• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

I did finally bottom out at 71 this morning and the morning has generally been overcast until the past half hour or so when the sun made its appearance.

Temp is currently 75 with dp 61.

And I did see that Mt. Holly posted the Philly RER for record high min!

SXUS71 KPHI 261059
RERPHL

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
700 AM EDT TUE JUL 26 2022

...RECORD WARMEST LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA...

A RECORD WARMEST LOW TEMPERATURE WAS SET AT THE PHILADELPHIA 
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT YESTERDAY, AS THE TEMPERATURE ONLY FELL TO 81 
DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE OLD WARMEST LOW TEMPERATURE OF 78 DEGREES 
IN 2001.

$$

I also saw who sucked up all our rain.  AC with a record-smashing event!

SXUS71 KPHI 260605
RERACY

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
0204 AM EDT TUE JUL 26 2022

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT ATLANTIC CITY NJ...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 3.15 WAS SET AT ATLANTIC CITY NJ YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.27 SET IN 1975.

$$

FITZSIMMONS

• Like 1

Unfortunately we could only squeeze out 0.04" of rain yesterday in East Nantmeal. The good news across the County is we have a few more chances of rain this week. With the highest chance being Wednesday night. Of note yesterday's low temperature sets a new low minimum record at 74.3 - this eclipses the old record of 74.0 set back in 2013. The AC has surely been needed these recent nights! Also on the bright side our temperatures will return to near normal for the rest of this week. In fact we should not see any chances of 90 degree weather across much of Chesco over the next week or so.
Our record high temperature today is 99 degrees set back in 1940. The record low for today is 48 degrees from 1977. Record daily rainfall is the 1.64" that fell today in 1994.
image.png.00becd75f2457491157f8c61f2daf349.png
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

I have a big crabbing trip planned for September. We usually go down to southern DE and crab off of a seawall in one of the bays but we haven't been since before the pandemic. It also used to be a day trip since we were relatively close when we lived in Chester County. This year though we decided to rent a camping cabin for a few nights so we could have more time to crab during the day. I can't wait, it's going to be epic.

Cool and cloudy this morning. Loving it.

image.png.1a51a794fe285b542738fb8db134e995.png

Although I dislike the hot weather the late summer brings out crabs. I usually go sometime in August, even early September because the water holds the warm temperatures. And if want stay down there the room rates in September go way down. Camped down there as well.

Pretty good site news/hitting/good spots:

https://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php

72F/ DP 60F

58 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Although I dislike the hot weather the late summer brings out crabs. I usually go sometime in August, even early September because the water holds the warm temperatures. And if want stay down there the room rates in September go way down. Camped down there as well.

Pretty good site news/hitting/good spots:

https://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php

72F/ DP 60F

Yup been subbed there for quite some time. :) I should clarify that we have stayed overnight a couple of times, usually at Ft. Whaley (now called Sun Outdoors Ocean City, I guess they got bought. WTG you corporate branding goons.) It's usually a pretty fun experience, sort of a sleeveless flannel and jorts kinda place if you know what I mean, but we haven't been in quite a while so I have no idea what it's like now. There's a big picnic shelter at Mulberry Landing we like to set up camp in. Helps a ton when it's super hot out down there, but hopefully late September won't be so bad.

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

Yup been subbed there for quite some time. :) I should clarify that we have stayed overnight a couple of times, usually at Ft. Whaley (now called Sun Outdoors Ocean City, I guess they got bought. WTG you corporate branding goons.) It's usually a pretty fun experience, sort of a sleeveless flannel and jorts kinda place if you know what I mean, but we haven't been in quite a while so I have no idea what it's like now. There's a big picnic shelter at Mulberry Landing we like to set up camp in. Helps a ton when it's super hot out down there, but hopefully late September won't be so bad.

Yes.

I agree. But it seems Summer is lasting well into Sept these days. Hope not. Early Sept alright but I'm done by mid month.

Been going to Tuckerton, NJ lately.....Barnegat as well. Turkey backs/handlines (no traps) and I'll be heading down at some point. We'll see what happens? Good luck.

75F/DP 59F

Just now, KamuSnow said:

We put a thermometer in our attic late last week - Saturday it read 130°, lol. So we put an exhaust fan in and had it running by last night. Smelled like attic outside a couple of times today.

Exhaust fans work great and I use them especially at night. Two big fans out front (East) pulling air in from back windows (West). Turn off the A/C at night when I can and really get a breeze with the back windows open. But when it's super hot A/C stays on and PECO is happy.... 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 3:35 PM, Albedoman said:

hit the forecast right on the nose. T storms redeveloping right around Philly. NWS discussion has left out the LV again of why we were screwed again.. What else is new.  They are too worried about PWAT's  in the forecast that do not even come to fruition.  The 70% chance of rain has dwindled to 30% by 1:00 pm for the LV. I really do not see a measurable rain over one inch for the rest of the month. Normal  for July should be around 4 in.  Have had less than .25 in at my house. Drought watches coming soon. Current streamflow on the Little Lehigh is now in severe drought conditions.

https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/index.php?r=pa&m=real&w=map

Drove by the Skook near Reading omw home from errands just now and noticed it's at least a good foot lower than normal. We need some rain.

Made it up to 90.8°F around 12:30pm before the clouds rolled in. At least the humidity's down somewhat, though I suspect that'll be on the increase here soon.

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

Drove by the Skook near Reading omw home from errands just now and noticed it's at least a good foot lower than normal. We need some rain.

Made it up to 90.8°F around 12:30pm before the clouds rolled in. At least the humidity's down somewhat, though I suspect that'll be on the increase here soon.

Tomorrow maybe, better shot Friday. However possible blow torch mid/late next week to dry things up. The lawn is cooked...

now3.jpg

10 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Really dark clouds overhead. Looks like it wants to rain but I'm sure any returns are just virga at the moment. 84.7 here, DP: 68.

Radar had some activity to the west a couple hours ago but it all pretty much dried up...nothing now.

85F/DP 68F

nothing.jpg

5 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Radar had some activity to the west a couple hours ago but it all pretty much dried up...nothing now.

85F/DP 68F

nothing.jpg

I'm hopeful for something tonight - Mt. Holly forecast discussion mentioned possibilities, and the nams and hrrr showed it as well. And lookie there, some stuff popping up. Fingers crossed!

Screenshot_20220727-214726_copy_1305x917_copy_438x307.png.930a8cf3277b0556e7435ef97c3fa9ae.png

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I'm hopeful for something tonight - Mt. Holly forecast discussion mentioned possibilities, and the nams and hrrr showed it as well. And lookie there, some stuff popping up. Fingers crossed!

Screenshot_20220727-214726_copy_1305x917_copy_438x307.png.930a8cf3277b0556e7435ef97c3fa9ae.png

million dollar rain if its more than an inch.  Yes its hopeful. The best chance in the last  two weeks if it holds together

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

We need some sort of rain tomorrow and/or Friday because after that zilch for a bit w/hot temps. Actually a little surprised we're not in a drought watch.

81F/DP creeping up 69F

dr.jpg

its coming. I expect a watch will be issued by mid - August unless we get a tropical storm. These hit and miss showers are good enough for farmers but not good enough to recharge the aquifers. The stream base flows are really starting to drop now as well. They were really high  this past spring. The topsoil horizon is like powder in the shale soils and the clay soils elsewhere are starting to crack. The lawns are brown because they are primarily  perennial ryegrass  cool season grasses that are not heat tolerant as well as drought tolerant. The heat is browning the lawns even if they are watered sufficiently.  The water tables are also falling rapidly in Lehigh county karst areas  as the water is literally being sucked out from the water bottlers. 

• Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

its coming. I expect a watch will be issued by mid - August unless we get a tropical storm. These hit and miss showers are good enough for farmers but not good enough to recharge the aquifers. The stream base flows are really starting to drop now as well. They were really high  this past spring. The topsoil horizon is like powder in the shale soils and the clay soils elsewhere are starting to crack. The lawns are brown because they are primarily  perennial ryegrass  cool season grasses that are not heat tolerant as well as drought tolerant. The heat is browning the lawns even if they are watered sufficiently.  The water tables are also falling rapidly in Lehigh county karst areas  as the water is literally being sucked out from the water bottlers. 

Water restrictions are already posted for areas around Trenton.  This is a very dusty pattern and the hope of a tropical storm of any sort is very LOW zero support in this pattern for that unfortunately.