Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Observations 2022

yotaman

35 minutes ago, goldsborosnow said:

The .03" that fell in my backyard yard in Pikeville yesterday brings my monthly total to .35" for the month.  Storms have missed my house by a matter of 1-2 miles in all directions over the last 4-6 weeks. 

Ouch. That corridor along 95 has been exceptionally dry. We’ve caught the edge of a few decaying mcs systems but they did not make it much further east of here. I’m surprised the storms yesterday totally collapsed east of US 1. Models definitely were more bullish for the area than reality. I do wonder if the extremely dry ground and surface condo may actually work to thwart some rain opportunities and storm development 

2 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Ouch. That corridor along 95 has been exceptionally dry. We’ve caught the edge of a few decaying mcs systems but they did not make it much further east of here. I’m surprised the storms yesterday totally collapsed east of US 1. Models definitely were more bullish for the area than reality. I do wonder if the extremely dry ground and surface condo may actually work to thwart some rain opportunities and storm development 

I think the combination of the dry ground and pretty extensive cloud cover messed things up for us yesterday. I definitely had my hopes up since it was during the peak heat of the day.  I think it's to the point now of needing a tropical system or a deep tropical fetch for few days to get things back to normal.

Much better rain coverage in the triangle this morning with a 20% chance of rain than a lot of days this month with 50-70% chances. 0.26” for the day, may get another shower or two. 1.96” for the month now 

EDIT: picked up and additional 0.04” for a total of 0.30” for the day and an even 2.00” for the month! Did not think we’d hit 2” this month, but we clawed our way there somehow. Makes a very dry month slightly better 

For the first time in 2 weeks (6/14), I'm getting a big dousing from thunderstorms. Been getting them for the last 1.5 hours (since 1:20 PM) and will thus add up nicely. There is some street flooding. I'll provide the total later. Until today, most of my rain this month fell 6/8-14. I got a modest amount yesterday (0.25") bringing me to 4.35" MTD before today's dousing.

Recent radar:

RadarLocal062922.thumb.png.35a94f84880762666fc8ccb085e4b5fe.png

Edit for Flood advisory issued 1/2 hour ago and also this report in the area of 2.48" in only one hour:

0312 PM HEAVY RAIN 1 NNE VERNONBURG 31.98N 81.11W   06/29/2022 M2.48 INCH CHATHAM GA

It looks like 2.5" has fallen IMBY, which brings me to 6.85" MTD (slightly above the longterm mean for all of June). This makes it the heaviest for any one day since way back on 11/6/21, when a similar amount fell. That amount is as much as I got in all of May.

• Like 1

Highest temp: 99.7

Lowest temp: 54.2

Monthly Precip: 2.00”

The one positive I will say about a very hot and dry month overall is models and forecasts definitely overdid extended periods of heat for both of our heatwaves. 2 weeks ago we did near 100 but we got clouds and some storm complexes that offered much more relief than expected. We had an excessive heat warning issued and didn’t even verify heat advisory conditions. Last weeks heatwave was WAY overdone on models. We had two warm days then a pleasant week with several rain events. Otherwise, just hot and dry summer weather ruled the month 

I got 0.15" yesterday to finish June at 7.0". After being in drought conditions for quite a long time and being about the driest of anywhere in the SE from mid November through May 20th, things have suddenly turned around here since then. Hoping many of the still dry areas in the SE have better luck in July.

My June hottest was 102.7 early afternoon on June 23rd, the hottest for any day in at least several years!

After midnight tonight, my area unexpectedly got slammed. But the details of that will have to wait for the July thread.