Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

We've been finding them not close to any windows. 

Animal Control mentioned the Avian flu...they also mentioned it's possible someone could be poisoning them. They directed me to Department of Agriculture so I left a message to call back. I guess depending on what we explain to them they may decide to send someone out and test the bird. 

Are they predatory birds or just regular sparrows? Sometimes poisoned mice end up poisoning carnivorous raptors further up the food chain.

41 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Has anyone been noticing dead birds in their yards recently? I know there was the issue last year with birds, but I just found another dead bird in my girlfriend's yard and this is the 6th or 7th dead bird over the past 6 weeks. They have been a mixture of babies and non-babies and some have even been missing heads. Not sure if some animal is getting them or not but it's a bit concerning. My girlfriend said she noticed 3 last year too. She does have a dog but we know it's not the dog b/c we watch him outside. I just called animal control and left a message. 

13 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Could be. Question: does your gf have large windows at her house? I've known birds to kill themselves by running into the glass, and on one occasion even lost its head.

Isn’t that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Has anyone been noticing dead birds in their yards recently? I know there was the issue last year with birds, but I just found another dead bird in my girlfriend's yard and this is the 6th or 7th dead bird over the past 6 weeks. They have been a mixture of babies and non-babies and some have even been missing heads. Not sure if some animal is getting them or not but it's a bit concerning. My girlfriend said she noticed 3 last year too. She does have a dog but we know it's not the dog b/c we watch him outside. I just called animal control and left a message. 

Probably cats

14 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Are they predatory birds or just regular sparrows? Sometimes poisoned mice end up poisoning carnivorous raptors further up the food chain.

They are regular sparrows. 

10 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Probably cats

Don't think it's cats. Don't see any cats roaming around. One thought is there is a nest which isn't terribly high up off the ground (7-8 feet at most) and some animal is getting into the nest. But the dead birds for the most part have been well away from the nest. 

Looks like the line with the cold front goes through Providence around 6 AM. May head to Providence around 3 AM and hopefully there will be some decent lightning in the line as it nears Providence by then but idk. Elevated CAPE doesn't look terrible and HREF thunderstorm probs are pretty decent. 

20 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

They are regular sparrows. 

Don't think it's cats. Don't see any cats roaming around. One thought is there is a nest which isn't terribly high up off the ground (7-8 feet at most) and some animal is getting into the nest. But the dead birds for the most part have been well away from the nest. 

Cats #1 Threat to Birds

Predation by domestic cats is the number-one direct, human-caused threat to birds in the United States and Canada. In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year.

15 minutes ago, kdxken said:
Cats #1 Threat to Birds

Predation by domestic cats is the number-one direct, human-caused threat to birds in the United States and Canada. In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year.

Maybe there's a killer cat prowling around. 

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Jalapeño… not sure I ever had a drink like that.  We just drown our rainy summers in IPAs :lol:.

Vacation looks awesome as it should be, enjoy dude.

Oh man, I've had some delicious jalapeño margaritas before. Never with watermelon, but the spice is nice.