• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Summer 2022

I just got back from backpacking the 28 mile Old Loggers Path this week up north of Williamsport near Canton, PA (Northwest corner of Sullivan County). As I was expecting and prepared for, many many streams were dried up along the trail. Only two reliable streams along the whole loop had any water for drinking. I was on the same trail last summer in July and I made a comparison video of the Pleasant Stream that runs through the trail and must be forded/crossed. I wanted to share with you guys, I thought it was very impressive. It highlights the incredibly dry summer that parts of the Northeast US have seen.

And again just for comparisons sake, last summer the "stream" (which flowed more like a raging river) was waist deep when crossed. This summer, it was only a gentle trickle with plenty of rocks to hop on.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, canderson said:

I don't follow scientific seasons as I believe they're pretty bunk. For instance, I fully expect fall here to not start until the 2nd week of October basically. 

I was pointing out for compare.  But when it comes to the MDT record, the 35 record posted earlier was only during Met summer.  The record for all year appears to be 2016 when there were 43 days so a long way to go to catch that one.     2020 would slot in at number two with 35 while 2021 comes in at number three with 33.    MDT has 26 total this year if I counted right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was pointing out for compare.  But when it comes to the MDT record, the 35 record posted earlier was only during Met summer.  The record for all year appears to be 2016 when there were 43 days so a long way to go to catch that one.     2020 would slot in at number two with 35 while 2021 comes in at number three with 33.    MDT has 26 total this year if I counted right. 

Yea the highs haven’t been overall that bad - it’s the crazy high lows that have made it suck so much. 

51 minutes ago, Newman said:

I just got back from backpacking the 28 mile Old Loggers Path this week up north of Williamsport near Canton, PA (Northwest corner of Sullivan County). As I was expecting and prepared for, many many streams were dried up along the trail. Only two reliable streams along the whole loop had any water for drinking. I was on the same trail last summer in July and I made a comparison video of the Pleasant Stream that runs through the trail and must be forded/crossed. I wanted to share with you guys, I thought it was very impressive. It highlights the incredibly dry summer that parts of the Northeast US have seen.

And again just for comparisons sake, last summer the "stream" (which flowed more like a raging river) was waist deep when crossed. This summer, it was only a gentle trickle with plenty of rocks to hop on.

That is a sad look for that stream and a good visual for what our northern friends are facing.   Also, nice hike at 28 miles!  Impressive. 

1 hour ago, brentrich said:

We had few major whinners in this forum last year and we do not want to repeat again this year. 

You’re not part of this forum. Your opinion carries no weight for this group or all our great members. Pack your bags and move on. Last winter SUCKED here. We all know it and don’t need anyone mouthing off. 

As Logan Roy would say, **** off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My high today was precisely 90.0 degrees with a very comfortable low of 57.4.  57.4 is the normal low (near me) for September 3rd, so only about 2 weeks ahead.  90 degrees, however, is higher than the warmest average high which is 85.8 degrees between July 12th to July 18th.  September 8th is the last day that the normal high is 80.0 or higher.

7 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Estimated radar says areas in and around Mt Joy are basking in about .1 to .2" of rain for the day.   One of our lottery winners is in.   I have a spotter just east of the area who is saying .05.  

Mom lives in Mount Joy and said not a drop there...I will say it was really dark that way when I got home from work.

7 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Mom lives in Mount Joy and said not a drop there...I will say it was really dark that way when I got home from work.

There was a high dbz cell near Mt Joy.  All the rain in the eastern lsv right now.   Looks like MU scored if these are recent Ob's.  64 and sultry here with a DP of 63. 

image.png.5aaf8fdb6ab76aad0cc62f6deaa1fa7f.png