Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Observations 2022

yotaman

9 hours ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

PreSolstice Chill

I see two SE GA circles representing new record lows, but I can't find any that even came that close to a record. I checked the main stations of SAV, Ft. Stewart, SSI, Alma and Waycross. So, this coolwx map doesn't look right.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shack said:

Unqualified HOT in Macon today.  106deg at MCN.

That follows a low this morning of 64deg.  Very unusual spread of 41 degrees.  For June, got to be almost unheard of.

Despite similar conditions, including light winds and sunny skies, and almost identical normal highs, Macon's high on Wednesday was 105 while Augusta's high was "only" 99. Why? It is all about recent rainfall. Last June, for example, their temperatures were very similar, which is typical. Neither then had dry soils.

What's happening now though?

Macon rainfall since 5/25/22: a mere 0.23". So, they literally bake like in a desert.  

OTOH, Augusta rainfall since 5/25/22 has been a much higher 2.96". So, much less baking.

Actually the big differential started on June 11th. Before that June 1-10 average highs were similar with Macon at 90.7 and Augusta at 90.6. There had not yet been enough time for large soil moisture differences to have developed.

In contrast, look at June 11th-22nd average highs: Macon 99.1 and Augusta 94.1, a whopping 5.0 difference! Daily differences 6/11-22 Macon minus Augusta:

3, 6, 3, 8, 8, 6, 2, 4, 5, 6, 4, 6

I've found that local rainfall over the prior 3-4 weeks often has a big impact on summer high temperatures and this is a great example.

1. At 1:15 PM, it hit 102.0 imby!

2. As of 1 PM, Macon is at 99 vs only 94 at Augusta. So, once again, Macon is coming in quite a bit hotter than Augusta.

Edit: 102.7 IMBY 2:55 PM!

Then it suddenly plunged 4 degrees to 98.7 at 3:01 PM! I think this is due to a slight increase in cloudcover as I don't think the wind direction shifted. I guess when it is that anomalously hot, any slight change can easily knock the temp down. I'm assuming our high so far of 102.7 won't be exceeded the rest of the day.

Edit #2: 102 very close to the coast at St. Simons Island at 4 PM is a new record high. They can thank the NW wind totally opposing any chance for a seabreeze.

KSAV has so far at least tied the record high for today at 102. That is already enough to be the hottest in 3 years and the first 100+ in 3 years. That also ties the hottest all of the way back to 2001 and is the hottest in June since 2011.

Edit: SSI had a new record high of 103!

• Sad 1

Alma, GA, had a new record high for the entire month of June at 105 and also ties the all-time record high set in August of 1995! Records go back to 1938. This was quite the historic day in SE Ga and nearby areas. I think the models did a pretty good job of warning us about this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GaWx said:

1. At 1:15 PM, it hit 102.0 imby!

2. As of 1 PM, Macon is at 99 vs only 94 at Augusta. So, once again, Macon is coming in quite a bit hotter than Augusta.

Edit: 102.7 IMBY 2:55 PM!

Then it suddenly plunged 4 degrees to 98.7 at 3:01 PM! I think this is due to a slight increase in cloudcover as I don't think the wind direction shifted. I guess when it is that anomalously hot, any slight change can easily knock the temp down. I'm assuming our high so far of 102.7 won't be exceeded the rest of the day.

Edit #2: 102 very close to the coast at St. Simons Island at 4 PM is a new record high. They can thank the NW wind totally opposing any chance for a seabreeze.

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

Alma, GA, had a new record high for the entire month of June at 105 and also ties the all-time record high set in August of 1995! Records go back to 1938. This was quite the historic day in SE Ga and nearby areas. I think the models did a pretty good job of warning us about this.

I love big heat, so this is really cool lol

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I love big heat, so this is really cool lol

I'll pass lol. No more big heat today in this area despite continued sunshine. How much cooler than 24 hour ago? SAV 10, Hunter 14, Ft. Stewart 11, and SSI 11 all thanks to east winds off the ocean instead of the hot W to NW winds from inland of yesterday.

So, it was quite a potent heat event here but thankfully it was very shortlived with no return of big heat in sight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hallelujah, we finally got a good soaker. Picked up 0.76” most of which fell from the lead cell, but then enjoyed a couple hours of light rain afterwards. It is beautiful out now. A pleasant 72 degrees with the sun breaking through the clouds. A paltry 1.70” on the month, and this looks likely to stand as our monthly total. 

Got an astounding 0.02" out of the storms today.  The line was super lively right up until it got east of Raleigh and then it just fell apart.  Does anyone know why that was?  Was there an area of dry air or something?  Did we have too much cloud cover in the morning?

2 hours ago, yotaman said:

.03" here yesterday, nothing today. The big dry continues.

Frustrating watching storms pop up all along the stalled front across South Carolina when just a few days ago most models had the front stalled across North Carolina with multiple days of rain. My backyard was one of the lucky ones yesterday to get a good soaking, but that was our largest rain for the month and only the 4th rain event all month. Being most of our rains were brief showers or storms, it was a heck of a lot of dry for June. Some models look slightly more wet for tomorrow, we will see. 1.70” for the month certainly leaves much to be desired, especially given the heatwaves that seemed to cause flash drought conditions across the area 

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Frustrating watching storms pop up all along the stalled front across South Carolina when just a few days ago most models had the front stalled across North Carolina with multiple days of rain. My backyard was one of the lucky ones yesterday to get a good soaking, but that was our largest rain for the month and only the 4th rain event all month. Being most of our rains were brief showers or storms, it was a heck of a lot of dry for June. Some models look slightly more wet for tomorrow, we will see. 1.70” for the month certainly leaves much to be desired, especially given the heatwaves that seemed to cause flash drought conditions across the area 

The .03" that fell in my backyard yard in Pikeville yesterday brings my monthly total to .35" for the month.  Storms have missed my house by a matter of 1-2 miles in all directions over the last 4-6 weeks.