Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Yep, good point. It’s 90/73/100 here, just before noon…unbelievable. 

The lake cooling doesn't seem to have a lot of teeth so far away from the area near the shore.  ORD and MDW both have decent easterly winds and yet they are both hovering near 90.

• Like 1

The lake cooling doesn't seem to have a lot of teeth so far away from the area near the shore.  ORD and MDW both have decent easterly winds and yet they are both hovering near 90.

I noticed that as well, have been waiting for the lake front to move thru but its almost 3:45 and we’re here at 86 degrees in the West Loop of Chicago

23 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Another record at MLI today with at least 95.  DVN hit at least 95, and hit 96 here.  Peak index reached 105 here, and at least 103 at MLI.

Today's 96 beat all of last year for here, the hottest it got last year here was 95 in August.  

What an extraordinary airmass.

Most exciting weather iyby since the 2020 derecho?

41 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Another record at MLI today with at least 95.  DVN hit at least 95, and hit 96 here.  Peak index reached 105 here, and at least 103 at MLI.

Today's 96 beat all of last year for here, the hottest it got last year here was 95 in August.  

What an extraordinary airmass.

The heat alone is impressive, but the dews are incredible. Can almost watch the grass grow 

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

The 70mph winds back on March 5th of this year is still the winner for this year, but this stretch of heat and humidity is extremely impressive.

Yeah, this heat/humidity combo is more anomalous.  We can't put it in the same league as the total freakshow in March 2012, but it's still going to be memorable.  I'd maybe rank it alongside something like the late September 2017 heat wave.

• Like 1

Well Madison officially did not cross below 70 on the hourly obs, therefore Madison just broke the record for earliest 70+ minimum ever. The previous record from was 71 on May 18th, 1877 from the looks of things. So not only did we beat it, we beat it by 7 days. And even crazier yet, the low was only 72 degrees. The earliest low that warm wasn't until May 24th, 2010. So we beat out our first 70+ degree minimum by a week and our first 72+ minimum by almost 2 full weeks. Just an absolutely insane heat wave for this time of year. Up there with November 2020 and September 2017 for the A-tier of unusually anomalous heatwaves in our region. March 2012 and February 2017 being S-tier IMO. 

• Like 1

Some of the fastest temp rises since I started tracking my backyard stats; 3.5C/6F increase in 30 mins. TWN still shows me at 14C lol. I'm at 20C/68F / 8C/46F - RH 50%

High increased to a staggering 31C and likely a touch of humidity. It will be over 30C for 5 hours. Overnight low an equally crazy 17C.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Barring something unforseen, Thursday's record high min for Chicago might get demolished.

Yep - ORD's low was 74 this morning...same as yesterday.  And today's low should hold through 1 AM tonight - although dews may come down a bit later, so it could be close. 

Old record high mins:

May 11th:  70, set in 1881

May 12th:  66, set in 1956

Not often you break a daily record by 8F, especially with a POR of 150 years.

And Rockford's high of 94 yesterday is the hottest day so early in the season in the past 88 years (it hit 96 on 5/9/1934).  Even more amazing - if Rockford's low temp this morning (74) holds, it will set a new May monthly record for the warmest min.  Current record is 73 on 5/22/1905.  In fact, there have only been 5 May days in Rockford's history with a daily min of 70+.  With all that said, I think there's a decent chance (1 in 4?) of dropping below 74 prior to 1 AM.   

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Yep - ORD's low was 74 this morning...same as yesterday.  And today's low should hold through 1 AM tonight - although dews may come down a bit later, so it could be close. 

Old record high mins:

May 11th:  70, set in 1881

May 12th:  66, set in 1956

Not often you break a daily record by 8F, especially with a POR of 150 years.

And Rockford's high of 94 yesterday is the hottest day so early in the season in the past 88 years (it hit 96 on 5/9/1934).  Even more amazing - if Rockford's low temp this morning (74) holds, it will set a new May monthly record for the warmest min.  Current record is 73 on 5/22/1905.  In fact, there have only been 5 May days in Rockford's history with a daily min of 70+.  With all that said, I think there's a decent chance (1 in 4?) of dropping below 74 prior to 1 AM.   

Impressive stats.

To add to this, this looks like it's going to be the earliest back to back occurrence of 70+ degree lows on record for Chicago.  The previous earliest happened on May 17/18 a couple of times.  Not only back to back 70, but it may be back to back lows of 74 which is obviously more impressive.

That batch of rain last night netted 0.86" in town, with 0.98" at the airport. Another round coming in for the afternoon. Flood watch out for the entire N MN region with warnings just outside Brainerd, and up along the CA border from Ely over to I-Falls. Up north, the lakes are just opening up from the thick ice cover these past few days, and there was still snow in the woods, so the Rainy River Basin is full with the rain, and the last of the snow melt.

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Had to lol at the way that was worded.

lol yeah it actually feels noticeably better today with the lower dews combined with much more wind.  

The lawn must be seriously pissed off for getting such a late start in growing this season, as it has grown about 6" in the past 3 days.