Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

12 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Very patch around this area yesterday.  I didn't record any rain but watched and heard a thunderstorm about 5 miles west of me.

Yea.  They were slow movers.  Where it did rain it rained hard, but a lot of places missed out.  There wasn't a ton of thunder here, just occasional soft peals, but the rainfall rates were very tropical.  There was just under 2 inches here yesterday, but there was far less just a few miles north and west.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

On a serious note though, heading deeper into convective season when rains are less likely to be homogenous so will probably be haves and relative have nots, as usual.

It would be nice to have a progressive MCS coming out of the west for once this year.  I get tired of going between a ridge where the good convection is always NW, and a subtropical cutoff where it's just cloudy muggy soup with not a lot of instability to work with.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, frostfern said:

Yea.  They were slow movers.  Where it did rain it rained hard, but a lot of places missed out.  There wasn't a ton of thunder here, just occasional soft peals

I haven't heard this phrase, found out peal is a synonym of ring/clang.

TWN at the last min forecast storms both thurs and fri and I never had anything. I'm not complaining. Its cloudy today, mix of sun and clouds isn't present!

Noticed something interesting in ORD's numbers for this month.  16 days will be below average and 15 will be above average, but despite that, the month will finish +3.x, so significantly in positive territory.

When the warmth came, it really came.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:43 PM, CheeselandSkies said:

Thunderstorms rolling in here, pretty sure I looked at my NWS point yesterday and it had partly sunny with no PoP.

I'm always amazed at summer time's convection/sky cover to pull the pants down on local forecast offices repeatedly. And people think forecasting in Sarasota is simple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting. Nine times between about 4 and 5 o'clock KIND hit 87.8 degrees yet when the 6 hour max came out it rounded down to 87.

It was the first what I call warm day around these parts. The Sun felt kind of brutal.

11 hours ago, Baum said:

I'm always amazed at summer time's convection/sky cover to pull the pants down on local forecast offices repeatedly. And people think forecasting in Sarasota is simple.

It's such a regular occurrence that you'd think they'd cover all bases by accounting for such an potential outcome in their forecasts.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Another minor light rain event this morning dropped 0.09".  Today, the storms will redevelop well east and south of my area.  I have officially made it through May with zero thunderstorms.  My May rain total is 2.63" (avg is ~4.50").

I had zero Thunderstorms for May too.  The thunderstorm drought the last several years has been real.  I remember constant booming from storms when I was a kid.

4 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

I had zero Thunderstorms for May too.  The thunderstorm drought the last several years has been real.  I remember constant booming from storms when I was a kid.

I was just going to post that I had just that one afternoon a few weeks ago with many rumbles of thunder but no real t-storm for May here, I'm at 3-4 storms for 2022 with 1 occurring in both March and April. I'm curious if I can make it through this heat without a storm, crazy if I do. I had one flash and a few rumbles during the historic Ontario derecho 10 days ago.

Awesome day so far, I'm sitting at 32C/89F with the highest DP so far making it feel like 36C. Its very unstable with many roll clouds. I'm beaming after the terrible spring of clouds and non-heat like low 20s that still feels too cold. I must live in a climate like Phoenix has.

6 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

I was just going to post that I had just that one afternoon a few weeks ago with many rumbles of thunder but no real t-storm for May here, I'm at 3-4 storms for 2022 with 1 occurring in both March and April. I'm curious if I can make it through this heat without a storm, crazy if I do. I had one flash and a few rumbles during the historic Ontario derecho 10 days ago.

Awesome day so far, I'm sitting at 32C/89F with the highest DP so far making it feel like 36C. Its very unstable with many roll clouds. I'm beaming after the terrible spring of clouds and non-heat like low 20s that still feels too cold. I must live in a climate like Phoenix has.

You will never get the spring you want in Canada if you can't handle temps around 70F.  Most would probably say that is tolerable for outdoor activities other than swimming.

• Like 1