Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

LOL - Mt. Holly Climatology section went from possible "record highs" for today -

to possible "record lows" for tomorrow!

Looking forward to it. Worked outside all week. Wednesday and today were rough, Thursday was nice (after the storms at least). Was kinda surprised to get a static shock while exiting my vehicle after coming home this evening on account of how dry it had become. Hot and dry is a little bit unusual here, but I'll take it (for a little while at least). Tomorrow should be lovely for getting some yard work done.

• Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Looking forward to it. Worked outside all week. Wednesday and today were rough, Thursday was nice (after the storms at least). Was kinda surprised to get a static shock while exiting my vehicle after coming home this evening on account of how dry it had become. Hot and dry is a little bit unusual here, but I'll take it (for a little while at least). Tomorrow should be lovely for getting some yard work done.

I plan on mowing at 9am w/temps in mid 60s will feel like Fall...NW 10-20mph breeze as well.

74F/DP 55F 

19 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Agnes was just before my 6th birthday, so I have very limited memory of her. My mom is from Manayunk and I remember waking down to the Green Lane bridge to see the Schuylkill.

86F/DP 73F :fulltilt:

As a follow-up - this is what got to me the most back then... This was what was named the "Doodad Bridge", a rope/plank bridge that crossed a part of Swamp Creek back then -

card00608_fr.jpgI

In 1971 when I was first there, there was a wooden platform at the top of wood pylons, with a wooden ladder that would be climbed to access that bridge.  Returning in 1972 after Hurricane Agnes, the entire assembly (pylons and platform) had been dislodged and overturned, leaving the bridge partially submerged in the creek, so it was completely unusable.

When I returned 4 years later, the bridge had been repaired and the wood pylons and platform replaced with a "scout-enhanced" platform base of concrete (I think with a new wood platform for access via a ladder), where apparently after the main concrete footings and base structures were created, the attendees during the time of the completion, were each able to "add" to the base with a trowelful of concrete slapped onto the bottom where they then could add their initials (or whatever could fit) into the wet concrete "additions".

Many years later out of curiosity searching for what it looked like today, I saw where apparently that whole structure was removed and replaced with what they call a "pedestrian bridge" (a "weathered" pre-fab steel structure) in 2008 - https://divingconstruction.com/girl-scout-bridge/

Pedestrian-Bridge.jpg

I did just spot a pic someone uploaded that appears to show it in the '80s before that above replacement was done (in the background at the top of the picture) -

102265557.GtcZqdnp.jpg

It was pretty obvious why they call it "Swamp Creek". :lol:

And as an obs - It was 71 here this morning when I got up and eventually drifted down to 69 as a low before heading back up (although it is bopping back and forth between 69 and 70 with an apparent secondary cold front moving in).  It's currently 71 with dp that is a more pleasant 53, and partly sunny, with lots of cumulus around.

• Like 2

The record lowest maximum temperature for today is 66 degrees today back in 1973. Our maximum temperature so far during the day today is the current 63.9 degrees. However, at 12:01 am the temperature was still at 71.8 degrees so that will go down as the high temperature for the day and we will not be setting a low max record. But it is probably safe to say this will go down as the coldest June 18th during the daytime since record keeping began here in Chester County way back in 1894!

Some mid- to upper 40's for low temps in many of the valley locations across Chester County this AM - only made it to 51.5 in East Nantmeal on the VP  Station.

Today's daily records for Chester County include a record high of 96 degrees set on this date way back in 1905. Record low temp was the 42 degrees in 1956. Record rainfall is the 1.84" that fell today in 1996.

image.png.3796cc50235c601957c00596500877ca.png

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

Locally looks like it only got down to 51F the wind was a factor

Forecast calls for 47F tomorrow morning

53F here last night around 3:30am....not sure how much lower the temps dropped.

Projected low tonight is 49F. Winds a tad less breezy now so may be achieved...

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

53F here last night around 3:30am....not sure how much lower the temps dropped.

Projected low tonight is 49F. Winds a tad less breezy now so may be achieved...

I made it to 52 here last night, so I'd think you most likely made it to at least 51. 64F here currently, today was awesome.