Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh/Western PA Summer 2022 Discussion

52 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I thought June was our peak?

Maybe my memory has failed me, but I remember a tweet from the NWS that said July averaged more thunderstorms than any other month, though I was looking at the severe climatology and you appear correct.  June has more tornadoes and hail reports, at least.

I can't find historical data on severe watches/warnings or t-storms, overall.  Guess I'm a doofus lol.

30 minutes ago, jwilson said:

Maybe my memory has failed me, but I remember a tweet from the NWS that said July averaged more thunderstorms than any other month, though I was looking at the severe climatology and you appear correct.  June has more tornadoes and hail reports, at least.

I can't find historical data on severe watches/warnings or t-storms, overall.  Guess I'm a doofus lol.

If you want historical data on severe watches and SPC kind of stuff since around 2003, go here:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/archive/

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/events/

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jwilson said:

My thought on this would be that severe wind is much more common overall than severe hail or tornadoes, so it would stand to reason that the month with the most severe wind gusts would be the month with the most severe overall, and I could see that being July.

22 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Lol, the GFS wants to give us near all time record heat on 7-28-22.  101.

GFS is advertising the mid/upper 90s heat for next weekend the last few runs. Then again, this weekend is going to be a bust compared to what was forecast/modeled as recently as midweek. Going to be a lot of disgruntled casuals if they didn’t check the weather for a couple days and assumed this weekend would be summery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimB said:

GFS is advertising the mid/upper 90s heat for next weekend the last few runs. Then again, this weekend is going to be a bust compared to what was forecast/modeled as recently as midweek. Going to be a lot of disgruntled casuals if they didn’t check the weather for a couple days and assumed this weekend would be summery.

Yeah, was supposed to be about 88 and sunny today, big bust, lol.

14 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

HRRR and NAM3k much warmer than the global models tomorrow. Wonder if they will score a coup.

At first I thought maybe the HRRR badly underestimated cloud cover on those runs where it got us to 91 but that doesn’t seem to have been the case. Didn’t dive into the details of how it got us to 91 when it had us under cloud cover all day. That said, 80 if we’re lucky.

16 hours ago, TimB said:

Would guess tomorrow and Saturday would be a struggle to get there but Sunday really looks hot on some models if clouds and rain don’t prevent us from maximizing potential.

Yeah, Sunday would be my pick day to hit the mark.  Just the Pittsburgh oddity rearing up again.  Everywhere, literally everywhere around is 90s+ and we struggle to get the upper 80s.

9 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, Sunday would be my pick day to hit the mark.  Just the Pittsburgh oddity rearing up again.  Everywhere, literally everywhere around is 90s+ and we struggle to get the upper 80s.

Would say Sunday is pretty much a lock at this point. Tomorrow looks like a decent chance too.

3 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Could get there today if the storms hold off long enough.

Looks like PIT got to 89 before that was brought to a screeching halt.

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

Really really hoping these storms manage to not kill power. It’s way too hot to have it go out. 

You know what they say about wish in one hand, sh*t in the other.

42 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Got slammed here in the North Hills. 1.38 inches of rain. Hail and winds had to be 60+. Tree branches and a lot of debris on the roads.

I’m in Ross and have been out and about. Haven’t seen any outages or many trees even so did okay least around me. 

after last year’s microburst that I obliterated the area around wildwood CC and not to mention a tornado literally going over my head in October this all seems tame lol.

18 hours ago, TimB said:

Looks like PIT got to 89 before that was brought to a screeching halt.

Figures, lol.

Does anyone think the storms that rolled through yesterday was a Derecho?  I was up at my church's festival trying to set up for the night and it was absolutely wild.  Tents flying and things bending everywhere.  A little scary for a period.  Worst storm I've seen in a long time.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Figures, lol.

Does anyone think the storms that rolled through yesterday was a Derecho?  I was up at my church's festival trying to set up for the night and it was absolutely wild.  Tents flying and things bending everywhere.  A little scary for a period.  Worst storm I've seen in a long time.

Definitely an MCS that produced damage over a pretty significant distance. These are the SPC storm reports for yesterday, which I believe are mostly attributed to two separate MCS that tracked across different regions. I could see where that word would be used.6110334C-6578-4134-BFD6-0143DA83E8FC.jpeg.67ecfaeb82c476615867e76c878cc061.jpeg

• Like 1