• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Observations 2022

yotaman

The airport’s high today was 89, making it the hottest of the year to date. So far, May is coming in significantly warmer than normal. Not good as this is enhancing the dry conditions. Only ~10% of December-April periods were drier than 2021-22.

In this area and extending into far S SC and most of the FL peninsula, we're having both the hottest temperatures of the year to date and the hottest in the entire country as of noon EDT. This is being made possible at least in this area by very dry soils resulting from rainfall of only 50% of normal since December. Non-irrigated soils not in the shade are almost as hard as concrete.

At noon, it is already 87 at KSAV vs 79 at noon yesterday, when the high was the hottest of the year to date at 89, and vs 83 at noon two days ago when the high was 87. So, 90s are easily on the way with partly sunny skies and hot westerly winds not allowing for modification by the cooler ocean. 850 temps will peak near +18C.

Noon EDT temperatures:

050522at16zUSTempsHotDeepSE.jpg.ca9257175cfecb715e73b4f6fbc0cba9.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GaWx said:

In this area and extending into far S SC and most of the FL peninsula, we're having both the hottest temperatures of the year to date and the hottest in the entire country as of noon EDT. This is being made possible by very dry soils resulting from rainfall of only 50% of normal since December. Non-irrigated soils not in the shade are almost as hard as concrete.

At noon, it is already 87 at KSAV vs 79 at noon yesterday, when the high was the hottest of the year to date at 89, and vs 83 at noon two days ago when the high was 87. So, 90s are easily on the way with partly sunny skies and hot westerly winds not allowing for modification by the cooler ocean.

Noon EDT temperatures:

050522at16zUSTempsHotDeepSE.jpg.ca9257175cfecb715e73b4f6fbc0cba9.jpg

91º in Hogtown, "feel like" is 96º (at Noon), and no rain in sight ... perfect conditions for N FL wildfires I fear ... :weep:

• Sad 1

KSAV made it to 92 at 4 PM, hottest by 3 for this year to date. Here's the US map as of 4 PM EDT (20Z) showing the highest temperatures (and heat indices for that matter) in the US outside of some SW desert locations are in the deep SE: (Edit: high was 93, which is two off the record)

050522at20zUSTempsHotDeepSE.jpg.f07317a8428ac4546e73943e1036f7d6.jpg

This is so strange ... 34% chance of rain (after 2:00 AM until 5:00 AM), under a severe thunderstorm watch (until 10:00 PM), nothing on the radar for 125 miles, and the birds, the tree frogs and the crickets are going absolutely choral bonkers ... :huh:

• Confused 1

Welcome back spring! After summer-like wx during some of last week, my area is pleasant today and this will last through Thursday it appears with dewpoints mainly in the 50s and 40s til then. Doesn’t get much better than that, especially considering the duration, in the 2nd week of May!

But with the good there’s often also the bad. The bad is lack of rainfall as we’ve had only half our normal since 12/1/21! We might get an increase late week due to a retrograding low coming westward from well offshore, but that is highly speculative as amounts may still end up light.

Regardless, I’ll enjoy the next 4-5 days!

• Like 1

Current temp at 54 headed down to low 40s.  It was a great Mothers Day weather wise. As I mentioned in another post, yesterday marked the 30th anniversary of GSPs latest snowfall.  I remember sitting at a red light on Woodruff Road in Greenville headed to work that morning when snow and sleet started hitting the windshield.  I was thinking today that it snowed in 1992 only 8 weeks and 2 days before the 4th of July!   Crazy when you think about it.   

• Like 2

I just took an unusually pleasant 2nd week in May evening walk here with it in the low 60s, a nice NE breeze, and dewpoint near 50. I didn’t sweat at all. It is now 60. Such a nice change from much of last week when it got as hot as 93 with summer-like humidity!