenery...and I'm learning to appreciate said scenery snow a bit more. But man...I just feel like the occasional bigger snow we used to get is just being taken away, man. Like just once to have stuff to actually shovel...my 20s and younger had those moments interspersed between the mediocre snows. But it's just all light now, and I miss the warning snows so much, man...snows you could feel to your ankles or higher, steps blanketed, piles on the grass, right now all I got is memories, lol Don't tell me nobody else feels the same?

Well at least you have memories of those times, I wasn’t yet born for 2001, can’t remember 2009 and was sick during 2016. The largest snowstorm I fully remember tracking and seeing was 9 inches of snow last year. So it irritates me a bit with how you complain a bunch about the winters and how you don’t get snow not realizing some have not gotten the privilege to even experience a mecs or hecs. That is why I appreciate the little events, because they are all I know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Well at least you have memories of those times, I wasn’t yet born for 2001, can’t remember 2009 and was sick during 2016. The largest snowstorm I fully remember tracking and seeing was 9 inches of snow last year. So it irritates me a bit with how you complain a bunch about the winters and how you don’t get snow not realizing some have not gotten the privilege to even experience a mecs or hecs. That is why I appreciate the little events, because they are all I know. 

Experienced multiple snow devils in a late evening blizzard in 1982!

Thing is, the stars were out!  The winds whipped up dry powder on the ground, temp was below 15F and visibility was zero.  Fun times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

100% agree. I gotta be honest with you though, the city sucks for snow. You might want to seriously think about moving into Baltimore County and get above 600 ft Elevation. Trust me, it makes all the difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

100% agree. I gotta be honest with you though, the city sucks for snow. You might want to seriously think about moving into Baltimore County and get above 600 ft Elevation. Trust me, it makes all the difference.

Did it ever suck this many years, though? I hear the refrain "the city sucks for snow", but I've been living here the entire time and have never seen it be this bad. I mean we always had a good year every 3-4 years or so! What changed?

And yes if I could...I kinda like the Cockeysville area. Wouldn't want to be that far from the folks in their later years...but yeah I'd go there or maybe a tad north.

41 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Did it ever suck this many years, though? I hear the refrain "the city sucks for snow", but I've been living here the entire time and have never seen it be this bad. I mean we always had a good year every 3-4 years or so! What changed?

And yes if I could...I kinda like the Cockeysville area. Wouldn't want to be that far from the folks in their later years...but yeah I'd go there or maybe a tad north.

Does it matter?  You can keep waiting for a change or you can make the change. 

49 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Does it matter?  You can keep waiting for a change or you can make the change. 

I actually cannot at this point...for various reasons I'd rather not go into here. I'm sure saying "just move" is well intentioned, but...everybody's situation is different.

So...no choice but to hope for a change...or at least an improvement back to some level of what we used to have!

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I actually cannot at this point...for various reasons I'd rather not go into here. I'm sure saying "just move" is well intentioned, but...everybody's situation is different.

So...no choice but to hope for a change...or at least an improvement back to some level of what we used to have!

Chase this winter to the western MD or WV mountains, New England or Rockies. 

I was born in Takoma Park MD in 1966 lived there until 1988 and have lived in northern Virginia since 91...I honestly don't need anyone to tell me how little snow we get in our area I've seen great years good years ok years not good years and full on shitty years. My expectations every year are whatever we get we get with the bar set low and the excitement that every once in awhile we exceed that bar. I'm of the opinion that those who like to play board psychiatrist and continously tell us how miserable our winters only do it to talk themselves off the ledge...maybe I'm wrong but it is my opinion. I definitely believe that we can have a good sense of what the coming winter will be like and I think deep down we all know if it happens the way it's looking then we will bitch about it but if we fluke we will rejoice rinse and repeat. Its how this board has always been and probably always will be. Some will leave many will stay it's just how it is.

Ok rant over...time to get ready to mow the dirt. Have a great day all...even you PSU :)

signed

Jackass

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

I was born in Takoma Park MD in 1966 lived there until 1988 and have lived in northern Virginia since 91...I honestly don't need anyone to tell me how little snow we get in our area I've seen great years good years ok years not good years and full on shitty years. My expectations every year are whatever we get we get with the bar set low and the excitement that every once in awhile we exceed that bar. I'm of the opinion that those who like to play board psychiatrist and continously tell us how miserable our winters only do it to talk themselves off the ledge...maybe I'm wrong but it is my opinion. I definitely believe that we can have a good sense of what the coming winter will be like and I think deep down we all know if it happens the way it's looking then we will bitch about it but if we fluke we will rejoice rinse and repeat. Its how this board has always been and probably always will be. Some will leave many will stay it's just how it is.

Ok rant over...time to get ready to mow the dirt. Have a great day all...even you PSU :)

signed

Jackass

Wow….you’re old. :oldman:

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'm of the opinion that those who like to play board psychiatrist and continously tell us how miserable our winters only do it to talk themselves off the ledge...maybe I'm wrong but it is my opinion.

Something to consider, sir: Ya ever consider that some of this is not looking to be "talked off the ledge" per se, but merely venting? Think about it: Where else can any of us blow off this particular brand of steam and people actually know what the heck we're talking about (or the obtuse emotions involved, lol). There's literally nowhere else!

Now, I get it: you and others may be at a point of acceptance...but, we ain't all there yet. Nor are we all of the "complaining won't change it" mindset either. Mind you those are probably healthier mindsets to some degree...but all the ranting is just a processing of emotion--not hoping somebody says otherwise. I mean we're all lookin' at the same regions, ain't we? Lol But I also get the annoyance with it at times for some...don't wanna hear that all the time. It's a balance...

Now personally, believe it or not I'm closer to your position when it comes to this winter at least: get what we get, very low bar (in my case I'll barely track unless things look legit different...which is hard to believe, lol).

12 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

If I had a cabin in the Catoctins I'd AirBNB it for you during storms.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jlewis1111 said:

Food for thought there has only been 5 August's with not tropical cyclones in the atlantic. They were all followed by el nino or neutral winters. None were La nina. Will see This past August now makes 6

IMG_2311.PNG

That's a pretty good assessment. I wonder if we are running into the potential energy of an El Nino next year. 

• Like 1