• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

Almost all spots in the county made it down to the chilly 40's this morning. Even East Nantmeal we made it down to 49.5....suspect that will be our last 40's till September.
Our record high for today is 98 degrees set back in 1923. The record low is 38 degrees from 1926. The record daily rainfall is 1.36" on this date in 1913.
image.png.9dce32c3c3c46b53c3c762da577f4bef.png

11 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Summer Solstice this Tues 6/21, then we're losing daylength seconds every day. Winter is just about here...

ss.jpg

Haha...and I though I was crazy tracking the minutes but you have it down to the second! :lol:

Initially we'll be losing daylight in the mornings. I think between now and 8/1, we'll only lose about 15 minutes or so in the evening. Still, psychologically, it's nice to know we're headed in the right direction.

72F/DP 47F

43 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Haha...and I though I was crazy tracking the minutes but you have it down to the second! :lol:

Initially we'll be losing daylight in the mornings. I think between now and 8/1, we'll only lose about 15 minutes or so in the evening. Still, psychologically, it's nice to know we're headed in the right direction.

72F/DP 47F

Same.

Around mid August/first Birds preseason game I get a larger "in the right direction" feel. You can see the sun angle start to lower/change a bit. Sun shadows at certain times of day are off/different. Notice earlier sunset/dark earlier moreso. Back to school commercials and Sept/labor day (end of summer) is in clear sight now...

74F/DP 46F Sunny and a decent breeze, perfect.

22 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Early call for high temps this 4th of July 

Jackets and hot spiked cider for fireworks? 

4thjuly.png

Fall will be the new "summer". :o:lol:

The whole damn "met seasons" have shifted 3 months!  Winter in spring, spring in summer, summer in fall, and fall in winter.

I do remember a few somewhat "mild" July 4ths but they are very rare.  The last were July 4, 2014 with a high @78 and July 4, 2015 with a high @77.  Oddly enough, those years were El Nino years.

• Like 1

Just now, Hurricane Agnes said:

Fall will be the new "summer". :o:lol:

The whole damn "met seasons" have shifted 3 months!  Winter in spring, spring in summer, summer in fall, and fall in winter.

I do remember a few somewhat "mild" July 4ths but they are very rare.  The last were July 4, 2014 with a @78 and July 4, 2015 with a high @77.  Oddly enough, those years were El Nino years.

That's exactly how this feels nailed it

4 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The phantom chill has been a local phenomenon only in the Northeast, rest of the country be like what are you talking about 

* and until recently the upper mid west 

Just yesterday I was reading about a newly-discovered polar bear population that was found in an odd location - SE Greenland - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/why-this-newly-identified-polar-bear-subpopulation-is-so-special

and I think some of this anomalous chill may be coming from the glacial melt in Greenland.

Did a quickie data lookup of the past 90 days and it's wild how PA stands out in the anomalous category!

20220619.90day.max_min.F-90days-06202022.gif

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Just yesterday I was reading about a newly-discovered polar bear population that was found in an odd location - SE Greenland - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/why-this-newly-identified-polar-bear-subpopulation-is-so-special

and I think some of this anomalous chill may be coming from the glacial melt in Greenland.

Did a quickie data lookup of the past 90 days and it's wild how PA stands out in the anomalous category!

20220619.90day.max_min.F-90days-06202022.gif

Ok I was way off never would have guessed the states to our northeast are above normal that period, or that the Pacific northwet has been that cold

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

Ok I was way off never would have guessed the states to our northeast are above normal that period, or that the Pacific northwet has been that cold

The people in the PNW whine about being unable to grow tomatoes there in summer because they normally have "cool" summers, punctuated by occasional heatwaves.  Apparently many never bought ACs there because of that, so if they were "extra cold", it wouldn't be that much of a stretch from their norm.  :lol:

Meanwhile I did make it up to 81 today as a high and it's currently partly cloudy and 70 with dp 48 about 12 minutes before sunset.

Posting as a person doing field work for the past couple of and the next couple of weeks, this is a blessing. Last week had a couple of brutal days, but I'll take as much "coolness" as nature will give over the next few days. Looking at 90's over the weekend though, so indoor projects are definitely on tap for then. However, I do need to get in about 600' of drip line outside and that will probably take precedent over indoor projects as we have been up past 10 pm watering all of our new plants/garden several nights recently. Eh. Maybe the weekend forecast will trend cooler as the week progresses. Hopefully.

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Posting as a person doing field work for the past couple of and the next couple of weeks, this is a blessing. Last week had a couple of brutal days, but I'll take as much "coolness" as nature will give over the next few days. Looking at 90's over the weekend though, so indoor projects are definitely on tap for then. However, I do need to get in about 600' of drip line outside and that will probably take precedent over indoor projects as we have been up past 10 pm watering all of our new plants/garden several nights recently. Eh. Maybe the weekend forecast will trend cooler as the week progresses. Hopefully.

Not sure of your exact location working but if it's Reading or the local burbs I'm not seeing 90's or anything super hot for the weekend. Things that looked a bit hot for the upcoming weekend from a couple days ago but not as much now...

Currently overnight..and super nice for this time of year:

2am.jpg

So far this month we are running almost a full degree below normal temperatures. Normal high temps are now in the low 80's. With increasing clouds today and showers tomorrow we will likely not see temps above 80 degrees until both Friday and Saturday.
Record high today is 97 degrees from 1923. Our record low is 39 degrees back in 1926. Record daily rainfall was the 1.83" back in 1978.
image.png.ec7ad515f56bbe2b1d91cecbb7f32434.png

We have fallen just a little below average rainfall for the year to date. Looks like we may pick up enough rain today to put a smile on the many farmers across Chester County!
Our record high for today is 97 degrees set back in 1921. The record low is 42 degrees from 1940. The daily rainfall record is the 3.75" that fell back in 1972 with the remnants of Hurricane Agnes.
image.png.80d77d66d37f72bbcd064a817deb40bd.png

5 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Completely wrong...outside w/coffee, sunny. DP is up a bit.

66F/DP 62F 

Dense overcast here and a breeze with a chill to it. Just another one of these strange hybrid days that have something between summer and fall feel to them .