• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

All data recorded from my backyard nano-climate, ~400' ASL. I'm not sure what to make of the trend lines--I think they'll be more representative at the end of the season, so make of them what you will. I think the most noteworthy thing on this chart is the distribution of this year's precipitation vs 2021. So, it's raining just as much IMBY as last year, but in fewer but larger instances.

9bJVIdB.png

I have recorded 29 days above 90°F in 2022 and 25 in 2021:

jsVGvfj.png

Daily lows for consistency:

P7LfTxF.png

Incidentally, the average dewpoints are only marginally higher for this period for this year (2021 = 62.27 2022 = 62.46) :

LMLbJw8.png

Anyway, thanks for reading and allowing me to nerd out on some weather data.

• Like 1

We warm to slightly above normal today before our only shot at 90 with the coming "urban area heat wave" will be tomorrow when many spots should again touch 90 for one of the few times this summer.
Our record high today is 96 degrees from 1937. The record low is 48 degrees from the summer of the Phillies collapse - 1964. The daily rainfall record is 1.36" set way back in 1898.
image.png.117c944782a91a9fb019b1be7072511a.png

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Hit 90 #2 for August and #22 since May, just after 2 pm.  It's currently sunny and 90 with a dp of 66, so not too too bad.

89F/DP 65F but I have really nice breeze going on so not too bad also. The only bad thing is I had to run errands and once you leave the car (black)/get back in it's a oven but oh well, not horrible. 

Now that it's August it seems reasonable to look for tropical activity, however there is nada, and nothing for the next 5 days. Two years ago tomorrow we had Isaias, which gave us a boatload of rain (6" here). Then 3 days later we had another 6" here in 40 minutes, in a thunderstorm (a 1000 year rainfall rate according to some). Anyway looking at this map is like watching paint dry.

Screenshot_20220803-181820_copy_1440x1598_copy_1440x1257.thumb.png.aba821eb4abce132cf65d8cc58ce3ab7.png

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Now that it's August it seems reasonable to look for tropical activity, however there is nada, and nothing for the next 5 days. Two years ago tomorrow we had Isaias, which gave us a boatload of rain (6" here). Then 3 days later we had another 6" here in 40 minutes, in a thunderstorm (a 1000 year rainfall rate according to some). Anyway looking at this map is like watching paint dry.

Screenshot_20220803-181820_copy_1440x1598_copy_1440x1257.thumb.png.aba821eb4abce132cf65d8cc58ce3ab7.png

For whatever reason I think the tropics will eventually ramp up.

Looks like Friday afternoon/evening is our next best radar watching opportunity. Maybe Saturday as well...

80F/DP 66F 

10 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

When CoolHandMike was talking about his year's data, I started scanning mine and saw the difference in precipitation between last year and this year around the same time.  I know this year it seems that rain was front-loaded in spring before drying up.

Agree with Birds though, it'll ramp up eventually.  Right now most of the cyclones have been going in the Pacific.

I ended up hitting 91 as a high yesterday a few minutes after the previously-reported 90 and so far have 71 as a low this morning and it's currently 71 with dp 69.

50 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

When CoolHandMike was talking about his year's data, I started scanning mine and saw the difference in precipitation between last year and this year around the same time.  I know this year it seems that rain was front-loaded in spring before drying up.

Agree with Birds though, it'll ramp up eventually.  Right now most of the cyclones have been going in the Pacific.

I ended up hitting 91 as a high yesterday a few minutes after the previously-reported 90 and so far have 71 as a low this morning and it's currently 71 with dp 69.

Peak hurricane season is usually from Aug through Oct but can easily go into Nov...we're just starting.

Today may turn out to be the hottest day of summer w/combined temps/DPs.

71F/DP 67F

12 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Peak hurricane season is usually from Aug through Oct but can easily go into Nov...we're just starting.

Today may turn out to be the hottest day of summer w/combined temps/DPs.

71F/DP 67F

I think September is usually the peak month - ocean temps for the Atlantic are pretty much at max and that helps to fuel the cyclogenesis.  It's pretty toasty right now as it is!

I think climatically, the tropical systems have become one of the major sources of rain in the midatlantic states after often-dry summers and can usually save the area from being in extended droughts like other parts of the country.

Still sitting at 71 but the dp has ticked up to 70.

ssts-midatlantic-220804.216.0210.n18-08042022.jpg

On 8/2/2022 at 8:39 PM, RedSky said:

Even the long period unusual blocking causing the northeast jet dip with continuous Canadian high pressure into July couldn't stop another hot summer.

Through today we are actually very close to about average summer time (June-August) across almost all sites in Chester County....no doubt at PHL it will end up being a blazing summer. I suspect that warming trend with UHI at the airport will not be changing for any summer soon!

Today will likely be the only likely day for at least the next week that the county will have a chance at a 90 day. Down in Philadelphia they are at day #3 today with a likely 90+ streak that will reach 8 days just from this current heat wave. If suburban airports at Coatesville and Pottstown hit 90 today....they would have only seen 8 days at 90 or above.... all summer!
Our record high today is 98 degrees from 1944. The record low is 47 degrees in 1951. The record daily rainfall record occurred just 2 years ago when we received a 5.83" deluge in 2020.
image.png.d2f6df473eec60e29629ef7d9e60b238.png

Already tapped 91 just before 11 am this morning and it's currently 91 with a sticky dp of 75.  I don't think I'll hit PHL's forecast 97 temp (I usually run a couple degrees cooler although that depends on the position of the Bermuda high), but will see how close I get.

Am at an "official" new heatwave with day #3 of 90+ for the month (#23 since May).

21 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Already tapped 91 just before 11 am this morning and it's currently 91 with a sticky dp of 75.  I don't think I'll hit PHL's forecast 97 temp (I usually run a couple degrees cooler although that depends on the position of the Bermuda high), but will see how close I get.

Am at an "official" new heatwave with day #3 of 90+ for the month (#23 since May).

Think the record for today is 98F for Philly? I'll say Philly reaches 95-96ish.

88F/DP 75F here

Yes, I'm the idiot cutting/trimming the lawn at near peak temps. (human puddle) Not sure I'll be around tomorrow and wanted to get it done before any potential storms later tomorrow/Saturday (hopefully)....