Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

6 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

It was 95 on my PWS in Saukville when I got home last evening.  I loaded up the dog in the car and headed down to the marina in Port Washington.  It was 64 down there.  Distance is under 4 miles.

Yeah, this time of year, near the big water is always refreshing when it gets hot. But come the dog days, even the lake loses it's cool by then. Time to jump in for relief. Now, tho, jumping in is still like a polar plunge LOL. 

Only made it to 83 at the co-op site yesterday. SW wind brought in a little lake air right where it's located. Another warm one today at 85, but a little less humid on a W wind. 70's tomorrow on a NW wind. :) 

13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

St. Cloud MN still 91 at the midnight ob.  No rest for the ACs up there tonight.

No A/C for me. Toughin it out when it gets hot. But the heat doesn't usually stay that long to really need one. But if a good stretch of heat does come, I'll pull out the old window A/C for that time. Fans do a good job, otherwise.

Yesterday at Duluth, smashed the daily record.

2022 94 1    
1995 88 2    
1988 87 3    
1941 85 4    
1933 84 5    

Hibbing squeaked one out too.

2022 93 1    
1995 92 2    
1988 88 3    
1989 87 4    
1987 84 5    

For the 19th, top 5 heat away from the lake. I-Falls had top 5 heat yesterday, as well.

• Like 1

My daughter asked me for a forecast for my grandson's B-day party, and in looking at that with my other Holiday casts, July doesn't look that hot on a consistent basis. But August may be the opposite. Has a hotter feel to it.

I correctly forecast her wedding in May, and for the wet Memorial weekend, so she is really looking to me for this other stuff now. Hope I don't screw up too bad :)

2 hours ago, Brian D said:

Yeah, this time of year, near the big water is always refreshing when it gets hot. But come the dog days, even the lake loses it's cool by then. Time to jump in for relief. Now, tho, jumping in is still like a polar plunge LOL. 

Only made it to 83 at the co-op site yesterday. SW wind brought in a little lake air right where it's located. Another warm one today at 85, but a little less humid on a W wind. 70's tomorrow on a NW wind. :) 

It is already quite swimmable a lot of places here in the western Lower Peninsula.  It depends very much on the wind direction and various local currents though.  The swimmable layer is only about 1.5 meters deep, so your feet get cold if you let them drop down.

There's definitely an advantage on the east side of Lake Michigan during an early heat wave as southerly winds will cause an onshore current that traps recently generated warmth along the beach.  You have to watch out when the wind switches to northerly though as the cold comes up from below almost instantly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah the change is noticeable in the past couple days.  More and more brown making an appearance.

I feel like there has to be an inch or two of rain every single week to keep the grass green here.  There's a lot of quartz sand here.  It gets hot in the sun and doesn't hold moisture.  Watering just seems like a waste.  It seems like it's just climatology for sunny lawns to go dormant around late June every year... unless there's an unusually wet period (like there was last year).   

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I prefer active wx, but drought can be interesting in its own way when it's bad enough.  

Drought with the pattern coming up is useless, just have to bank on the dry conditions continuing and the pattern flipping back hot in July at some point.

Droughts are rarely a multi-year thing in this region of the country.  I'm not saying it's preferred over active wx.  Just live in the moment and enjoy the ride.  As Joe Bastardi says... enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Droughts are rarely a multi-year thing in this region of the country.  I'm not saying it's preferred over active wx.  Just live in the moment and enjoy the ride.  As Joe Bastardi says... enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you got.

Ban worthy.

• Haha 1