• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

The heavier rain last night just barely missed me to the south.  Still, the most rain I've had in a while.

24 hour rain amounts.  Note this does not include what fell between Friday morning and Saturday morning for areas farther west.

prcp-mpe-001-tot-0.png

Such a horrendously boring pattern.  If its going to be a drought anyways why can’t it just go all the way and be hot.  If it gets hot enough maybe it eventually breaks all at once with a monster training MCS.  These constant dry cold fronts do no good.  Drying up precipitation moving in late at night every goddamn time too.  Like a broken record and models just show more and more of the same BS into july.

15 hours ago, Brian D said:

Windy, cool day with highs in the mid 60's. Scattered showers moving through. Glad to see some of you down there finally got some precip.

South and west always performs eventually due to instability.  Michigan is the biggest rain hole these modern times.

22 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

I was suppose to get light showers this morning and then chance of storms later on, I woke up to sunny breaks and turns out, no rain at all! :lmao::lmao: Temp over-performing too because sunny breaks in the overcast. It would be hilarious if I can get through another heat event without any storms but today I'm getting July 8, 2007 vibes with this overcast and muggy Sun afternoon. A F1 tornado that was photogenic touched down 20 mins away from me and it was also a unicorn Supercell that went due south from the peninsula that brought me the worst hail storm I've ever seen here, including the absurd report of tennis ball sized hail in Harriston. I'm not snoozing on today.

A few cells near London and Stratford ON that formed like the HRRR showed but nothing here! This isn't the June I'd experience as a kid, no endless dry cold fronts lol. High chance that I go the whole month without a single t-storm as the next chance is July 1...wow. I had a storm in March.

Current temp at 61F feeling like 59F, yes after having some of the hottest days in recent memory I'm getting a friggin' windchill! One of the most rollercoaster Junes.

On 6/25/2022 at 9:15 AM, Chicago Storm said:

The current activity (last night/today) in the region, and then a potentially more widespread wetter/active period on the way for early July should keep the drought in check for many (Not all) areas.

I’ll have a bit more info in the summer thread later today.

Come on, don't leave us hanging.  :P

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

lol yep.  <3 months till the date of the earliest measurable snowfall on record at MLI (Sep 25, 1942) so in theory it can snow in less than 3 months lol.

It will probably snow more in Sep/Oct than December.

• Haha 2

Bottomed out at 48 this morning at GRR.  Nice cool morning before the next round of heat.  This has certainly been a summer of ups and downs and not one steady dominant temperature regime.  Can't say the same for rain so far though.  Things are getting quite dry around here.  The corn in the fields is looking absolutely awful for this time of the year.

11 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

The last 30 day precip totals show that areas from eastern IL up into lower MI have been getting left out on some of the better rain events.

ffh.jpg

It looks like normal modern-day June climatology of the "dying nocturnal convection" slot happening just east and south of Lake Michigan.  It's more pronounced than ever this year though.

2 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Snoozefest.  But why are days so windy lately with low dews?  I love summer for the lighter winds and high dews.

I was thinking a couple days ago how it feels like it’s been unusually windy for this time of year. More wind coming on Thursday with the heat. 

• Like 1

Some rain is supposed to drop in from the northwest tonight.  Really hard to believe it will make it here intact with such a dry airmass currently in place.  Counting on some dynamic lift squeezing out small amounts of moisture with some lingering elevated instability moving in from the west.

It will have to produce 0.11 to get GRR over an inch for the month.  Hard to say if there will be anything before midnight on the 30th.  Next chance might be July 1.  I don't know if I should root for a miss tonight to get the rare less-than-one-inch June.  Pretty boring rare stat, but whatever.

I don't know if the precip will be well-spread light stratiform, or more cellular hit-and-miss with thunder.  GRR has been pretty good at falling in the gap between cells this summer.

6 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Some rain is supposed to drop in from the northwest tonight.  Really hard to believe it will make it here intact with such a dry airmass currently in place.  Counting on some dynamic lift squeezing out small amounts of moisture with some lingering elevated instability moving in from the west.

It will have to produce 0.11 to get GRR over an inch for the month.  Hard to say if there will be anything before midnight on the 30th.  Next chance might be July 1.  I don't know if I should root for a miss tonight to get the rare less-than-one-inch June.  Pretty boring rare stat, but whatever.

I don't know if the precip will be well-spread light stratiform, or more cellular hit-and-miss with thunder.  GRR has been pretty good at falling in the gap between cells this summer.

I absolutely would.  This isn't a case of being a drought buster, so might as well root against a spoiler.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I absolutely would.  This isn't a case of being a drought buster, so might as well root against a spoiler.

A few models show a general half-inch, but GRR isn't buying it.  I still say better chance of a spoiler with around 0.25" area wide, but could be lower locally.  Cellular activity often finds a way to dance around GRR this year.  Even the north side of town isn't quite so parched as the southeast because of some more hefty nocturnal cells just barely missing around the 13th/14th.

Snoozefest.  But why are days so windy lately with low dews?  I love summer for the lighter winds and high dews.

It’s a product of the deeper mixing we’ve been seeing on a daily basis.

I’m pretty sure that every day so far during this several day stretch, we’ve mixed to at least 850mb.