Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

24 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Well this front was another fail.   0.22" is not enough to do anything for the water table.  I am lucky that I got a localized .55" shower last week.  

22 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

0.26":P

Pouring here in PWM

.48" here.  High of 88.8° yesterday, tops for the year so far.

It rained hard this morning.

Found a clean 1.00" in the Stratus.  Garden got a well deserved drink.

We were right on the line... Chittenden County and west of Mansfield got dumped on.  Most of that county is 1.00-2.00" water from that line of storms.  Even BTV proper had 1.20".

Untitled.jpg.0c75c8a2c6f6129a7f4a1b2101f72db9.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mreaves said:

So, this will be controversial but Fenway pretty much sucks, unless you have the best seats.  I was sitting down the first baseline about 20 rows up just past the dugout once and I realized that the way the seat was facing made me constantly keep my head turned to the left to see any pitching and most base running.  Add to the fact that those old seats are back and ass breakers, it's just not a great fan experience a lot of the time.  Heaven help you if you are tucked underneath the other seats during hot, humid weather, it's like a smelly sauna.  I appreciate the history and significance of Fenway but there are better paces to watch a game.

Check out Polar Park for the WooSox.  Great stadium

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Anyone know when GYX is supposed to come back up? Looks like it's been down for over 2 days

I noticed it was down this morning when I looked at Radarscope.  There is a disclaimer that said Offline.  Then it said GYX 88D will be down until at least 10am Monday when a part arrives.  That was posted on June 25th 345pm.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

So, this will be controversial but Fenway pretty much sucks, unless you have the best seats.  I was sitting down the first baseline about 20 rows up just past the dugout once and I realized that the way the seat was facing made me constantly keep my head turned to the left to see any pitching and most base running.  Add to the fact that those old seats are back and ass breakers, it's just not a great fan experience a lot of the time.  Heaven help you if you are tucked underneath the other seats during hot, humid weather, it's like a smelly sauna.  I appreciate the history and significance of Fenway but there are better paces to watch a game.

Agree. It's an awful experience.  Fenway should have been replaced 15 years ago. Keep it as an historical site if possible but it long ago ceased to be a good place to watch a game. 

..as for hot humid weather you are correct....it is awful...worse was a game I attended when Derek Botelho made his major league pitching debut for the royals...I think it was in 82 or 83....temp was near 100.  Saw a few people faint.....it was impossible to focus on the game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Still amazes me how many treat Fenway like it’s some kind of ridiculous sacred shrine. Dan Shaughnessy once called it “a lyrical bandbox” What a load of baloney. Build a newer/modern/more comfortable facility already. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Still amazes me how many treat Fenway like it’s some kind of ridiculous sacred shrine. Dan Shaughnessy once called it “a lyrical bandbox” What a load of baloney. Build a newer/modern/more comfortable facility already. 

Yeah, or sit at home and watch it on a 60-inch high-def flat screen from the comfort of your own couch, a grill and your own bathrooms… people wonder why ticket sales go down.  Back in the day you had to go to the park to watch the game, now its a better experience in your living room, ha.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Not controversial to me at all. 
Back in the 90's the brother of my then fiancé...then wife...now ex-wife played in the majors. This gave us the perk of having pretty nice seats behind homeplate at whichever park he was playing in.  At Fenway those seats were slightly better than the 1st and 3rd  baseline seats, and much better than the outfield bleacher seats.  

Once he stopped playing ball, I was forced to sit with the rest of the common folk. Knees jammed into the seatback in front of me I watched Pedro pitch against the Mets and my view of Martinez was literally blocked by a steel column.  During that same game my mom had beer spilled down her back by a rather large dude who could not fit in the seat behind her. Juggling the beer and the box of hotdogs, gravity won over the beer. 

I have sat in different locations all around that park and the scene was pretty much the same.  The sight lines are decent for all, mainly because everything is so compact in a park that was built for smaller people in 1912. 

50 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Agree. It's an awful experience.  Fenway should have been replaced 15 years ago. Keep it as an historical site if possible but it long ago ceased to be a good place to watch a game. 

..as for hot humid weather you are correct....it is awful...worse was a game I attended when Derek Botelho made his major league pitching debut for the royals...I think it was in 82 or 83....temp was near 100.  Saw a few people faint.....it was impossible to focus on the game. 

There was a push for a new stadium back in the late 90's. A pretty cool model was built and the thing looked awesome.  It would have taken out most of what was then, not well utilized storage and other buildings around the park, with the original field kept in place as a park adjacent to the new park.  Much of the Fenway neighborhood seemed to be against this if I recall.  The whole NIMBY contingent.  It's ironic because since then the area around Fenway has been building up, and becoming pleasantly modern.  

32 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

lol. Never heard that expression, but it sounds like one of those terms that keeps baseball stuck in the 1940's and 50's.  ...Like referring to the manager as the "skipper' of the team, and having super old sounding, or just real old guys commentating the game on the radio. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

That was John Updike in “Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu” in the New Yorker.  Great essay

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Not controversial to me at all. 
Back in the 90's the brother of my then fiancé...then wife...now ex-wife played in the majors. This gave us the perk of having pretty nice seats behind homeplate at whichever park he was playing in.  At Fenway those seats were slightly better than the 1st and 3rd  baseline seats, and much better than the outfield bleacher seats.  

Once he stopped playing ball, I was forced to sit with the rest of the common folk. Knees jammed into the seatback in front of me I watched Pedro pitch against the Mets and my view of Martinez was literally blocked by a steel column.  During that same game my mom had beer spilled down her back by a rather large dude who could not fit in the seat behind her. Juggling the beer and the box of hotdogs, gravity won over the beer. 

I have sat in different locations all around that park and the scene was pretty much the same.  The sight lines are decent for all, mainly because everything is so compact in a park that was built for smaller people in 1912. 

There was a push for a new stadium back in the late 90's. A pretty cool model was built and the thing looked awesome.  It would have taken out most of what was then, not well utilized storage and other buildings around the park, with the original field kept in place as a park adjacent to the new park.  Much of the Fenway neighborhood seemed to be against this if I recall.  The whole NIMBY contingent.  It's ironic because since then the area around Fenway has been building up, and becoming pleasantly modern.  

lol. Never heard that expression, but it sounds like one of those terms that keeps baseball stuck in the 1940's and 50's.  ...Like referring to the manager as the "skipper' of the team, and having super old sounding, or just real old guys commentating the game on the radio. 

You may be the only fan to have not heard of that expression ..The phrase comes from the famed article by john updike..

Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu | The New Yorker

40 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, or sit at home and watch it on a 60-inch high-def flat screen from the comfort of your own couch, a grill and your own bathrooms… people wonder why ticket sales go down.  Back in the day you had to go to the park to watch the game, now its a better experience in your living room, ha.

100%

It’s cheaper, it’s easier, and often a better experience. I can swap between games and toss ones that are clunkers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

1 hour ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Ironically, FSG has done a tremendous job expanding and improving Anfield, Liverpool's home stadium, while keeping the historic nature.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Ironically, FSG has done a tremendous job expanding and improving Anfield, Liverpool's home stadium, while keeping the historic nature.  

I don’t necessarily remember the old Fenway, but wasn’t there a large remodel in the 2000s?  I thought they changed the seats, removed some poles, put the Monster Seats in and other changes.  Don’t know exactly, just thought I remembered some renovation in like 2000-2010 time frame?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

100%

It’s cheaper, it’s easier, and often a better experience. I can swap between games and toss ones that are clunkers. 

The thing is, I enjoy baseball in person so much more than on television.  I actually used to like going up to watch the Expos at Olympic Stadium.  Pay $7 CDN for the cheapest upper deck seats and just walk down to better seats.  The atmosphere was meh but it was comfortable enough and cheap.  I saw Pedro strike out 14 against the Tigers in the first season of interleague play.  It was a pitchers duel, Justin Thompson gave up 1 run on 5 hits, striking out 7.  Great game 

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

I don’t necessarily remember the old Fenway, but wasn’t there a large remodel in the 2000s?  I thought they changed the seats, removed some poles, put the Monster Seats in and other changes.  Don’t know exactly, just thought I remembered some renovation in like 2000-2010 time frame?

They did  and it has improved some but it still isn't very comfortable.

• Like 1

Just now, mreaves said:

The thing is, I enjoy baseball in person so much more than on television.  I actually used to like going up to watch the Expos at Olympic Stadium.  Pay $7 CDN for the cheapest upper deck seats and just walk down to better seats.  The atmosphere was meh but it was comfortable enough and cheap.  I saw Pedro strike out 14 against the Tigers in the first season of interleague play.  It was a pitchers duel, Justin Thompson gave up 1 run on 5 hits, striking out 7.  Great game 

Yeah I never lived up here when the Expos were around but always hoped Montreal would get a team for just that reason.  It’s only like 1.5 hours away, maybe a touch more.  Would be nice to see MLB there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mreaves said:

They did  and it has improved some but it still isn't very comfortable.

Agreed.  I only know the knew one and as a tall human, it’s not the best experience jamming knees against the seat in front of you, ha.

77/52 right now in the valley.  Beautiful day.

• Like 1