• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Observations 2022

yotaman

The dewpoints today never got below the upper 60s here. Since that 1.75" rain two weeks ago that stopped me from needing to irrigate my lawn, I've gotten no more than ~0.75". With no significant rains in the forecast anytime soon, I expect to resume irrigation very soon, maybe tonight.

MBY got a very beneficial ~0.90" of rainfall yesterday evening (June 8th) from heavy thunderstorms, which included at least one close CTG strike. This was easily the heaviest rainfall here in 2.5 weeks and puts me near 1.5" MTD. I had irrigated my lawn a few days ago for the first time in a couple of weeks after a rather dry period. Yesterday's nice rain means I can hold off further irrigation at least through the weekend and then reassess early next week.

Edit regarding the next day (June 9th): Getting slammed now with a heavy thunderstorm. I ended up with a big win with ~1.5" late afternoon getting me to 3" MTD, which suddenly gets me to wetter than normal MTD.

• Like 2

Made it to 98.9 yesterday. Highest HI was 106.3. Pretty dang miserable. Praying one of these storm systems makes it further east. Seems to be more rain than modeled in western piedmont. Hopefully these systems are throwing out some good outflow boundaries for the afternoon heating to take advantage of and give us some storm coverage. We absolutely need the rain and anything to temper the heat today will be appreciated 

It reached the upper 90s in this area before thunderstorms moved in and cooled it back a lot. Hope to get a decent dousing this afternoon though any is better than nothing. 

Edit: It has turned out to be a really nice dousing. Still raining. 2 very closeby CTG strikes caused power to blink. Still more nearby lightning strikes. Ended up with 0.90", which brings me to a nice 3.90" MTD and already the wettest month since November!

Temp on the raised back deck is 97F, after 95F in the last two days.  I suspect it may be a bit high.

Popping a probe into the soil of the poor wilting deck plants showed temps at the roots from 91-115F.  The ones in dark-colored pots with no mulch are really unhappy with their life right now.  All of the soil temps below 95F were in pots that were either white colored, heavily mulched, or had not been in the blasting sun until a few minutes prior.  I've been using a chopped/shredded coir for mulch, which ends up being a mottled brown-red after it dries out.

Black-Eyed-Susan vine (Thunbergia alata) is just loving this heat.  It wants lots of water, but if it's kept watered, it will climb over everything at 2+ feet of growth per week.

There was a small popup storm nearby that gave us some great thunder and gusty breezes - but the breezes were hot.  Not a hint of cooling moisture.  Harumph.  If you're not going to give us rain relief you could at least give us outflow relief.

Had a high of 95 before the cloud cover moved in and dropped us into the 80's around 2 pm. Dew point also dropped from the upper 70's to the upper 60's too. Sun came back out around 7 and dew point responded accordingly back to the mid 70's. No rain.