Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

WTTTE but they just point and click . They’ll see

Your credibility in telling folks what “they’ll see” needs a bit of rebuilding after the past week. Brand image consultants would suggest citing and showing some model data from time to time to build back trust.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, tamarack said:

Had 47 at 7 AM and it's down a couple degrees from that, with lgt rain and stiff breeze.  High was 50 last evening.  Christmas 2020 temps were 54/43, so I think today will finish a degree cooler than that.

Yesterday's 50/44 was 1.5° cooler than 12/25/20.  The 24 hours ending at 7 this morning had a high of 47 and low at 40.  That would've been 5° below Christmas 2020.  Yesterday's 0.25" RA and gusts 25+ added to the cheer.  AFD from GYX hinted at possible frost for northern valleys in its CWA.  CAR has a frost advisory for the NW part of the state.  On the shortest night of the year!

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yesterday's 50/44 was 1.5° cooler than 12/25/20.  The 24 hours ending at 7 this morning had a high of 47 and low at 40.  That would've been 5° below Christmas 2020.  Yesterday's 0.25" RA and gusts 25+ added to the cheer.  AFD from GYX hinted at possible frost for northern valleys in its CWA.  CAR has a frost advisory for the NW part of the state.  On the shortest night of the year!

Caribou Christmas morning 2022

Aha Aina Royal Hawaiian Luau - Waikiki Oceanfront Luau Dinner Show tours,  activities, fun things to do in Oahu(Hawaii)|VELTRA

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

yep. I'll take it all summer, although a few 80F days would be nice. I need to check, but think we've only hit 80 a couple times so far.

We reached 80+ during May 4 times, including 90° on the 14th, but only the 81 on the 12th has been above 78 so far this month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Maybe this is shaping up to be like July 1995 where we get into July and the heat/humidity pour in here all the while we remain on the NW periphery of the upper ridge and get a woods destroying derecho to blow through with no trees left standing and all buildings roof-less. 

Gotta give the GFS model some credit .. It's been dismantling heat in the east since early May.  It may first see it way out there in lala time ranges, but then sends us charts that block heat from ever getting here, and that's what been happening.  It may not show up in the the various model scoring metrics, but... just by 'appeal' it's done pretty fantastic to ruin summer at D10 and nail it. LOL

But here's the thing ... so far, it appears to be more in the look of the pattern, rather than what's verified at the thermometer houses... All climate sites hosted by NWS in the SNE regions are running +1 .. +2 so far for June, despite both that GFS' efforts to cancel summer, and the last two days of whatever freak show that was.. (personally I think it was the seasonal lag phenomenon that has flurried in Mays, just doing it for the first time, so late in June...).

Currently it is 72 here...up 20 since the 5:40 am low, and ahead of MOS (MET) by a couple, per hr.  Maxes are 75 to 77 across the areas. And that June sun rages on unabated.  We'll see, but I suspect we're gonna bust by one or two - not a lot, no, but typical result for machining on days like this in summer.  It seems there are two aspects going on ..perhaps independently of one another.  One, the GFS is doing a remarkable job at extended leads of canceling summer ... meanwhile, the dailies are exceeding climatology by modest amounts.  Interesting...

I kind of wonder if the ladder is just the climate change signal but no... +1 .. +2 is way, way too much...Otherwise, we'll be 120 by 2050.  

The 00z GFS and the 06z GFS are nothing alike for the 4th of July.  The former version is 92-like with typical summer DPs with nostalgic towers.  The 06z version is almost as bad as last year.  Even though the whole of it is still 300+ hours out in space and time ... based on the seasonal propensity to slope away from heat... I wonder if that gives the dogshit end of the spectrum a little more weight just the same. 

As for the summer as a whole..  I'm interested in seeing how the next 10 days emerge the pattern in the models.  The majority of time span since May 1 has had the PNA neutral to at times very positive.  It's not a bad look to have verified heat shunting south. It fits..  But, despite the operational current themes .. the index is clearly and concertedly going negative for the first time, ... the integral looks massive too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Gotta give the GFS model some credit .. It's been dismantling heat in the east since early May.  It may first see it way out there in lala time ranges, but then sends us charts that block heat from ever getting here, and that's what been happening.  It may not show up in the the various model scoring metrics, but... just by 'appeal' it's done pretty fantastic to ruin summer at D10 and nail it. LOL

But here's the thing ... so far, it appears to be more in the look of the pattern, rather than what's verified at the thermometer houses... All climate sites hosted by NWS in the SNE regions are running +1 .. +2 so far for June, despite both that GFS' efforts to cancel summer, and the last two days of whatever freak show that was.. (personally I think it was the seasonal lag phenomenon that has flurried in Mays, just doing it for the first time, so late in June...).

Currently it is 72 here...up 20 since the 5:40 am low, and ahead of MOS (MET) by a couple, per hr.  Maxes are 75 to 77 across the areas. And that June sun rages on unabated.  We'll see, but I suspect we're gonna bust by one or two - not a lot, no, but typical result for machining on days like this in summer.  It seems there are two aspects going on ..perhaps independently of one another.  One, the GFS is doing a remarkable job at extended leads of canceling summer ... meanwhile, the dailies are exceeding climatology by modest amounts.  Interesting...

I kind of wonder if the ladder is just the climate change signal but no... +1 .. +2 is way, way too much...Otherwise, we'll be 120 by 2050.  

The 00z GFS and the 06z GFS are nothing alike for the 4th of July.  The former version is 92-like with typical summer DPs with nostalgic towers.  The 06z version is almost as bad as last year.  Even though the whole of it is still 300+ hours out in space and time ... based on the seasonal propensity to slope away from heat... I wonder if that gives the dogshit end of the spectrum a little more weight just the same. 

As for the summer as a whole..  I'm interested in seeing how the next 10 days emerge in the pattern in the models.  The majority of time span since May 1 has had the PNA neutral to at times very positive.  It's not a bad look to have verified heat shunting south. It fits..  But, despite the operational current themes .. the index is clearly and concertedly going negative for the first time, ... the integral looks massive too. 

I agree...I think the GFS has done a pretty decent job overall, especially with the tossing out there of flags putting a halt on higher heat and humidity ever really getting into the region...at least on a consistent basis. 

I know we had a pretty good discussion going on last week regarding whether temperatures thus far (not just max's but min's) have been above-average or below-average. But you bring up a great point about how much the departure's have been from average. It just always seems we're somewhere in the +1 to +3 range no matter what. Even if we get a month which starts off below-average we're still ending up somewhere in that range. 

Given how strong of a CC signal we seem to be having, you have to wonder if perhaps 30-year averages is actually too long of a scale. Not say this should be abolished, but maybe there should be another data set created which has a smaller time-scale (like 15-years). we're obviously warming at a pretty sizable rate...and whether that is just the Earth going through a cycle, if human influences are driving it, or a mixture of both doesn't matter...the warming is happening. 

But I wonder if just looking at a smaller climo period would actually yield data or results which just may be more realistic or more representative of the current state. If we were to compare daily's now say to the past 15-years as opposed to the past 30...how would the data look? Quite certain these higher departures would be much closer to average...but all this does is really hide or dampen the truth of what is going on. 

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I wonder what the return time is for a storm like that in CT. Baseball hail is big time.

I believe that stood as the largest hail record in CT until 05/15/2018 (I think there was baseball hail in CT during that event). What's really bizarre is that storm occurred along a backdoor cold front. But there was an EML in place with some enhanced shear and enough llvl moisture present to get something to pop. It takes some serious updraft velocities to get hail that big. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I believe that stood as the largest hail record in CT until 05/15/2018 (I think there was baseball hail in CT during that event). What's really bizarre is that storm occurred along a backdoor cold front. But there was an EML in place with some enhanced shear and enough llvl moisture present to get something to pop. It takes some serious updraft velocities to get hail that big. 

Thanks. I hate that we wasted that EML a few weeks ago, but the heart of storm season is around the corner I guess.