Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2022

32 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Good morning everyone!

My family & I are on the way to the Outer Banks today for vacation this week.

We are staying in Kill Devil Hills, NC. 
Does anyone have recommendations for places to visit or restaurants to go to down there? 
I haven’t been down there since I was a kid.

Thanks in advance!

Spent at least 10 years staying in KDH - just 3 years ago I experienced 85+mph winds that blew Adirondack chairs off our 3rd floor deck. I posted quite a few stories about that storm.

Restaurants - Kill Devil Diner is fantastic! It's down at milepost 8.5 on the Beach Road. Get there early or you'll have a long wait.

Goombay's at milepost 7 on the Beach Road is also very good. Nice relaxed Caribbean vibe to it. Not too crowded for lunch, it does get crowded for dinner after 5-5:30pm. 

Tale Of The Whale is on the Causeway to Manteo. Awesome water views and great food. This place is packed for dinner, and for good reason. Go early!

Have a fantastic week. This is the first year I'm not going to OBX since 2001. I miss it already. 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Spent at least 10 years staying in KDH - just 3 years ago I experienced 85+mph winds that blew Adirondack chairs off our 3rd floor deck. I posted quite a few stories about that storm.

Restaurants - Kill Devil Diner is fantastic! It's down at milepost 8.5 on the Beach Road. Get there early or you'll have a long wait.

Goombay's at milepost 7 on the Beach Road is also very good. Nice relaxed Caribbean vibe to it. Not too crowded for lunch, it does get crowded for dinner after 5-5:30pm. 

Tale Of The Whale is on the Causeway to Manteo. Awesome water views and great food. This place is packed for dinner, and for good reason. Go early!

Have a fantastic week. This is the first year I'm not going to OBX since 2001. I miss it already. 

Places to visit - Jockey's Ridge State Park (milepost 12) has the largest sand dunes on the East Coast, plus a great visitors center.

You can also climb both the Bodie Island and world famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouses. Both of those are on Hatteras Island. Bodie is only about 20-30 minutes south of KDH, Cape Hatteras is about an hour, but it's a gorgeous drive down NC 12. 

If you're looking for a day trip, drive 90 minutes to the southern end of Hatteras Island and drive on the free ferry to Ocracoke Island. Quaint little village at the end of the island with plenty of shops and restaurants. All local, no chain stuff. Between the drive and the ferry back and forth, you'll want to budget an entire day to do this.  

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

84 in the Ville.   I think we may make it but it may only be for an hour or two until the dryer/cooler air starts filtering in. 

I don't know about cooler, but the drier air has begun to filter in here.  A few hours ago the dew point was 73.  Now it's down to 66 and going down fairly fast.  Temp holding at 87.3.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sauss06 said:

we lost power in Summerdale, came back on around 330am. 

Good thing it happened later at night and not earlier or the next day. I was talking to my dad and he said he saw the power was out there in summerdale. Not sure why enola faired better but those storms must have caused some issues. I know Marysville had damage so it might have been related I feel

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Sorry man, have to ask.  Who is mowing your grass while away?  LOL.  In seriousness have a great time. 

Lol, I might need to see if I can bribe @sauss06 to see if he can make the short trip up the road to Marysville to mow my yard! I would buy him a case of beer…lol!

My lawn might be 1 foot tall by the time I get back after the 2 inches of rain last night!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thanks so much for this great information! Hopefully we can try some of these places.

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol, I might need to see if I can bribe @sauss06 to see if he can make the short trip up the road to Marysville to mow my yard! I would buy him a case of beer…lol!

My lawn might be 1 foot tall by the time I get back after the 2 inches of rain last night!

@paweather has his eyes on one of those in that case. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

Thanks so much for this great information! Hopefully we can try some of these places.

You're welcome. KDH is a great location being only 7 miles from the bridge over to OBX, and has a lot of things to do in the area.

I almost forgot one of the most important things in KDH to visit in our history - the Wright Brother's First Flight museum. That is a MUST do! 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You're welcome. KDH is a great location being only 7 miles from the bridge over to OBX, and has a lot of things to do in the area.

I almost forgot one of the most important things in KDH to visit in our history - the Wright Brother's First Flight museum. That is a MUST do! 

Thanks, yes we plan on going to the Wright Brother’s museum.

We are also going to Roanoke to see the “Lost Colony” show on Tuesday evening.

We enjoy mixing in some historic sightseeing on our vacations.

The Lost Colony Show is something I would really enjoy.  Should be interesting.    image.png.ebfc8231a74aa9e93b9ceaed1214d2cf.png

• Like 2

Great choice! 

The forecast for KDH starting tomorrow through most of next week is wall to wall sun. Enjoy! Don't let the temps in the mid 80s fool you...it will be quite humid with high heat indices. We like to go to the beach after 4pm - much more pleasant than around high noon. Less people around you as well. 

• Thanks 1