Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022-23

Ji

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree that folks a bit overly pessimistic. While I don't see anything in the early going that implies the second incarnate of Snowmageddon is on the horizon, nor do I see anything particularly horrendous, either.

Hey Ray.  How goes it.? Jerry Still a problem in NE???!

We’ve gotten about 5 double hit analogs and 3 are good, one so so, one bad. 

15 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Hey Ray.  How goes it.? Jerry Still a problem in NE???!

We’ve gotten about 5 double hit analogs and 3 are good, one so so, one bad. 

Jerry is da man haha. He and Steve run our forums.

I think I am probably going to fall into the so-so camp for you guys, but its early....

8 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

:lol: I'm just messing with you, but most of your posts do tend to have a theme....never implied that you don't know your stuff, though.

Not sure what the QBO was doing in 50-51 but this match is pretty uncanny, also, not sure if it was a 3rd year La Niña though. And I really don’t like using analogs from that long ago because we are in a completely, totally different climate state now than we were back then and AGW is accelerating. But: 

22 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Not sure what the QBO was doing in 50-51 but this match is pretty uncanny, also, not sure if it was a 3rd year La Niña though. And I really don’t like using analogs from that long ago because we are in a completely, totally different climate state now than we were back then and AGW is accelerating. But: 

The cold pool in the GOA is definitely a difference, even if the rest is a good match.

50-51 was a lackluster year for Baltimore. 6.2 inches for the season. 

2 hours ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

The cold pool in the GOA is definitely a difference, even if the rest is a good match.

50-51 was a lackluster year for Baltimore. 6.2 inches for the season. 

The 50s in general were lackluster for snow in general until ya got to 58'...Not sure why! (I'll take one guess that there were probably more ninas that decade, lol)

16 hours ago, snowman19 said:

You can use analogs from back then...you just need to remain mindful of the fact that the climate has changed.

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

A 50-51 winter modified for 2022-23 = yikes

There have been plenty of low single-digit snows in the area going back over 100 years, so a 10.5" winter in DC from 70 years ago might not be significantly different today. Or it could be, but there's no reason to assume that it would.

14 hours ago, IronTy said:

Bastardi is hinting toward a 1954-55 type winter. You'll be shocked to know it's colder than average.  

Lock it in. 

By November his main analogs will be 1995-1996 and 2010-2011. He uses them everytime there’s a La Niña. I can’t believe people actually pay money to read that utter quack

• Weenie 1

19 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

A 50-51 winter modified for 2022-23 = yikes

The 40’s-50’s winters were great out west, the 60’s-70’s winters were epic for the east coast, then came 1979-1992, which was probably the worst 13 year period in history for snow on the east coast, even up in the NYC metro and New England….

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

The 40’s-50’s winters were great out west, the 60’s-70’s winters were epic for the east coast, then came 1979-1992, which was probably the worst 13 year period in history for snow on the east coast, even up in the NYC metro and New England….

Was 1979-1992 really that bad? Not sure if you’re talking NYC north, but in the mid-atlantic we had PD1, 83 and 87. Grew up with those and had plenty of fun as a kid. Sure, we had lots of duds in between those winters but that’s par for the course around here. 

• Like 1

I don't think it will be the best since 2016. We are probably going into a Moderate-Strong La Nina and January, February have a -PNA signal. We could eek out a big snowstorm or 2, but I think weak-STJ, SE High pressure is the trend, again. 

I posted in the SNE Winter threat that +QBO/La Nina is -NAO, and the signal is like +100-150dm. lol. please get my posts off of review. WXUSAFAA deleted a Winter research post last year, that was a pretty good time pure scientific research, had my number tally and all. 

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

Was 1979-1992 really that bad? Not sure if you’re talking NYC north, but in the mid-atlantic we had PD1, 83 and 87. Grew up with those and had plenty of fun as a kid. Sure, we had lots of duds in between those winters but that’s par for the course around here. 

...plus a fair amount of extreme cold. 

2 hours ago, Terpeast said:

81-82 and 86-87 were good....82-83 was okay snowwise largely bc of the Megalopolis storm.

87-88 wasn't a total trainwreck up here...

1 hour ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

I don't think it will be the best since 2016. We are probably going into a Moderate-Strong La Nina and January, February have a -PNA signal. We could eek out a big snowstorm or 2, but I think weak-STJ, SE High pressure is the trend, again. 

I posted in the SNE Winter threat that +QBO/La Nina is -NAO, and the signal is like +100-150dm. lol. please get my posts off of review. WXUSAFAA deleted a Winter research post last year, that was a pretty good time pure scientific research, had my number tally and all. 

I don't see much evidence of a strong la nina peak.....may make moderate early on before weakening by winter.

Weren't you in favor of el nino not even a month ago?