• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2022

25 minutes ago, Voyager said:

CTP must know about the Tamaqua Split. No mention of severe in my forecast...

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 61. Calm wind.
Tuesday
A slight chance of showers before 2pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 2pm and 3pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 3pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 81. Light south wind increasing to 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

I see a 70% chance of showers & thunderstorms in what you copied here.

Hopefully we all get a decent shower & storm with nothing severe.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Not in a position to look right now but I believe highest average temp occurs around third week of July, similar to coldest period being around third to fourth week of January. 

@Blizzard of 93 to circle back on this, the highest average daily temp for MDT is 77.6, which occurs over a nine day stretch spanning Jul 12-20.  A low of 66 here.  Looks like we have a couple of chances for some action this week, weather that is B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Front yard is toast, literally...a few green blotches.  Not dead but dry and brownish.  Back yard is where I still have to mow once every couple weeks.   Trees back there protect the grass a bit. 

Same thing for my yard, except it's my front yard that is lush and my backyard is drying out quickly. I did complete mow #25 on Saturday...some areas needed it, other areas notsomuch. 

15 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I noticed in another CTP chart that the high temperature in Philadelphia on July 4th, 1776 was 76 degrees!

Indeed, although a little misleading since he only took measurements irregularly. The highest reading was 76 at 1:00 pm. Presumably this is local solar time, since not only did daylight saving time not exist then, it also predates standard time. So this would be about 2:05 pm EDT, or reasonably close to maximum heating. Interestingly, the modern normal high in Philly is in the upper 80s, but the highest temperatures observed by Ben that month were 84F at 5:20 pm LST on July 22; 83-1/2 F at 6 and 7 pm LST on July 27; 83-1/3 F at 1 pm on July 28; and 82-3/4 at 12 pm on July 28. Given the small ranges, it looks like the thermometer was probably in a sheltered window sill, so I don't now how much value this has from a climate standpoint.

0055.jpg

• Like 1

83, overcast, dp 72; predictably muggy when the wind is still, but not bad at all when there’s a breeze going. Wind has been picking up a bit over the last 15 minutes or so and some darker clouds overhead but no rain so far.

My weather.gov forecast says “partly sunny” for both today and tomorrow. I’ve come to realize that “partly sunny” here almost always means “wall-to-wall clouds, but with a few rare moments, spread very intermittently throughout the day, where the sun might very briefly, and only partially, break through”.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Streak said:

83, overcast, dp 72; predictably muggy when the wind is still, but not bad at all when there’s a breeze going. Wind has been picking up a bit over the last 15 minutes or so and some darker clouds overhead but no rain so far.

My weather.gov forecast says “partly sunny” for both today and tomorrow. I’ve come to realize that “partly sunny” here almost always means “wall-to-wall clouds, but with a few rare moments, spread very intermittently throughout the day, where the sun might very briefly, and only partially, break through”.

So the official definition of Partly Sunny, according to the NWS: (sounds like your sky conditions do NOT match the stated criteria) 

The NWS definition states that between 3/8 and 5/8 of the sky is covered by clouds when it's classified as partly cloudy or partly sunny. Sometimes, a "mix of sun and clouds" is used by some forecasters instead of "partly sunny" during the daytime hours, though it is not an official NWS term.

• Thanks 1