Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

46 minutes ago, frostfern said:

That one the extreme humidity didn't make it quite this far north though.  The temperature here is nowhere near record territory, but the dewpoint is getting really close to 80 degrees right now.  It seems the lake breeze is really pooling the steam here.  I have NEVER seen an 80 degree dewpoint before in June.  I might be wrong, but I only recall this kind of humid airmass in July.  As a Michigander this is just incredibly oppressive.  Stepping outside feels like walking into a washcloth run under hot water.  I'm just not built for this.  I don't think I'd survive more than a few hours outside.

There’s been plenty of 70+ degree dew points in Michigan in June. Maybe not upper 70s but that’s tough to do any month this far from the Gulf of Mexico. I know we had dew points well into the 70s in June 2020 before the severe storms, I think around June 8th?, 10th? Sometime around then.  That day had 70+ dew points up to Gaylord. 

6 minutes ago, roardog said:

There’s been plenty of 70+ degree dew points in Michigan in June. Maybe not upper 70s but that’s tough to do any month this far from the Gulf of Mexico. I know we had dew points well into the 70s in June 2020 before the severe storms, I think around June 8th?, 10th? Sometime around then.  That day had 70+ dew points up to Gaylord. 

Yea.  It just feels like there's quite a big difference between 72 and 79.  Even between 75 and 79 honestly.  The dewpoint is currently 79 and it's been sitting there for over three hours now.  It's been 75 or higher all afternoon.  Hope it goes down tonight.  The air quality is just oppressive right now.  There's a lot of pollen too, and ozone, and particulate pollution.

Speaking of high dew points. I can remember a day sometime in the mid 2000s where we had dew points around 80 all day along with a completely overcast sky. Temperatures were in the low to mid 80s with dew points around 80 all day with literally no sun. Low clouds socked in all day. I can’t remember too many days where it was that warm with no sun. 

9 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Best KIND could do was 93/74/103. There was a 76 dewpoint earlier in the morning, but the temps then were still in the upper 80's. Still felt like you walked into a thick wall when you stepped outside.

90/79 feels worse than 100/65 to me.  The soup just makes me feel suffocated.  Don't know how the heat index would compare even.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roardog said:

Speaking of high dew points. I can remember a day sometime in the mid 2000s where we had dew points around 80 all day along with a completely overcast sky. Temperatures were in the low to mid 80s with dew points around 80 all day with literally no sun. Low clouds socked in all day. I can’t remember too many days where it was that warm with no sun. 

I remember a few 78 dewpoint days in July in the 2000s.  Also a few muggy days with upper 70s dewpoints the past couple years.  I just don't really remember it happening before June 15 IMBY.  The 1995 heatwave was extremely humid here with a peak dewpoint around 81 or 82 and temperatures in the upper 90s, but that was mid July.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I remember a few 78 dewpoint days in July in the 2000s.  Also a few muggy days with upper 70s dewpoints the past couple years.  I just don't really remember it happening before June 15 IMBY.  The 1995 heatwave was extremely humid here with a peak dewpoint around 81 or 82 and temperatures in the upper 90s, but that was mid July.

I can’t remember if you guys had the derecho in mid July ‘95 or if it went north of you but that day that the derecho hit here, it was 97 before it hit and I can remember what it was like with no power for a couple of days after that. 

For one example of how higher end max temps have seemingly become harder to come by in recent years, I did some digging.  In the era of O'Hare being the official ob site for Chicago (since 1980), today was the 49th time that the max temp has reached 98 degrees or higher.  That averages out to just over one per year, but that's very misleading.  Prior to today, it had not happened since 2012.  But during the 1980s, it happened in 3 consecutive years not once, but twice!

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

For one example of how higher end max temps have seemingly become harder to come by in recent years, I did some digging.  In the era of O'Hare being the official ob site for Chicago (since 1980), today was the 49th time that the max temp has reached 98 degrees or higher.  That averages out to just over one per year, but that's very misleading.  Prior to today, it had not happened since 2012.  But during the 1980s, it happened in 3 consecutive years not once, but twice!

Summers don't feel as rough as they used to be, bur that probably has more to do with my lack of AC growing up.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Summers don't feel as rough as they used to be, bur that probably has more to do with my lack of AC growing up.

I suspect what trends would show, if one digs into the data, is that Summers today are more humind than in the past. I'm sure that's in part related to the ocean waters trending warmer and, in the Midwest specifically, winters trending snowier.

Although humid heat will have you dripping in a lot more sweat, it doesn't feel as blistering on the skin as that arid heat does in places like Phoenix.

LOT raised forecast lows to 82 at ORD and 84 at MDW.
Whatever the low is tonight, the question will be can it hold through all of Wednesday?

With the cold front, t’storms and outflow to worry about…It’s likely to be a very difficult task to accomplish.

2 hours ago, bowtie` said:

Best KIND could do was 93/74/103. There was a 76 dewpoint earlier in the morning, but the temps then were still in the upper 80's. Still felt like you walked into a thick wall when you stepped outside.

I'm in Indy and yah was wondering why it didn't get much hotter. I swear its just weird here sometimes. Still July 20, 2011 was most intense heat humidity combo I've seen and remembered. It was like 98 at one point with 79 dew point 

Thursday could be sort of a mini-example of what I was talking about with overperforming warmth on more of a westerly/wsw flow.  Current forecast is 91 at ORD, but it's a drier airmass with pretty good mixing so I could envision it verifying more like 93-94.  But in any case, low 90s with less mugginess is going to feel like relief compared to what we are having now, haha.

That band of pooled 76-80 dewpoints along the warm front has been rather stagnant.  There's been a real soup-zone wedged between the warm/stationary front to the NE and lake marine layer to the west.

14 21:53 SE 10 10.00 Fair CLR 84 78     82% NA 95 29.84 1009.9      
14 20:53 SE 10 10.00 A Few Clouds FEW045 86 78     77% NA 98 29.84 1010.0      
14 19:53 SE 13 10.00 Partly Cloudy FEW045 SCT250 88 78 90 83 73% NA 102 29.83 1009.6      
14 18:53 E 10 10.00 Partly Cloudy FEW040 SCT250 90 79     70% NA 106 29.84 1009.8      
14 17:53 E 12 10.00 Partly Cloudy FEW030 SCT250 90 79     70% NA 106 29.85 1010.2      
14 16:53 E 13 10.00 A Few Clouds FEW030 89 78     70% NA 103 29.87 1010.8      
14 15:53 E 12 10.00 A Few Clouds FEW030 88 77     70% NA 100 29.88 1011.2      
14 14:53 SE 10 10.00 A Few Clouds FEW030 86 76     72% NA 96 29.89 1011.4

Kind of looking forward to a toastier heat tomorrow honestly.  Just tired of getting soaking wet with perspiration every time I move outside.  It just makes me feel so gross.

I get the feeling whatever rain and storms try to move SE tomorrow evening will be shitting the bed right on my doorstep, but the outflow breeze SHOULD get here. 

ttd.gif

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

And it's in the upper 70s in Rochelle and Dekalb.  

What makes it even more impressive is that it's not being done with cloud assistance.  Obs show clear skies.  90 at midnight with clear skies.  Wow

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Not in our sub, but the parade of sups along I-80 in Nebraska is quite impressive.  Also a gigantic sup in western IA blowing out some very high winds this evening.  Looks like it's gonna rake a nice long stretch through central IA in the next few hours.

Some poor farmer is getting hit by like three or four severe thunderstorms in a row in the span of a couple hours. Not sure I've ever seen something like that before 

• Like 1