• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2022

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Fortunately, ours aren't anywhere near that - but there are areas close by that are much higher than ours. 

Where near Tamaqua? I know taxes are high here, especially in the townships. It'd have been cool to have you as a "neighbor" though.

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I think it was Bubbler that mentioned Tamaqua - I was referring to other areas in Lancaster county. 

We were looking at a place in Hometown @Voyager.  Taxes were 8-9K if I remember correctly.for a house selling at 179K in 2018.   The opportunity to be called a Homeboy was not worth that much though! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We were looking at a place in Hometown @Voyager.  Taxes were 8-9K if I remember correctly.for a house selling at 179K in 2018.   The opportunity to be called a Homeboy was not worth that much though! 

Wow that must have been an insane millage rate to get taxes that high off of a property value of 179.  Crazy.

16 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Wow that must have been an insane millage rate to get taxes that high off of a property value of 179.  Crazy.

Not sure I investigated it that far but the taxes were listed on the Zillow listing and MLS listing and we confirmed it was not a case of someone not getting a Homestead.    My wife viewed the home with a realtor and that was when she was told the taxes were so bad in that district.   But imagine that, your mortgage is paid off yet you are still on the hook for $700/MO. 

@Mount Joy Snowman, I searched back through some emails and found the millage rate per the realtor:  .06850(school and county millage).  Of course some of this relies on what they assess it at.  She said "Mahanoy Area is one the school districts that never stopped reassessing"

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Not sure I investigated it that far but the taxes were listed on the Zillow listing and MLS listing and we confirmed it was not a case of someone not getting a Homestead.    My wife viewed the home with a realtor and that was when she was told the taxes were so bad in that district.   But imagine that, your mortgage is paid off yet you are still on the hook for $700/MO. 

@Mount Joy Snowman, I searched back through some emails and found the millage rate per the realtor:  .06850(school and county millage).  Of course some of this relies on what they assess it at.  She said "Mahanoy Area is one the school districts that never stopped reassessing"

Wow, if just the school and county rate was 6.85% that's crazy high and explains the insane taxes.  For perspective, my total property tax rate here in West Hempfield is 22.1189 mills, or roughly 2.2%, and that's including a municipal rate of 1.95 mils that I'm not sure you were even factoring in.  Wonder why they are so high up that way.

I always tell my wife you never truly own your home, even after paying off your mortgage, and if you think you do, try not paying your property tax bill and see what happen haha.

16 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Wow, if just the school and county rate was 6.85% that's crazy high and explains the insane taxes.  For perspective, my total property tax rate here in West Hempfield is 22.1189 mills, or roughly 2.2%, and that's including a municipal rate of 1.95 mils that I'm not sure you were even factoring in.  Wonder why they are so high up that way.

I always tell my wife you never truly own your home, even after paying off your mortgage, and if you think you do, try not paying your property tax bill and see what happen haha.

It seems to me that a school district cost XXX dollars to run even if smaller.   When you have a populous Twp you get XXX dollars in taxes but when a not so populous Twp there is only XX dollars available so that extra X needs to come from somewhere.