Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Was looking outside and thinking how today is a true Torchageddon special.  There is literally not a cloud in the sky.  Can't wait to get out later.

I had an enormous diurnal temp swing that surpassed the previous largest, low of 5.5C and a high of 27C. Funny you mention the lack of clouds, it was almost 100% blue skies except a ghost or two of a wisp which is something I honestly can't recall before in a very dry day like this. Usually its either nothing at all or some fluffs. It was great out there.

Overall it was a strange day since it got very breezy as the afternoon wore on and now its just plain windy as fall is, I'm getting gusts of 40 mph by estimate. Not many were outside by early evening. Going back down to 5C overnight with winds high?

17 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

I had an enormous diurnal temp swing that surpassed the previous largest, low of 5.5C and a high of 27C. Funny you mention the lack of clouds, it was almost 100% blue skies except a ghost or two of a wisp which is something I honestly can't recall before in a very dry day like this. Usually its either nothing at all or some fluffs. It was great out there.

Overall it was a strange day since it got very breezy as the afternoon wore on and now its just plain windy as fall is, I'm getting gusts of 40 mph by estimate. Not many were outside by early evening. Going back down to 5C overnight with winds high?

Winds will die quickly as soon as daytime mixing stops

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Was looking outside and thinking how today is a true Torchageddon special.  There is literally not a cloud in the sky.  Can't wait to get out later.

Resembles March and April weather in AZ. Crystal blue skies with warm but comfortable daytime temps and beautiful cooler evenings as temps drop in the dry air. If only we had 3-4 more months each year with these conditions.

Resembles March and April weather in AZ. Crystal blue skies with warm but comfortable daytime temps and beautiful cooler evenings as temps drop in the dry air. If only we had 3-4 more months each year with these conditions.

we can lock in and replace Dec-March with these conditions.
  • Like 1

This was a bit of a miss. Posted 3:15 PM Friday:

SATURDAY  
PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 70S. EAST WINDS 10 TO  
15 MPH.

more like cloudy with with spits of showers and temps in 60's. If I had outdoor plans I'd be a bit perturbed. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The 15% RH at ORD yesterday tied the record for lowest RH in June, set on 6/11/1988.  The drought was already underway by then in 1988, so it makes what happened yesterday a little more impressive imo.

The best KIND happened today, 82/34 and an RH of 17%.  Kind of hard on my guitars.

ORD has exactly average temps (0.0) through the first 5 days of June (edit:  actually will be a hair above avg as the high today occurred after the afternoon climate report came out).  Will probably dip below average over the next several days, but that would be very vulnerable to eventually getting wiped out if anything remotely close to what's signaled way out in the long range comes to fruition.

Madison is kind of on a "tongue" extending eastward from that large area of precip crawling out of Iowa. Been raining steadily for over an hour while many locations in southern Wisconsin have been dry so far today. Radarscope shows quite a bit of lightning approaching the I-380 corridor. @hawkeye_wx

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

1.48" of needed rain fell here overnight into this morning.  The soaking was widespread from my area westward into central Iowa.  It was mostly just a gentle moderate rain, but a couple tiny, bubbly cells produced the first lightning and thunder (only a few rumbles, but it counts) since April.

• Like 4

Prelim data in for May. On the warm side this year. Spring overall ended average. (added anom map for Spring)

Note: Prelim data is typically within 0.5K of the final average for the month. I'm expecting an uptick in current value after the other datasets report. It was very warm east of the Mississippi, but my coordinates take in some area to the west of that where it wasn't as warm. And my baseline is different than what anom maps are showing using 1991-2020.

May anom Midwest.gif

Spring anom Midwest.gif

Spring anom map.png