Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2022

40 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I take a different approach.   I’ll give you a hint.  BOOM 

It seems this year there are a lot of critters around. Not to mention squirrels, chipmunks, mice. And hardly anyone the last few years hunts small game anymore. I also noticed that the deer have become so brave lately coming close to the house and in the garden.

23 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

It seems this year there are a lot of critters around. Not to mention squirrels, chipmunks, mice. And hardly anyone the last few years hunts small game anymore. I also noticed that the deer have become so brave lately coming close to the house and in the garden.

That’s very true.   I think a lot has to do with the younger generations not following in their parent’s footsteps.   Deer hunting for example, you could basically get as many doe tags as you wanted in my wma zone of 5A last year.   That was unheard of, even 5 years ago but there’s not enough hunting licensees being sold and the deer harvest is down.   And no young hunters taking the place of the older generation unable to go out anymore.  

My family and I had a great time in the Outer Banks! The weather was mostly beautiful with high temps in the low 80’s with low humidity.

We had showers one evening but the main weather issue was the wind on 2 of the days at the beach. We had some beach umbrella issues those days. I was thinking of @canderson cursing about the wind!

We really enjoyed all that the Outer Banks region had to offer with the beach, the dunes and the nearby historic Wright Brothers and Lost Colony sites.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

That’s very true.   I think a lot has to do with the younger generations not following in their parent’s footsteps.   Deer hunting for example, you could basically get as many doe tags as you wanted in my wma zone of 5A last year.   That was unheard of, even 5 years ago but there’s not enough hunting licensees being sold and the deer harvest is down.   And no young hunters taking the place of the older generation unable to go out anymore.  

I think in a decade or two the deer population is going to be an issue (if not now.)   Not only are there less people hunting, but 10-15% of the US population is some level of not red meat eating as to their diet (vegan pesca, vegetarian, etc) .  Much, much higher than just 30 years ago when it was 1-2 percent. 

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think in a decade or two the deer population is going to be an issue (if not now.)   Not only are there less people hunting, but 10-15% of the US population is some level of not red meat eating as to their diet (began pesca, vegetarian, etc) .  Much, much higher than just 30 years ago when it was 1-2 percent. 

Good point with diets changing.    

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I read just a few weeks ago the Pa. Game Commission is worked in 10 years that there won't be enough hunters to keep the deer population in check, due to the older ones dying off and the lack of younger ones taking an interest in the sport.

8 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I read just a few weeks ago the Pa. Game Commission is worked in 10 years that there won't be enough hunters to keep the deer population in check, due to the older ones dying off and the lack of younger ones taking an interest in the sport.

They can fix that by paying people to do it....unfortunately.   That would end up with a lot of 30 and 40 somethings shooting each other though. 

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

My family and I had a great time in the Outer Banks! The weather was mostly beautiful with high temps in the low 80’s with low humidity.

We had showers one evening but the main weather issue was the wind on 2 of the days at the beach. We had some beach umbrella issues those days. I was thinking of @canderson cursing about the wind!

We really enjoyed all that the Outer Banks region had to offer with the beach, the dunes and the nearby historic Wright Brothers and Lost Colony sites.

Glad to hear you had a great time! 

Low humidity on the North Carolina coast in mid to late June is exceptionally rare. We've never once had that. Awesome that you did. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

It’s all good.  This is my 14th year.   I know what I signed up for.   I have 6 hard months and 6 easy months.   I’m right at ground zero 

Yes. I did it for a little while. 16 hour days 7 days per week was too much for me, and the wife as well. Had to get out. I have a more manageable schedule being a truck driver.

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

87 here. A degree higher than yesterday at this time. Yesterday I reached 92. It's notably more windy today...actually, it's quite gusty. Surprised there aren't more comments about the wind.

Not much wind here - around 10 mph. Out of the SE which is not too common. 

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Not much wind here - around 10 mph. Out of the SE which is not too common. 

29 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, little to no wind her either.   It is definitely hot in the sun. 

That's odd. My front door faces south and it's vibrating from the wind. Still is. 

Just reached 90 - #10th time this year.

• Like 1