Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well folks that that have weeds as their lawn and don’t fertilize, seed etc don’t care . Folks that take care of and appreciate how lawns are meant to be green and weed free do not like droughts such that we are currently in. This should start to get very serious this summer 

what's the point of really nice lawns if children will grow extra toes when they play on it?

I don't do pesticides and it still looks pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I can tell a lot about a person based on their lawn.

Well you would have loved a former neighbor. He worked for hours on his lawn every day. He had a golf course caliber lawn...looked beautiful....just one thing though  he was a nutjob...he would go around the neighborhood asking for money, had other odd habits ...outside of that you would have loved him lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

My credit score would violently disagree about it being bad to have credit card balances...

It highly depends on how much of your limit you're using/ If you have a $5,000 limit but carrying a $3,000 balance...that's going to hurt you vs. carrying like a $300 balance. 

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I haven't carried a balance in decades...no need to...

I think once you have a credit history built up it isn't as detrimental to carry some credit card debt. I was able to get myself out of $6K in credit card debt last year...took a while but once I got it way down my credit score shot up like crazy...got it close to 800 at one point. But I'm back in $5K lol...mostly b/c there was a huge debacle with insurance when I got 5 teeth extracted in May so I had to pay the $3,000 out-of-pocket. But hopefully I'll get some of that covered and I can put the reimbursement towards the debt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think once you have a credit history built up it isn't as detrimental to carry some credit card debt. I was able to get myself out of $6K in credit card debt last year...took a while but once I got it way down my credit score shot up like crazy...got it close to 800 at one point. But I'm back in $5K lol...mostly b/c there was a huge debacle with insurance when I got 5 teeth extracted in May so I had to pay the $3,000 out-of-pocket. But hopefully I'll get some of that covered and I can put the reimbursement towards the debt.

Haven't I told you to not contribute to the Jacobs fund??

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

credit line is more important I guess. I have a ton of 0 balance credit cards with a credit score over 800

I’ve always wondered if it’s a myth to carry a balance because we have high limits and good credit scores and never carry balances.

Edit: Looks like it’s a myth per CreditKarma.

What is a good credit card balance?

It’s a common myth that carrying a balance on your credit card will help you build credit because card issuers earn money on your interest payments. But there’s no connection between your credit scores and how much interest credit card issuers earn from you. Your credit scores are typically determined by other factors, such as your record of on-time payments and credit utilization.

The reality is that carrying a balance could actually hurt your credit scores.

Is it ok to carry a credit card balance?

In general, it’s probably best not to carry a credit card balance. But sometimes you might find it impossible to pay your entire balance on time. In that situation, you’ll want to pay attention to how much you’re spending compared with your credit limit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well folks that that have weeds as their lawn and don’t fertilize, seed etc don’t care . Folks that take care of and appreciate how lawns are meant to be green and weed free do not like droughts such that we are currently in. This should start to get very serious this summer 

A yardscape that can’t handle a little below normal precip isn’t a natural one. Nature does just fine in forests and meadows with a BN stretch. Thoughts and prayers for your grass blades though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

A yardscape that can’t handle a little below normal precip isn’t a natural one. Nature does just fine in forests and meadows with a BN stretch. Thoughts and prayers for your grass blades though. 

Artificial but Stepford Wife approved, that's all that really matters, what will the neighbors think if every blade is not pure Kentucky bluegrass. 

• Like 1

Single species green grass is horrible for the ecology.  The healthy balance of the latter requires a bio-diversity in every direction, that which cannot be footed by grass, alone.  If there are gardens? They do much better if they are adjacent to this competition, which brings in pollinating insects - that's just one example in how the ecology requires diversity.  ...Duh.   But, in particular ...when neighborhoods are developed with bifurcating asphalt streets/divisions, where the abutting lands create a patchwork of exclusive, excessively maintained grass/lawn care .. you are thus contributing to an unhealthy natural setting and ecology.  This is making the 1980s "Stepford" lawn look increasingly outmoded.  

There is a reason why in progressive 'state of the art' regions, where awareness of this has led to cultivating low elevation pollinator flowering species, and is becoming practice.  And it's not just "weed" - it's choosing Japanese Iris, and alpine Delphinium sub-genres to grow with the grass, and allowing White Clover to integrate, along with grass.  That is a vastly, vastly healthier lawn ( as just an example). And by virtue of stunning flower displays, there's no aesthetic contest.

Those that don't know about this/that it is happening ... probably live in a cultural mindset that is older, but are unfortunately on the wrong ( and getting wronger ) side of history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Me too just mow the grass and rake it. Whatever happens water wise happens. Only garden I water is vegetables. Plenty of water for natural vegetation.

And Grass is becoming something that people are beginning to look at and reconsider “is this something we need or should be doing”? Especially in the Southwest. 

Obviously grass is a necessity for some layouts like sports fields. 

I reckon Lake Mead is virtually Las Vegas’ only source of water. I have been warning people that there is reason to believe that the lake risks falling below the lowest intake valve within several years or again at another point in the future. If this happens, many locations would have no water, save for scattered groundwater sources.

Sod shan’t be a thing for peoples yards in Las Vegas. 

Scattered air mass crispies tomorrow and garden variety showers with a crackle or two ...

91/61 type heat Saturday

94/62 Sunday ...heh, that's getting up there actually.

Reset to climo Monday by way thunder/front,  but nothing annoying after.   Heat may return late...

• Like 1

Lawn obsession is definitely an American past time.  No other country or culture seems fascinated with it… 

“Lawns are the most grown crop in the U.S.—and they're not one that anyone can eat; their primary purpose is to make us look and feel good about ourselves.

The popularity of George Washington and Mount Vernon’s green grass helped the contagion of the idea of a lawn, as images of Mount Vernon were produced and distributed throughout the United States into the 18th- and 19th-centuries. This gave wealthy Americans something to copy and aspire to.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2