Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Banter 2022

George BM

Just now, H2O said:

That might help you finally hit one into the outfield. All these dribbler hits to the shortstop. :P

Hey! I actually had an outfield base hit Friday, and had to run from first to home to score, so :P 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

LOL I am not 85 years old. 50+ years too much hahahaha. Thank you for the wishes! 

Thank you! Softball later, I was told there would be jello shots just for me. Ill take it ;) 

Hahaha!!  Yeah I know you're not anywhere near 85.  As for @H2O and "Jurassic", well, that might still apply!

Oh and have a great time at your softball game, along with the jello shots!  I miss playing, it was fun...but decided to hang up the cleats this year in the league I've been on for a long time.  Like 17 years before COVID canceled the past 2 seasons, and that last season ended for me when I broke a finger on one play.  Just too much going on now and yeah, dare I say, getting a bit old for it!  I'll joke and say that without me playing now, our outfield has probably improved greatly! LOL!!!  I may show up at the annual tournament later this summer as a "guest" and take photos (and drink beer!), though.

41 minutes ago, H2O said:

They allowed you to run the bases with a Walker?  That must have taken hours!

Quiet you lol

24 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hahaha!!  Yeah I know you're not anywhere near 85.  As for @H2O and "Jurassic", well, that might still apply!

Oh and have a great time at your softball game, along with the jello shots!  I miss playing, it was fun...but decided to hang up the cleats this year in the league I've been on for a long time.  Like 17 years before COVID canceled the past 2 seasons, and that last season ended for me when I broke a finger on one play.  Just too much going on now and yeah, dare I say, getting a bit old for it!  I'll joke and say that without me playing now, our outfield has probably improved greatly! LOL!!!  I may show up at the annual tournament later this summer as a "guest" and take photos (and drink beer!), though.

Thank you! It’s always a good time :) 

Woop Woop.

U.S. supercomputers for weather and climate forecasts get major bump

Today, NOAA inaugurated the nation’s newest weather and climate supercomputers with an operational run of the National Blend of Models. The new supercomputers, first announced in February 2020 with a contract award to General Dynamics Information Technology (GDIT), provide a significant upgrade to computing capacity, storage space and interconnect speed of the nation’s Weather and Climate Operational Supercomputing System.

“Accurate weather and climate predictions are critical to informing public safety, supporting local economies, and addressing the threat of climate change,” said U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina M. Raimondo. “Through strategic and sustained investments, the U.S. is reclaiming a global top spot in high-performance computing to provide more accurate and timely climate forecasts to the public.”

“More computing power will enable NOAA to provide the public with more detailed weather forecasts further in advance,” said NOAA Administrator, Rick Spinrad, Ph.D. “Today’s supercomputer implementation is the culmination of years of hard work by incredible teams across NOAA — everyone should be proud of this accomplishment.”

“This is a big day for NOAA and the state of weather forecasting,” said Ken Graham, director of NOAA’s National Weather Service. “Researchers are developing new ensemble-based forecast models at record speed, and now we have the computing power needed to implement many of these substantial advancements to improve weather and climate prediction.”

Enhanced computing and storage capacity will allow NOAA to deploy higher-resolution models to better capture small-scale features like severe thunderstorms, more realistic model physics to better capture the formation of clouds and precipitation, and a larger number of individual model simulations to better quantify model certainty. The end result is even better forecasts and warnings to support public safety and the national economy.

The new supercomputers will enable an upgrade to the U.S. Global Forecast System (GFS) this fall and the launch of a new hurricane forecast model called the Hurricane Analysis and Forecast System (HAFS), slated to be in operation for the 2023 hurricane season pending tests and evaluation.

In addition, the new supercomputers will enable NOAA’s Environmental Modeling Center — a division of the National Weather Service’s National Centers for Environmental Prediction — to implement other new applications created by model developers across the U.S. under the Unified Forecast System offsite link over the next five years.

The twin Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) Cray supercomputers, called Dogwood and Cactus, are named after the flora native to their geographic locations of Manassas, Virginia, and Phoenix, Arizona, respectively. They replace NOAA’s previous Cray and IBM supercomputers in Reston, Virginia, and Orlando, Florida. The computers serve as a primary and a backup for seamless transfer of operations from one system to another.

Each supercomputer operates at a speed of 12.1 petaflops, three times faster than NOAA’s former system. Coupled with NOAA’s research and development supercomputers in West Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi and Colorado, which have a combined capacity of 18 petaflops, the supercomputing capacity supporting NOAA’s new operational prediction and research is now 42 petaflops.

According to GDIT, Dogwood and Cactus are currently ranked as the 49th and 50th fastest computers in the world by TOP500.

Under the initial 8-year contract with a 2-year optional renewal, GDIT designed and serves as owner/operator of the computers with the responsibility to maintain them and provide all supplies and services, including labor, facilities and computing components.

The first phase of the contract covers products and services for the first five years, after which NOAA will work with the contractor to plan the next upgrade phase,” said David Michaud, director of the National Weather Service’s Office of Central Processing. “This new total managed service approach ensured that we could acquire the best system in the marketplace that can be adjusted as our needs grow in the future.”

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/us-supercomputers-for-weather-and-climate-forecasts-get-major-bump?fbclid=IwAR0IQABRjY8gSiJAnLwOq2McJN-UsEtScFq_4osYwgEVT23OHvwFxLo-noM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nature report...there's a family of 4-5 fox kits and mom living very very close somewhere. Been seeing them a lot. This is the 3rd eve in a row I've noticed them come out to frolic along the river's edge during sunset. Just having a ball racing and scampering, occasional puppy-fighting. Sproing!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Kay said:

Nature report...there's a family of 4-5 fox kits and mom living very very close somewhere. Been seeing them a lot. This is the 3rd eve in a row I've noticed them come out to frolic along the river's edge during sunset. Just having a ball racing and scampering, occasional puppy-fighting. Sproing!

We were at Broadkill Beach this week and heard foxes on Monday night from indoors after sunset. Then on Tuesday, we were the only ones sitting on the beach near sunset and saw two adult foxes carefully make their way out from the dunes. A few minutes later, three kits (I want to call them pups but know that’s wrong) join them. The kits were loving it. Jumping and tackling each other in the sand. Very cute.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic