• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Tracking Thread

WxWatcher007

Looks like 2 primary groups for future Hermine/Ian tracks in the GEFS. Quicker moving track cuts east across Florida and moves up the coast, but mostly offshore. Second group is slower and gets into the Gulf where it then moves onto the north Gulf shore and then maybe eventually impacts us like that Op.

35 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Looks like 2 primary groups for future Hermine/Ian tracks in the GEFS. Quicker moving track cuts east across Florida and moves up the coast, but mostly offshore. Second group is slower and gets into the Gulf where it then moves onto the north Gulf shore and then maybe eventually impacts us like that Op.

Never doubt an "I" storm. They've treated us well over the years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yea its a heartbreaking run. We smoke cirrus while New England cashes in.

Do people actually hope for a direct hurricane hit here?  I feel like the only people who would want that are city apartment dwellers or young people who have never experienced just how destructive and life changing 100mph winds and 10" of rain are (and bank account draining).  Noreasters are one thing but hurricanes are in another league.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Do people actually hope for a direct hurricane hit here?  I feel like the only people who would want that are city apartment dwellers or young people who have never experienced just how destructive and life changing 100mph winds and 10" of rain are (and bank account draining).  Noreasters are one thing but hurricanes are in another league.  

Another year - and another "ethical" argument. We don't control the weather - but if there must be exciting weather we will track it as any weather enthusiast would. 

I don't *hope* for a EF-5 tornado to hit my house - but dangit I'm going to track it with awe if it comes my way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Another year - and another "ethical" argument. We don't control the weather - but if there must be exciting weather we will track it as any weather enthusiast would. 

I don't *hope* for a EF-5 tornado to hit my house - but dangit I'm going to track it with awe if it comes my way. 

I call bullshit.  If an EF5 tornado hits your house you're going to be crying and hoping your wife and kids aren't killed and you're going to be crying and depressed when everything you valued in life was completely destroyed in 10 seconds.

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

I call bullshit.  If an EF5 tornado hits your house you're going to be crying and hoping your wife and kids aren't killed and you're going to be crying and depressed when everything you valued in life was completely destroyed in 10 seconds.

Not everyone can understand the dichotomy of a weather enthusiast. Both things can be true...Most if not all here don't want the bad things to happen you just mentioned. But if you are a weather enthusiast...you can't help but be fascinated by extreme weather. There's a certain way it captures the imagination: and if there's potential to witness it...No matter how much you don't want anybody to get hurt, part of ya is still fascinated regardless.

Now, you may not feel that dichotomy in your own weather enthusiasm, but others do.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:
Not everyone can understand the dichotomy of a weather emthusiast. Both things can be true...Most if not all here don't want the bad things to happen you just mentioned. But if you are a weather enthusiast...you can't help but be fascinated by extreme weather. There's a certain way it captures the imagination: and if there's potential to witness it...No matter how much you don't want anybody to get hurt, part of ya is still fascinated regardless.
Now, you may not feel that dichotomy in your own weather enthusiasm, but others do.

I don't disagree. I come from the Midwest where tornadoes destroy whole communities and we practice monthly tornado drills in elementary school. But don't tell me that when an EF5 is bearing down on your house you're gonna be tracking it via radarscope or something.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, IronTy said:

I think you missed the point of my post entirely. Which is fine - perhaps I was not clear enough. We are (I assume) weather enthusiasts. I know some folks here are here for just snow and that's all. But how interesting is it to track Sunny, 75 degree weather...if I'm being honest that's not being a "weather enthusiast"

I personally am fascinated by ALL weather (not just snow). Synoptic wind events, severe storms, snow storms, hurricanes, the works. 

I know I rarely say this (all in jest @Maestrobjwa) but this is a time when I totally think @Maestrobjwa hit the nail on the head. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IronTy said:

I don't disagree. I come from the Midwest where tornadoes destroy whole communities and we practice monthly tornado drills in elementary school. But sell me that when an EF5 is bearing down on your house you're gonna be tracking it via radarscope or something.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Actually I would 100% be doing this. For two reasons - to be real-time tracking the danger that is about to impact me (I enjoy elements of emergency management as well). I volunteer with MC Park Police here, interned in the past with MoCo Police and considered doing EM as my major at one point. The 2nd reason would be my interest in weather. 

I'd have Radarscope in my hand while my house was scraped off the face of the Earth. At that point, what can I do to prevent it? Nothing? If I've gotten my family to shelter and have tried my best to protect them - nature is going to be nature. Yes it can be tragic - but without people interested in the science and awe of it - forecasts wouldn't be improving. 

• Like 1