Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I continue to wonder if some of the dewpoint progs are overdone.  Raw guidance tries to send dews into the mid to even upper 70s in some areas.  It would be exceptional to pull that off at this time of year, and not like there is much of an assist from evapotranspiration.  Getting dews around 70 or in the low 70s is one thing.  It doesn't sound like much of a difference from mid-upper 70s, but it is at this time of year.

While vegetation is lagging in its growth across the Midwest, on the flip side, you also have a considerably warmer than normal Gulf this season too (in a region where this Spring has been fairly torchy) that will aid in moisture advection northward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

While vegetation is lagging in its growth across the Midwest, on the flip side, you also have a considerably warmer than normal Gulf this season too (in a region where this Spring has been fairly torchy) that will aid in moisture advection northward.

Definitely a late spring bloom this year.  Almost no green trees just green grass. The only green you see is those lime green flowers on some Maple trees and the horsechestnuts. Things are definitely starting to open though which means allergy nightmare pollen.

I took this pic May 4th

FB_IMG_1651943449446.thumb.jpg.528dc5bcce49112a031c210e2aaa0433.jpg

• Like 3

I'm seeing some green here on the west side of the state.  The dominant natural canopy trees here are red maples and red and white oaks, and those are still rather bare looking, but I see small green leaves on a lot of the ornamental trees and understory trees.  Norway maples, birches, and elms are all getting green.

31 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I'm seeing some green here on the west side of the state.  The dominant natural canopy trees here are red maples and red and white oaks, and those are still rather bare looking, but I see small green leaves on a lot of the ornamental trees and understory trees.  Norway maples, birches, and elms are all getting green.

At this point the trees are literally opening by the day. I was out and about today and noticing some green.

5 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Temps down in central Texas are between 105-108 this afternoon.  Seems pretty early for that.  Dews in the 70s are up into southern OK already.  

Very droughty in central TX, which is probably helping.

15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Temps down in central Texas are between 105-108 this afternoon.  Seems pretty early for that.  Dews in the 70s are up into southern OK already.  

Amarillo recorded its earliest 100*F day ever today, by 8 days.

Their records go back 130 years...

• Thanks 1

Summer mode 100% engaged. Getting the pool filled next week, the smell of grills in the air, and everyone in the neighborhood is chipper and out walking.

I absolutely love this time of year, as you know summer is near and the humidity is low. Absolutely top shelf day. 

Dad and I are cooking all the women steaks and twice bakes, finally for the first time this year everyone is outside enjoying the weather with no wind. 

Bring on summer 2022!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Summer mode 100% engaged. Getting the pool filled next week, the smell of grills in the air, and everyone in the neighborhood is chipper and out walking.

I absolutely love this time of year, as you know summer is near and the humidity is low. Absolutely top shelf day. 

Dad and I are cooking all the women steaks and twice bakes, finally for the first time this year everyone is outside enjoying the weather with no wind. 

Bring on summer 2022!

I'm looking forward to no wind. It was very gusty here again today.

Nice weather here with temps in the 50's with a day lake breeze. The lake really keeps temps subdued near the shore during spring, and early summer. Looks like some showers with possible thunder tomorrow into Monday. Temps will rise in to the 60's with a west wind early next week. That'll feel nice.

Grass is greening up fast, but trees are slow to bud leaves. 60's will have them popping quick tho. Bring it!! :) 

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

I'm looking forward to no wind. It was very gusty here again today.

KIND says gusts in the mid 20's for the next three days. Actually for Spring, that is not too bad. Should not have trouble getting the kite to fly if you so choose.

9 hours ago, bowtie` said:

KIND says gusts in the mid 20's for the next three days. Actually for Spring, that is not too bad. Should not have trouble getting the kite to fly if you so choose.

Yeah, well I expect it in March and April, which were in fact quite windy. But we're barreling through May with yet still almost daily winds gusting over 20 and many days 30. Guess I should have taken it to the complaint thread, in which I'm about to post another complaint concerning precip and clouds.

Light rain has been moving thru today with the more mod-hvy stuff staying west and south. High's of 60-65 with off and on shwrs/stms this week. Spring has finally sprung, and it feels good. Will sit out on the deck, and get a little Sun when I can. 

28 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Rain and overcast returning by the end of next week? Really hope we don’t have a summer 2009 redux. 

Not that I'm basing this on anything whatsoever, but I was actually thinking about how weird it would be if the upcoming temps are the hottest that we have until like August or September.

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Rain and overcast returning by the end of next week? Really hope we don’t have a summer 2009 redux. 

fyi. rain, drizzle, cut off lows and chill can last well into june in these parts. you should know this. And your not even affected by the great lakes. Enjoy the next few days of summer as a stretch like this in early to mid may is actually an aberration. Soak in the good times when they occur.

• Thanks 1

We're not going to be too far away from heat advisory conditions Tue/Wed.  If we were to reach the HA threshold of 105 heat index, that would be pretty insane considering we had freeze advisories only about 2 weeks ago.  Doubt a freeze advisory and a heat advisory have ever been within a few weeks of each other before for this area.

• Like 2

looking forward to that first morning (tomorrow) with that feel and smell of summer air, and the distinct feel of a hot and humid day. Early mornings are the best in summer particularly early summer. And even more so after the slog of cold,cloudy, rainy days we've endured. A taste of the bayou in early May...bring it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1