• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

The dewpoints crashed from above 70 yesterday afternoon into the low 40s this afternoon.  87 was the high both yesterday and today, so no temperature change.  Just went from tropical warmth to semi-arid warmth.  It seems like the mid-Michigan backdoor dryline is a new climate feature as of late.

• Like 1

Northern Lower Michigan just torched today.

Record highs set today:

Traverse City: 96° (86°, 1944) also the highest temp recorded in the month of May

Pellston: 91° (87°, 2004)

Gaylord: 90° (84°, 1991)

Alpena: 89° (87°, 2004)

Houghton Lake: 87° (tied, 1991)

Other MI records toppled:

MBS: 88° (86°, 1991

GRR: 87° (86°, 1896)

Muskegon: 91° (83°, 2011)

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

MDW hit 95.  Will have to wait for the final number for ORD but it'll either be 91 or 92 (92 would tie the record)

It’s so obvious ORD is cold biased. Any reason why the sensor itself can’t be replaced?

24 minutes ago, Maxim said:

It’s so obvious ORD is cold biased. Any reason why the sensor itself can’t be replaced?

I wonder if it's really cold biased or if it's moreso that it lost the warm bias that it had on daytime highs.  Chi Storm would remember better than me but I believe there was a period of time where there was a lot of construction happening around the ob site.  I think the ob location also moved to a different location on the airport grounds, so maybe that is a factor?

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I wonder if it's really cold biased or if it's moreso that it lost the warm bias that it had on daytime highs.  Chi Storm would remember better than me but I believe there was a period of time where there was a lot of construction happening around the ob site.  I think the ob location also moved to a different location on the airport grounds, so maybe that is a factor?

This is pretty telling...

KORD.png

13 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah if you look at MDW vs ORD 2020 was definitely an anomaly where ORD had a warm bias. Compared to MDW at least. I am using the NWS Monthly Summarized NOWData, average temps at MDW vs ORD

image.thumb.png.be8a168e0a1e9d6be3495df1c869f2aa.png

image.png.1a250203e485ebcefba4360b2d48fdbb.png

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

The 96 in Traverse City is insane.

The low of 74 yesterday morning in Rockford barely held on through 1AM …so a new all-time warmest min temp record for May was set. Old record 73 on 5/22/1905.

Traverse City is a terrain-induced hot spot whenever the wind is SE.  It's normally only about 3 degrees warmer though.  It's strange as the lapse rate would have to be super-adiabatic on the extreme end to get 6 degrees warmer than Gaylord (based on elevation alone), but it has happened before.  It's kind of a meteorological mystery to me how that city can get so toasty.

That construction is still happening, and will increase quite a bit over the next few years as I-490 is built.

15 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

past few days have been real best climo here lakeside with just enough cooling to keep it from being hot

AC unit spewing water. This early heatwave might have done it in. Wake me, when September comes.

• Haha 1