• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

Even our cooler post frontal days are torching.  June is going to switch to a positive anomaly in the next couple days and could end up quite warm.  Which will be quite impressive since we only had 2 above average days through the 13th and those were both only 1 degree above average 

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

I’m here, if you were even talking about me :P enjoying this weather. Although, with the miss south this morning, corn is starting to wilt and shrivel around here. It’s been an impressive heatwave in these parts. 

Crazy reversal of weather, cool and wet was the theme until 10 days ago, and now burnt grass and corn parched for water. 

Heatwave #2 next week. Was going to take the boy to the Brookfield zoo next Wednesday, but that’s postponed. 

Yes I was.  :)

1 hour ago, Baum said:

never heard of this before:

"AND SUBTLY INCREASING PROBABILITIES   
FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A FLASH DROUGHT.  "

2012 could be classified as a flash drought... it came on very fast.  The thing about droughts in this part of the country is that they don't tend to be multi-year events (an obvious exception being the dust bowl years) and it's probably becoming even harder to get a multi-year one given the overall trend toward increased precip.  The deck is stacked against going extremely dry for very long.

Locally, I'm not very worried about drought for a couple weeks yet. We had probably around 2-2.5 inches this week between Monday and Wednesday's storms, and have had a decently wet last month or so. My area in particular has really scored on several popup scenarios that most of the region did not. The Crawfish is actually at bankfull stage right now from the rain the last week here. We can go about 2 weeks or so as it stands without too much trouble. For most of the rest of Southern Wisconsin, it's more like a week with hot and dry before stuff starts to dry out as like I said, rain has been pretty localized for the most part in certain areas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

I’m not so sure we achieve 90’s every day after early week.

was just going by the LOT zone forecast. But anything above 85 is summertime to me. I know you prefer blazing heat. on cue i see the updated zones go upper 80's as opposed to low 90's. 

Here's a rare extremely clear day for the Midwest. I noticed that some of the crops seem to be quite light-colored today. Here is the black/white visible and also colorized visible. I wonder if the corn is showing a lot of light-colored tassels in a bunch of areas. I have also always wondered why eastern Arkansas has a light color on visible imagery at almost all times. I guess the other possibility is that Ohio is a desert today-- lots of sand! Wow, there's really not sandy soil. I just made that up.

HGrges5.jpg

pnVIpvm.jpg

4 degree spread between ORD and MDW right now.  That's nice.

MDW being at 87 is the sign to me that upper 90s are in play there tomorrow.  Based on various factors, I have been figuring that tomorrow adds ~10 degrees to the highs in the area (obviously more than that for areas impacted by lake breeze today)

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Very impressive for your location, especially in June. I’m guessing you only average 2-3 90+ days each year?

High of 96 in town. But right along the shoreline its a little cooler. And looking at the Coop site record, I'd say it's quite variable. From none up to 6 is about what i'm seeing year over year. And June is 1 or 2 every........ last one recorded was 1992, and prior to that it was every few years. Station been in the same spot since the 60's. We shall see if it records a 90, since it's on the shore near Agate Bay, where the ore docks are located. 

Been looking at the PWS around here, and they are all pretty much the same.

Update: There a PWS right on the shoreline up near Castle Danger reading 70. Much different than slightly inland. This morning, my son was delivering gravel near the shore. When he headed back to the pit, as he was going uphill, he hit the warm, humid air, and the windows fogged up immediately. Caught him by surprise. LOL

49 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

St. Cloud MN still 91 at the midnight ob.  No rest for the ACs up there tonight.

Meanwhile it's like 20 degrees cooler here.  Funny to think that.  Gradient is stronger there though which is keeping winds up and slowing down the cooling.

13 hours ago, Brian D said:

High of 96 in town. But right along the shoreline its a little cooler. And looking at the Coop site record, I'd say it's quite variable. From none up to 6 is about what i'm seeing year over year. And June is 1 or 2 every........ last one recorded was 1992, and prior to that it was every few years. Station been in the same spot since the 60's. We shall see if it records a 90, since it's on the shore near Agate Bay, where the ore docks are located. 

Been looking at the PWS around here, and they are all pretty much the same.

Update: There a PWS right on the shoreline up near Castle Danger reading 70. Much different than slightly inland. This morning, my son was delivering gravel near the shore. When he headed back to the pit, as he was going uphill, he hit the warm, humid air, and the windows fogged up immediately. Caught him by surprise. LOL

It was 95 on my PWS in Saukville when I got home last evening.  I loaded up the dog in the car and headed down to the marina in Port Washington.  It was 64 down there.  Distance is under 4 miles.

• Like 1