• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Observations 2022

yotaman

At 11 AM today at KSAV, the dewpoint had plunged to 34. It typically doesn't get lower than that in May (especially this late) there although it has done so earlier in the month per records:

Lowest KSAV May dewpoints back to 1951 I've been able to find (all were between 10 AM and 4 PM):

27 F 5/2/1963

29 F 5/4/1971

30 F 5/8/1989

30 F 5/1/2006

34 F 5/19/1976

34 F 5/10/2022

34 F 5/9/1967

34 F 5/8/1960

35 F 5/27/1961: this one is the most notable for being so late in the month

• Like 2

Despite the offshore low moving closer to land, there was an additional surge of drier air mid to late this afternoon coming in on steady N to NE winds flowing down E SC coast and into upper SE GA allowing for lower dewpoints into the evening even after the climo time for lowest dewpoints had passed. So, we enjoyed one more very comfy day by mid-May standards. What a nice week it has been to this point! Makes me look forward to October.

4 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Been quite dry here this month. Sitting at 0.24” over a third of the way through May

It has been dry down here, too. For me, this dryness has been the proverbial double edged sword. I've been absolutely loving the good number of days with low dewpoints this spring for comfortable outdoor activities in advance of the almost guaranteed long summer doldrums of heat and humidity. Late last evening was the latest opportunity taken advantage of with a walk in the mid to upper 60s and dewpoints near 50 resulting in no sweating. But on the negative side, soils are dry due to rainfall being only near 50% of normal since 12/1/21 (40% of normal this month) thus necessitating irrigation of the grass just to keep it in halfway decent shape. (Temperatures this meteorological spring have averaged a hair warmer than normal.)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GaWx said:

It has been dry down here, too. For me, this dryness has been the proverbial double edged sword. I've been absolutely loving the good number of days with low dewpoints this spring for comfortable outdoor activities in advance of the almost guaranteed long summer doldrums of heat and humidity. Late last evening was the latest opportunity taken advantage of with a walk in the mid to upper 60s and dewpoints near 50 resulting in no sweating. But on the negative side, soils are dry due to rainfall being only near 50% of normal since 12/1/21 (40% of normal this month) thus necessitating irrigation of the grass just to keep it in halfway decent shape. (Temperatures this meteorological spring have averaged a hair warmer than normal.)

And to add to this, looks like the long range has 90s here in the upstate.  That'll further dry up the ground, and I'm fearful that we might be looking at a dry, hot summer.  Hope I'm wrong..

• Sad 1

Well, this cool cloudy weather was great while it lasted. 5 solid days of 50's, 60's, and 1 day of low 70's were perfect and just what we needed. Looks like 80 tomorrow then climbing to the mid to upper 80's for the next 7 days. Hopefully we get some much-needed rain in the next few days. 

Low of 58, high of 72 yesterday. Had some heavy drizzle yesterday morning totaling .19".

Finally, lots of thunder and C to C but nary a drop of rain ... though I drove to the store a half mile away and water was standing everywhere ... almost rained IMBY so from that there's a bit of hope ... but don't want that crapola the 18Z GFS is trying to paint out of the Gulf ...

• Like 1

The highs in the area have been 95-96 (96 here), the hottest so far this year. Tomorrow should be similar followed by slightly cooler (88-90 highs) along with daily chances of rain.

The drought in this area has worsened since last week as expected with a larger area of D2. I continue to irrigate my lawns at night. Also, GA as a whole has worsened with increased drought coverage:

1530449561_GADroughtMonitor051722.thumb.png.05e617312b56ad59910cbcf191320f2f.png

Should be the hottest day of the year, for a while, although heating up slower than the NWS forecast. Could be a contender for earliest hottest day of the year even (although I'm sure we'll probably hit mid-upper 90s again at some point)

Also, it's kinda silly how when there's high cirrus clouds, it's just classified as overcast and the NWS page has an icon showing thick cloud cover.

Today was rather disappointing as there was no rain in this area despite the likelihood of rain. We're only near 0.30" for May to date and quite dry since mid November with a severe drought. But we still have good chances over the next few days.

We've been getting thunder/lightning, something I can't even recall anytime recently. And now it is actually raining heavily! Celebration!! Before this we had had only 0.30" this month and only 6-7" since mid November. We hadn't had 1"+ since mid January. Will this be the first since then? Edit: No because it lasted only ~15 minutes. But that was still enough to deposit a beautiful ~1/2", which is equivalent to 2-3 waterings.

Radar shot as of 2:42 PM: beautiful!

Radar052222at1842Z1stHeavyRainSAVinMonths.thumb.png.e30e44fda36003756d4b8f4b71322030.png

That 2nd thunderstorm ended up giving me ~0.25" to get me to ~0.75" for the day. That will go up as I'm now I'm getting a 3rd storm, including a nearby CTG strike. Meanwhile, the more inland airport (KSAV) is finally getting some measurable rainfall as they got neither of the first two storms that I got.

Edit: The 3rd storm ended up being the wettest at ~ 1"! The total rainfall from my area to Hunter ended up being in the ~1.6-1.75" range, which makes it slightly wetter than 1/16/22 and thus the heaviest since 11/5-7/2021.

At KSAV, the total was much lighter at 0.64" but even that was the heaviest in 2 months.

Radar052322at0012Z3rdStormTodaySAV.thumb.png.11d94b8141b410c8f05636deffb09715.png

I swear, those two heavier precip areas split right around my house and  passed by either side.  We had thunder all afternoon with nothing but a brief shower, then this leaves us out of most of the fun...

• Sad 1