Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Gave it a shot about 10 minutes after sunset - no crickets, no cicadas, no katydids.  Just bizarre! :huh:

It's currently 85 with dp that has now crept up to 70.

No crickets? No cicadas? No katydids?? Maybe you should have your hearing checked :oldman: :P

I’M KIDDING!!

Seriously, 11:30 pm and it’s still 82F. wtf??

5 hours ago, stemwinder said:

Maybe being that this was a Brood X year has something to do with it? At any rate, I miss their noise on these hot days.

Edit:  Oops - my bad - Brood X was last year!  My memory is slipping.  At any rate, next week won't be as hot.  Let's see if the cicadas recover.

I didn't even see any Brood X here last year either - and the last time I believe that brood was out was around a year after one of my sisters had moved into her Montco house.  She had a couple stragglers crawling up her shed near the creek at the bottom of her backyard, and that was the first time I had ever seen a "red-eyed" cicada.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JTA66 said:

No crickets? No cicadas? No katydids?? Maybe you should have your hearing checked :oldman: :P

I’M KIDDING!!

Seriously, 11:30 pm and it’s still 82F. wtf??

LOL couldn't miss the loud song sparrows that were singing before the robins in the mornings.  :lol:

I did see a lanternfly nymph (an "older" stage, red specked one like below) -

43927533254_65d28cbe87_k.jpg

But so far haven't seen any adults (thankfully because they were a nightmare in 2019 and 2020, with a huge drop-off of them last year).

As RedSky hinted, it could be they were drying up while emerging.  I have only had 0.5" of rain in my neighborhood in July.

Today should be the warmest day of the current heat spell. Temps across the entire county should get close to the middle 90's in the higher terrain to even upper 90's in some of the lower spots. This could approach some records. Rain chances will also increase by tomorrow night with what would be some welcome rainfall! After that the rest of the week looks to be much closer to normal temps with highs no higher than the low to mid-80's.
The record high today is 95 degrees (which could be in danger) set back in 1918. The record low was 48 degrees back in 1985. Daily record rainfall was 1.23" in 1911. image.png.03822610a16d7e14efdb580c706814ce.png

Briefly tapped 98 IMBY just before 2:30 pm but that might be it for me.  Oddly (or thankfully), the dp stayed reasonable today although it has started creeping up now. 

It's currently a hazy 96 with dp 70.

ETA for my 90s and above count - today was #12 for July and #18 since May (revised up one to included a missed June one). 

This time last year, I had 19, 90+s by this time since May 2021. However July 2021 had a total of 10 days at 90+ for the month and June had 9 for the month (May had 2), where this year June had far fewer with 3.

Some RERs up for today (so far).  PHL & RDG broke, and ABE & TTN tied their highs - 

SXUS71 KPHI 242127
RERABE

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
0524 PM EDT SUN JUL 24 2022

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE TIED AT ALLENTOWN PA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 95 WAS TIED AT ALLENTOWN PA TODAY.
THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 95 SET IN 1999. THIS PRODUCT WILL BE 
UPDATED SHOULD THE TEMPERATURE CLIMB ANY HIGHER.

$$

JOHNSON

SXUS71 KPHI 242128
RERPHL

RECORD EVENT REPORT

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 99 WAS SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA 
TODAY...SUNDAY JULY 24. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 98 SET IN 
2011. THIS PRODUCT WILL BE UPDATED SHOULD THE TEMPERATURE CLIMB ANY 
HIGHER.

$$

JOHNSON

SXUS71 KPHI 242126
RERRDG

RECORD EVENT REPORT

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT READING PA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 97 WAS SET AT READING PA TODAY...SUNDAY 
JULY 24. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 96 SET IN 1991. THIS PRODUCT 
WILL BE UPDATED SHOULD THE TEMPERATURE CLIMB ANY HIGHER.

$$

JOHNSON

SXUS71 KPHI 242129
RERTTN

RECORD EVENT REPORT

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE TIED AT TRENTON NJ...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 98 WAS TIED AT TRENTON NJ 
TODAY...SUNDAY JULY 24. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 98 SET IN 1910.

$$

JOHNSON

Currently partly sunny and 89 here with dp 73.

Topped out at 97.3 imby. Seems pretty in line with RDG actually, which is about a mile away and at roughly the same elevation. We do have some local topography that I think does influence our microclimate--for example, coming home from work this past week and according to my car thermo, driving along the Skook near my house is ~5°F cooler than at my house, which is maybe 150' higher ASL and on somewhat of a low hill.