Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

30 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like a tremendous stretch of weather for the next 8+ days.  Mostly 70s with dews mostly in the 50s.  That stretch of mid 90s and 100+ heat indices back in early May was enough to satisfy my appetite for heat for quite awhile.

I haven't even turned on the A/C yet this year.  Need way more heat than that.

lol...

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI
1259 PM EDT Wed Jun 1 2022

MIC163-011715-
/O.CON.KDTX.SV.W.0012.000000T0000Z-220601T1715Z/
Wayne MI-
1259 PM EDT Wed Jun 1 2022

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 115 PM EDT
FOR NORTHEASTERN WAYNE COUNTY...

At 1258 PM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from near Grosse Pointe to 6 miles east of Belle Isle to 12
miles east of Grosse Ile, moving east at 45 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees.

These severe thunderstorms will remain over mainly rural areas of
northeastern Wayne County, including the following locations...
Northeast Detroit, Highland Park, Harper Woods, Grosse Pointe Shores,
Hamtramck, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe
Farms, Ferndale and Hazel Park.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

This is a DANGEROUS SITUATION. These storms are producing wind
damage across portions of downtown Detroit. SEEK SHELTER NOW inside
a sturdy structure and stay away from windows.

Continuous cloud to ground lightning is occurring with these storms.
Move indoors immediately. Lightning is one of nature`s leading
killers. Remember, if you can hear thunder, you are close enough to
be struck by lightning.

&&

LAT...LON 4243 8284 4236 8288 4234 8300 4233 8303
      4232 8305 4245 8318 4245 8287 4243 8288
TIME...MOT...LOC 1658Z 259DEG 38KT 4242 8296 4234 8286 4214 8290

HAIL THREAT...RADAR INDICATED
MAX HAIL SIZE...<.75 IN
WIND THREAT...RADAR INDICATED
MAX WIND GUST...60 MPH

$$

IRL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

A nice looking severe MCS seems to be pushing into Detroit right now.

Can't say I'm not jealous.

The radar showed the little complex really bowing out as it moved through the city 

There's even a storm report of metal roofing blowing off one of the high rises downtown.

1645 UNK 5 SE DETROIT WAYNE MI 4233 8305 SECTION OF METAL ROOFING BLOWN OFF AT THE 150 WEST JEFFERSON BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN DETROIT. (DTX)
1652 58 2 S GROSSE POINTE LCZ460 MI 4236 8291 MEASURED AT PECHE ISLAND LIGHT. (DTX)
1657 68 4 NNE GROSSE POINTE LCZ460 MI 4243 8287 MEASURED AT GROSSE POINTE YACHT CLUB. (DTX)

Really pleasant weather on tap for the next few days. Seasonably cool, but nice. Possibly shower/stm in the mix, but not much. After 5+" of rain here in town last month, a little break from the rain will be nice. Last year was pretty warm, not this time around.

59 minutes ago, Maxim said:

is TWC wishcasting for warmth? The second half would need to be very hot for this to pan out.

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/just-in-a-look-at-the-temperature-forecast-for-june

Let's see what the anomalies are after the first 10 days or so.  There are signals for a flip to hot toward mid-month. 

Not saying there will be a repeat, but May flipped really hard after the first 8 days or so and most of the sub ended up like 2-4 degrees warmer than average.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Powerball said:

The radar showed the little complex really bowing out as it moved through the city 

There's even a storm report of metal roofing blowing off one of the high rises downtown.

1645 UNK 5 SE DETROIT WAYNE MI 4233 8305 SECTION OF METAL ROOFING BLOWN OFF AT THE 150 WEST JEFFERSON BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN DETROIT. (DTX)
1652 58 2 S GROSSE POINTE LCZ460 MI 4236 8291 MEASURED AT PECHE ISLAND LIGHT. (DTX)
1657 68 4 NNE GROSSE POINTE LCZ460 MI 4243 8287 MEASURED AT GROSSE POINTE YACHT CLUB. (DTX)

On 5/31/2022 at 2:47 PM, Torchageddon said:

I was just going to post that I had just that one afternoon a few weeks ago with many rumbles of thunder but no real t-storm for May here, I'm at 3-4 storms for 2022 with 1 occurring in both March and April. I'm curious if I can make it through this heat without a storm, crazy if I do.

The heat ended the lamest way possible, no storms! I had some short-lived showers. In the distance there were some rumbles. A May like we had and all those chances with not a single t-storm: phenomenal.

• Sad 2

Looked like a crap day but was waiting for the supposed clearing, found that blue skies rapidly came and an insane increase in my temps that even exceeded those isolated warm days during mid-morning recently. Just in 40 mins I went from 14.8C to 19.5C!! My station showed a 1.7ºC jump from 3:05 pm to 3:10 pm - largest I've ever seen. If I'd known that was coming I would've stood outside and pretended I was in Rapid City.

I also had an extreme temp overnight yesterday where I was at 23C at 3:20 am (low of 21C), get those 4 times each summer, and this morning's low was 6C which I didn't appreciate. Had to dress like it was early-Spring.