• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Banter 2022

George BM

Man this weather has been makin' me upset all year. Misses in almost every in the winter, misses in every direction in severe season...I gotta stop letting it get me upset because it's obvious that lately it just don't wanna land right for my yard. But I don't even wanna think about this winter, tbh. I can stop tracking but when things miss I'll still know, lol Gotta deal with it without wanting to throw the nearest non-breakable object everytime, lol

5 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I'm working on a written recap of the 2012 Derecho for AccuWeather (yes, I know, hold your groans) -- if anyone wants to briefly speak/email with me about their personal recollections of the storm, reply to this or send me a DM. Would be cool to get a comment or two from you folks.

Didn’t hit me head on, line broke up just as it hit my area at the time, but half my apartment complex lost power while we didn’t. Lol. Def not worthy of adding to your recap, just wanted to share how I missed out 

8 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I'm working on a written recap of the 2012 Derecho for AccuWeather (yes, I know, hold your groans) -- if anyone wants to briefly speak/email with me about their personal recollections of the storm, reply to this or send me a DM. Would be cool to get a comment or two from you folks.

It was remarkable looking to the nw and seeing blue flashes light up the sky as transformer after transformer blew as the line was pushing through. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Not only did I miss the winter of 2009-2010, I also missed this while at the beach.  We did eventually get the line of storms down in OBX but much weaker.  Our townhouse at the time didn’t lose power on Columbia Pike so we had friends stay there until theirs came back on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Hit my area hard.  The winds were unreal and lost power for 6 hours due to downed trees.  just one of the most intense wind driven storms I've seen.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mappy said:

Didn’t hit me head on, line broke up just as it hit my area at the time, but half my apartment complex lost power while we didn’t. Lol. Def not worthy of adding to your recap, just wanted to share how I missed out 

Same here. Decent gust front but the line split. Didn't even get much rain from it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I was in Falls Church near the west falls church metro at the time. Like @nj2va, I remember an unbelievable amount of blue flashes in the sky from both lightning and blowing transformers. It was honestly hard to tell the difference. The sky was an absolutely surreal dark purple/black color. There were trees down across the neighborhood and our house lost power for about 36 hours. It was hotter than heck, so I abandoned ship and went to my parents in PA for the weekend the following morning, as it became clear we weren't getting power back anytime soon. Some folks in my office, particularly those served by PEPCO in the bethesda/chevy chase, silver spring, and takoma park areas were out of power for 5-10 days.

• Like 1

@NorthArlington101 

I remember waking up early that morning as the first cluster of storms raced southeastwards across the NE MD, NJ, Philly region. The temperature raced up into the upper 90s w/ dewpts into the 70s by late in the 10am hour. It was the hottest that I could recall feeling outside at that time of the day. In fact that whole day in general was probably the hottest I'd experienced in my life even through today (6/24/2022). By midday the storms that I'd been watching thorough the morning were closing in on Chicago with the line of storms slowly starting to become oriented more perpendicular to the flow (from W-E to more NNW-SSE). Being someone who's always hoping for a big storm I watched them hoping that they would be able to survive the trek over Lake Michigan and start taking advantage of the unusually hot/humid airmass in their path.

Once they hit Fort Wayne, IN with a 91mph wind gust and a STWarning was issued w/ storm motion of 80mph I knew that the storms were officially tapping into the highly unstable airmass. My only gripe was that based on the speed and trajectory of the storms they would reach my house in Herndon, VA after sunset. But I still watched them with anticipation as they cruised through Ohio and sprinted into West Virginia. By 6:40pm that evening we were placed under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch only making my anticipation grow. Okay enough rambling let's get to the storm...

By 10pm that evening I was listening to WTOP radio talking about a 61mph wind gust in Winchester, VA from the storms. I was outside looking at the occasional lighting in the western sky. Nothing too crazy though. By then a STWarning for quarter size hail and 80mph wind gusts was in place for my area. One interesting aspect of this storm that I remember was that roughly two minutes before the gust front hit an unusually steady westerly wind (no gusts just wind) started to slowly increase until it hit maybe 25mph. During that roughly two-minute period I listened to the familiar crescendo of distance tree leaves rustling in an incoming gust front. Obviously, the gust front eventually hit and when it did the trees started moving in ways that I'd never seen them move before. They were bending like flexible dancers and my eyes were getting covered in dust. About ninety seconds to two minutes into the, probably, 50 to 60 mph wind gusts the power went out and I went inside. The winds remained very strong blowing sheets of rain across the road which I could, surprisingly, see especially when the lightning flashed. Now about the lightning. Remember when I said earlier that it was nothing too crazy in the western sky prior to the storm hitting? Well during the storm the lightning flash frequency increased until it was almost a strobe. Despite that though, and this is another weird aspect that I noticed about the storms, there was only one really audible crack of thunder that occurred two seconds after a flash of lightning. I also remember experiencing a rear-inflow jet for the first time as the winds remained elevated for several minutes after the heavy rain ended with 30 to 40 mph northwesterly gusts common.

The next morning the first thing that I noticed was how refreshing it felt despite the forecasted temperatures and humidity being identical to the previous day. I walked around the neighborhood and found two trees that had been toppled over and one tree that was spilt down the middle. Though overall, my area got off easy compared to a lot of other neighborhoods around the DMV. I even got power back by 10:30am that morning while some spots were without power for one to even as much as two weeks. I consider it the strongest thunderstorm that I've personally experienced in my lifetime. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paleocene said:

I was in Falls Church near the west falls church metro at the time. Like @nj2va, I remember an unbelievable amount of blue flashes in the sky from both lightning and blowing transformers. It was honestly hard to tell the difference. The sky was an absolutely surreal dark purple/black color. There were trees down across the neighborhood and our house lost power for about 36 hours. It was hotter than heck, so I abandoned ship and went to my parents in PA for the weekend the following morning, as it became clear we weren't getting power back anytime soon. Some folks in my office, particularly those served by PEPCO in the bethesda/chevy chase, silver spring, and takoma park areas were out of power for 5-10 days.

That’s my neighborhood.  I will never let my brother forget that he dragged me out of town for his wedding and made me miss one of the great weather events.  Had to patch a baseball sized hole in my roof from a branch when I got back.  

That said, there was more destruction as far as houses hit by trees in last August’s microburst close to me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, H2O said:

Everyone wish @mappya very happy birthday today!!

She turns 85 today but is amazingly spry and full of energy. Especially for sleet. She loves sleet. 

Happy Birthday!!  Hope you get storms and 85 lightning strikes!!

Ha!

Happy Birthday Mrs. Map!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, H2O said:

She turns 85 today but is amazingly spry and full of energy. Especially for sleet. She loves sleet. 

You serious Clark?  I thought I was the oldest one here! :P

Happy Birthday Mappy! :D

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, H2O said:

Happy Birthday @mappy!  Hope you have a great day!!  Without sleet, of course!

@H2O, if mappy is 85 then that must make you...well, I won't go there, but the word "Jurassic" does come to mind! :lol:

46 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Happy Birthday @mappy!  Hope you have a great day!!  Without sleet, of course!

@H2O, if mappy is 85 then that must make you...well, I won't go there, but the word "Jurassic" does come to mind! :lol:

LOL I am not 85 years old. 50+ years too much hahahaha. Thank you for the wishes! 

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Happy birthday, @mappy! Hope you’re able to celebrate with a dram of whiskey later!

Thank you! Softball later, I was told there would be jello shots just for me. Ill take it ;) 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mappy said:

LOL I am not 85 years old. 50+ years too much hahahaha. Thank you for the wishes! 

Thank you! Softball later, I was told there would be jello shots just for me. Ill take it ;) 

That might help you finally hit one into the outfield. All these dribbler hits to the shortstop. :P

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic