Newest Member
    joxey
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Low 49.3°

4” soil: 62°   8” soil: 64°

Not preferred 

I know I’m slightly warmer than you but that helps explain why my vegetables are all behind vs previous few years despite the copious rainfall. I should start taking soil temps. Doesn’t help that the vegetables I like, and already planted outside all prefer the warmest conditions—tomatoes, squash, cucumber, peppers, and I have eggplant starting inside.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s one just sitting in my front lawn now. Usually the coyotes get them . I see a ton of them in Falmouth each year , but not here 

Warm morning at 61. Sweaty 

I have lots of them. They eat everything. Plenty of coyotes here too. I guess last week they killed a dog on my street. :( 

34 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I know I’m slightly warmer than you but that helps explain why my vegetables are all behind vs previous few years despite the copious rainfall. I should start taking soil temps. Doesn’t help that the vegetables I like, and already planted outside all prefer the warmest conditions—tomatoes, squash, cucumber, peppers, and I have eggplant starting inside.

It’s tough for me to compare to previous years because I switched my soil temps up last summer. I used to keep one at 6”, but now I have them at 4” and 8”. But 6” usually is the average of the 2 since 4” fluctuates with sfc heating and cooling and it works its way downward to 8”. 

edit: Just peeked at last year. The 1st 10 days of June torched and 6" got into the low 70s. Then during the cool down mid month it was around 65F. Late month we had a heat wave and it warmed back up to 70-75F. Honestly we're not much lower right now versus previous years and 2018 was actually consistently a couple degrees cooler in early June.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Clouds kept it milder but man models looks like shit next weekend. 

next weekend? how about we enjoy this one before we go shitting on the next?

with all due respect, you are starting to sound like mpm/eeyore

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

next weekend? how about we enjoy this one before we go shitting on the next?

with all due respect, you are starting to sound like mpm/eeyore

I think he just got back from FL so he’s probably working this weekend. :scooter:

• Haha 1

I wonder if anyone's ever speculated and thought to create a kind of index for critical hours shading.  Call it the "CLOUD" index, "Crucial Latitude Obstruction Under Daylight"

For gardeners, most of whom need open spaces that are unabated to the sun ... suppose it were "bad luck" cloudier  between 10am and 2pm .. .even partly cloudier - doesn't even have to be completely overcast; just enough to put the Earth on a radiation diet.  Yet, partly cloud may go unnoticed as even very factorable?   But then cumulatively, over a few weeks of that kind of insidious attempt by nature to f-up growing season without getting caught ( muah hahaha), the soil temperature is perhaps missing some amount of crucial kinetic charging -

I dunno.  Maybe the lows have been bottoming out more. Despite the last 20 years of elevated nocturnal temperatures notable all over the world and empirically measured, that suddenly stops only right here this last 6 weeks.  Lol

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I wonder if anyone's ever speculated and thought to create a kind of index for critical hour shading. 

For gardeners, most of whom need open spaces that are unabated to the sun ... suppose it were "bad luck" cloudier  between 10am and 2pm .. .even partly cloudier - doesn't even have to be completely overcast, yet partly cloud may go unnoticed as even very factorable?   But then cumulatively, over a few weeks of that kind of insidious attempt by nature to f-up growing season without getting caught ( muah hahaha), the soil temperature is perhaps missing some amount of crucial kinetic charging -

I dunno.  Maybe the lows have been bottoming out more. Despite the last 20 years of elevated nocturnal temperatures notable all over the world and empirically measured, that suddenly stops only right here this last 6 weeks.  Lol

I get a handful of days every spring where we hold the fog and overcast until 12-2pm and then we break out into sun and still end up realizing 80-90% of our potential high temp. However the tall trees to my west start shading my fruit trees around 2-3pm so they end up with a high of 80° and only an hour or two of direct sunlight. Also my soil tends to retain moisture so that reduces the temperature ranges of the subsurface. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

It’s tough for me to compare to previous years because I switched my soil temps up last summer. I used to keep one at 6”, but now I have them at 4” and 8”. But 6” usually is the average of the 2 since 4” fluctuates with sfc heating and cooling and it works its way downward to 8”. 

edit: Just peeked at last year. The 1st 10 days of June torched and 6" got into the low 70s. Then during the cool down mid month it was around 65F. Late month we had a heat wave and it warmed back up to 70-75F. Honestly we're not much lower right now versus previous years and 2018 was actually consistently a couple degrees cooler in early June.

That’s what I’m noticing. My tomatoes and peppers exploded in June. I believe late May was also much warmer. Granted it came with a lot more watering. 

I feel like they’re 60% - 75% growth of last year ytd.

46 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I get a handful of days every spring where we hold the fog and overcast until 12-2pm and then we break out into sun and still end up realizing 80-90% of our potential high temp. However the tall trees to my west start shading my fruit trees around 2-3pm so they end up with a high of 80° and only an hour or two of direct sunlight. Also my soil tends to retain moisture so that reduces the temperature ranges of the subsurface. 

Yeah... one can have circumstances in their particular layout. 

I tried my hand at gardening my first couple of years living at this residence.  Circumstantially, my house blocked direct sun entirely until about 9am, so it was just doable at that end of the day.  But the ~200 -year old Maple I lovingly refer to as "General Sherman," looms at the western edge of the property line with it's truly massive, dense broad leaf canopy.  Those first three or so years ... by 2:15 ... its shade edge was half-way across the garden spacing.  By 3, the garden had disappeared entirely under the total deciduous eclipse... It was like peering into an "outdoor closet"  It would actually feel notably cooler walking into the garden at 3pm. RH off the massive tree and Earth ...and micro-micro meteorology effects.   But I had those 10-2 hours though... and put out some amazing plant and fruit grown.  But then there was a shift..  I noticed the shade edge was by then moving across the garden closer to 1:45... two years later, 1:30... something like this.  Production dropped.  

Heh... I wasn't going to start deforestation on a 200+ year old thriving relic over tomatoes and herbs. That'd be like taking a trophy claw off a 70-year old lobster, then throwing it back into the ocean out of 'respect'.  

So it doesn't have to be a cloud index issue either.   I dunno, maybe this is normal soil temp and we've just spent a lot of years with above normal.

2 hours ago, jbenedet said:

The lows this month are stunting my tomato and pepper plants, the snow peas and producing like crazy....too many 40s and low 50s at night. 

On the other hand, what fantastic weather it has been.

Screenshot_20220611-110935_Chrome.jpg

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is the summer equivalent of early December when everyone wants it to be deep winter but normal max temps are like still in the 40s.

July and August are the January and February go-times.

546 thickness. Congrats picnic tables