Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

38 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

And Grass is becoming something that people are beginning to look at and reconsider “is this something we need or should be doing”? Especially in the Southwest. 

Obviously grass is a necessity for some layouts like sports fields. 

I reckon Lake Mead is virtually Las Vegas’ only source of water. I have been warning people that there is reason to believe that the lake risks falling below the lowest intake valve within several years or again at another point in the future. If this happens, many locations would have no water, save for scattered groundwater sources.

Sod shan’t be a thing for peoples yards in Las Vegas. 

Funny. Have the people in my neighborhood kind of went that route. Have the houses don't have grass in the front yard. Rather they went for stones or mulch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Lawn obsession is definitely an American past time.  No other country or culture seems fascinated with it… 

“Lawns are the most grown crop in the U.S.—and they're not one that anyone can eat; their primary purpose is to make us look and feel good about ourselves.

The popularity of George Washington and Mount Vernon’s green grass helped the contagion of the idea of a lawn, as images of Mount Vernon were produced and distributed throughout the United States into the 18th- and 19th-centuries. This gave wealthy Americans something to copy and aspire to.”

D324AD60-9717-44F6-AB86-7ACAE465194C.thumb.jpeg.095ac3120cd31585b5ffb0d9833a35c8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Single species green grass is horrible for the ecology.  The healthy balance of the latter requires a bio-diversity in every direction, that which cannot be footed by grass, alone.  If there are gardens? They do much better if they are adjacent to this competition, which brings in pollinating insects - that's just one example in how the ecology requires diversity.  ...Duh.   But, in particular ...when neighborhoods are developed with bifurcating asphalt streets/divisions, where the abutting lands create a patchwork of exclusive, excessively maintained grass/lawn care .. you are thus contributing to an unhealthy natural setting and ecology.  This is making the 1980s "Stepford" lawn look increasingly outmoded.  

There is a reason why in progressive 'state of the art' regions, where awareness of this has led to cultivating low elevation pollinator flowering species, and is becoming practice.  And it's not just "weed" - it's choosing Japanese Iris, and alpine Delphinium sub-genres to grow with the grass, and allowing White Clover to integrate, along with grass.  That is a vastly, vastly healthier lawn ( as just an example). And by virtue of stunning flower displays, there's no aesthetic contest.

Those that don't know about this/that it is happening ... probably live in a cultural mindset that is older, but are unfortunately on the wrong ( and getting wronger ) side of history.

I know there is a lawn thread, but since it’s being discussed here, I’ve been gradually reseeding my lawn with a mix of mini clover and drought resistant grass seed made of mostly tall fescue and perennial rye grass and been pleased. For reference:

https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/clover-seed/miniclover.html

https://www.scotts.com/en-us/products/grass-seed/scotts-turf-builder-grass-seed-tall-fescue-mix

I work two jobs and don’t have time or money to water or fertilize on a schedule, so mowing and trimming is the most amount of effort I can put in. Other than the few weeks where the clover is flowering the lawn looks decent even in the warmer months. I cut on the higher side in July and August and it helps prevent the crab grass and other weeds from establishing themselves. YMMV…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Hmmm we shall see . Good post .

Long range is for sure suspect to change but we roll with the current data.  Can’t be stubborn in meteorology (no one likes that), and need to adjust expectations as new modeling comes in.  It could go torch, but so far that persistent low height feature over the maritimes and adjacent NE North America seems hard to argue with.  Enjoy the heaters when they come?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Euro EPS 10-14 day mean also seems to indicate ridging central, troughing northeast.

We'll see, hopefully some warmth can sneak in from time to time like this weekend.  But persistence seems to favor the NE/Maritime trough.

eps_T850aMean_us_10.thumb.png.e4b0bb7137eb3f9c8098605f4d296614.png

Enough with the charts. It's been a full-fledged inferno since April.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Enough with the charts. It's been a full-fledged inferno since April.

Ha, it was solidly above normal at the absolute best time of year.  Above normal, during the climo period when snow becomes absolutely off-the-table but not before summer heat, is great.  Best type of weather in that period. Highs in the 70s are the desired, but boring outcome here.

Apparently MVL hit 71F today, never came close at the mountain though.  Another day found it’s way into that 70-79F zone in the valley.  The warm season happy zone without needing AC or heat.  Comfortable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

NNEs turn. Wind damage and power outages as these trees die. But also saw a lot of very thin trees in RI Tuesday from winter moth damage. Moth crap everywhere 

Gypsies name was officially changed to the Sponge moths by the scientific community this past year. NW CT was crushed this spring. I was in Colebrook and Canaan and Norfolk. Heavy heavy tree damage with near leafless hillsides . Wish we lived there . 

• Like 1