Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

PLEASEEEEEEE

image.png.432344db37c6bfc9eb347dbe284eda54.png

It's a transition pattern, though.  Caveat emptor on that "zonality"

In a scalar sense, sure... I've seen the operationals and ens means; that's the gist of the blend. However, the various sources that cover/forecast the mass fields indicate a PNA that is going ↓ ...gathering more weight - so a trend to get more so too.

It appears to me the different operational run "extended" ( in quotes because it's nebular and not necessarily the same amounts among them in space and time ) ranges have been resisting that mode change.  The last EOFs provided numerical values that would sufficiently signal more ridging potential ( for a change ) east of 100 W than we are seeing.  

That's not intending to refute the flatter look, despite the subtext ... I mean sometimes the operational runs, ..particularly when they agree, can win over the telecon/ens mean.  But just means to be leery.  It matters re heat and convection trajectories is all...  The PNA is supposed to be losing (seasonal) correlative value but.. I don't find that assumption to be necessarily "AS" true as say 30 years ago.  

Little longer hypothesis   ...

My personal speculation is that as we continue to evolve through this CC era, that is related to why we've been observing unusually strong mid latitude/ mid troposphere geostrophic wind velocities ... lapsing over into springs later and later in recent decade(s).  I feel that CC is causal in that emerging aspect ... ( whole 'nother popsicle headache as to why, and this write is already stressing the attention of the reader in this on-setting zeitgeist of tweeting virtuosity ... heh, an entirely separate kind of climate evolution). 

Gaslighting parentheticals aside ... ( lol ), the logic goes like: faster wind -->  wave construction --> R-wave structures.  That maintaining coherence later and later,  means the telecons correlations mathematically have to persist.   So the ultra short version, the PNA ain't dead yet.

That said, I'm wondering if we may see the zonal start looking more ridgy over the eastern continental mid latitudes. 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's a transition pattern, though.  Caveat emptor on that "zonality"

In a scalar sense, sure... I've seen the operationals and ens means; that's the gist of the blend. However, the various sources that cover/forecast the mass fields indicate a PNA that is going ↓ ...gathering more weight - so a trend to get more so too.

It appears to me the different operational run "extended" ( in quotes because it's nebular and not necessarily the same amounts among them in space and time ) ranges have been resisting that mode change.  The last EOFs provided numerical values that would sufficiently signal more ridging potential ( for a change ) east of 100 W than we are seeing.  

That's not intending to refute the flatter look, despite the subtext ... I mean sometimes the operational run win over the telecon/ens means derivatives.  But just means to be leery.  It matters re heat and convection trajectories is all...  The PNA is supposed to be losing (seasonal) correlative value but.. I don't find that assumption to be necessarily "AS" true as say 30 years ago.  

Little longer hypothesis   ...

My personal speculation is that as we continue to evolve through this CC era, that is related to why we've been observing unusually strong mid latitude/ mid troposphere geostrophic wind velocities ... lapsing over into springs later and later in recent decade(s).  I feel the CC causal in that emerging aspect ... ( whole 'nother popsicle headache as to why, and this write is already stressing the attention of the reader in this on-setting tweeting zeitgeist's virtuosity ... an entirely separate kind of climate evolution). 

Gaslighting parentheticals aside ... ( lol ), the logic goes like: faster wind -->  wave construction --> R-wave structures.  That maintaining coherence later and later,  means the telecons correlations mathematically have to persist.   So the ultra short version, the PNA ain't dead yet.

That said, I'm wondering if we may see the zonal start looking more ridgy over the eastern continental mid latitudes. 

The past several years have featured some anomalously early season riding and subsequently anomalously strong upper troughs within the CONUS and certainly with that you would expect a stronger jet stream. The prospects of CC would certainly be a player in this. 

Once we're able to break that pesky vortex the flood gates should open to get higher heat/humidity in here. This doesn't mean it will be prolonged, especially if the jet stream continues to be loaded with perturbations, but we'll get these bursts of heat/humidity in here. Once these heat ridges become established across the southern states they are very hard to break down. This circles back to the CC idea, but it seems the past several years these big heat ridges have become established earlier than usual across the southern states (whether this be the West, Southwest, or southern Plains) and with that we've seen much earlier periods of higher heat/humidity too. 

Even if we don't get the full flexing of the ridging here...that doesn't mean we won't see big heat/humidity. If anything, hopefully being on the crest of any ridging would yield some convectively active periods. 

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Never gonna happen but still :lol: for the date.

73E6F0BE-D4BD-4722-A8A8-5AD5B15D27E2.thumb.png.13cf734e2606fc7311c82a72c7e883c0.png

You know... in the myriad of internal voices that combine to create the total din of internal thoughts this morning ...  this occurred to me.

The "Year without a summer" - 1816.   Tambora had ignited such wonderful displays of sunset skies during the presaging times since that volcanic throat tried to pop the top of the atmosphere and send a geo-belch into near orbit... In a symbolic way, those splendorous distractions were like nature's "red light" to stop and take notice - not merely art.

So the consequences set in ... and in that year without a summer, annuls that pertain to New England: 'frost was observed in every month' - I mean check that, but I'm preeety sure I read that took place. 

But what came to mind was that when we discuss climate change, we are really only discussing decimals over the course of a 30 years.  Well, perhaps whole degree(s) at local climate scales - but over the global integral..etc.   So, the 1816 summer failure took place in world where the temperature declined by all of 0.4-0.7 °C (0.7-1 °F).  Which doesn't seem like that much - right?  

But that little amount meant frost ( and probably 3,500' elevation snow if any civility were present up there, in that era).  

So what I am getting at, even though ( and no doubt!)  the next IPCC report will continue to doom humanity, as well... , NASA will report June as number 2 or 3 all-time hottest Junes since our species could give a shit) it doesn't thus intuitively 'seem' like we are so far gone up the scale that we can't f'up a summer in New England.  Jesus christ.. .

Frankly, I have never seen a weather pattern behavior so tediously petty in creating cold inserts reasons, specifically targeting Logan airport, such as I have seen happen in the last 5 years... And of course the surrounding region going down with it's like collateral bonus damage.   We just cannot seem to "be allowed" to experience what the world has been - meanwhile, we have to capitulate based on the overwhelming impact of nocturnal anomalies... ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Nobody wants swamp ass

This is beautiful weather 

What is ?   Today, tomorrow ...or Sunday -

You have three disparate sensible types rolling through.  

I guess it almost seem useless to the point of nihilism to even expound up either, when neither can persist around here long enough to matter.

5 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Definitely some bust potential with the weekend forecast.  12z Gfs is chilly for many on Saturday temps drop to 40s and 50s Saturday afternoon and evening. Only 45-50 for highs Sunday out East! 

D62A87C1-D8A8-45C9-85AF-4A5A4785D8DB.png

FA7402EA-E2D5-4937-A974-E972B9DD55F8.png

GFS backing west. Probably not done.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like heat comes in late month, but again after more lower heights relatively speaking. Still don’t see a prolonged heat signal.

I wonder at times if that adjective ever applies around here...  But I guess if we mean prolonged relative to our climate?  Sure - 2 days instead of 10 minutes... we don't see that either.

GFS is also - as an aside ..- relentless in its pursuit to limit heat here to one day.  It'll sometimes balloon a non hydrostatic ridge that's truly awesome, ...go look at the surface evolution, it's 12 hour of heat and it has a big sfc high wedging in the back end, while holding back warm fronts forever in the front. 

It may not be right - per se.... But, since we get f'ed out of heat anyway apparently at least excuse imagined, the model's technological evolution is at least heading in the right direction  :arrowhead:

• Like 1